Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by tedmo, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 12:23 PM
United States, FL, Ruskin
Joined Sep 2008
323 Posts
Discussion
terminology

It would be extremly helpful for those of us that wish to reply to those that ask questions if they would get the terminology correct. This info is given throughout all these forums. Most common mistakes are stateing gas, nitro, when glow is meant. Nitro is a component of glow fuel not a fuel by itself. Gas is a totally different fuel and engine. Flaps, flaperons, spoilers, stab, elevator, vertical fin, rudder, type of radio system 2.4,72mgh batteries to be used.Many questions have been answered many times over. Perhaps I'm asking too much but it would help those of us that desire to help if those desireing help would spend a bit of time reading the stickies and other posts.
tedmo is offline Find More Posts by tedmo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2010, 02:22 PM
Globby Gluer
Dundalk, Maryland
Joined Jan 2009
134 Posts
That post should be a sticky. ive seen lots of people mistake glow for gas including myself when i first joined, and i learned the hard way.
Jvelo7892 is offline Find More Posts by Jvelo7892
Old Jan 28, 2010, 02:39 PM
London, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2006
1,491 Posts
[QUOTE=tedmo;14156781]It would be extremly helpful for those of us that wish to reply to those that ask questions if they would get the terminology correct. This info is given throughout all these forums. Most common mistakes are stateing gas, nitro, when glow is meant. Nitro is a component of glow fuel not a fuel by itself. Gas is a totally different fuel and engine. [QUOTE]

While i kinda agree, i also seem to find it a little rude to jump all over a newbie that calls it nitro fuel when there is so much information on the web that calls it Nitro fuel, who are we to attack them when it might be all they've ever known it as, here are examples on RC based sites......

http://www.rc-trucks.org/rc-nitro-fuel.htm
http://www.rcplanet.com/O_Donnell_20...p/odop3520.htm ( O'Donnell selling nitro fuel )
http://www.rchobbies.org/understanding_fuel.htm ( they call it nitro fuel too )
http://rcvehicles.about.com/od/nitro/f/nitrofuel.htm
http://www.nitrorc.com/default2.asp?...rc.com/fuelws/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitro_engine ( nitro engine on wiki, that can't be right, they don't exsist do they ? )
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/837828.asp ( No WAY Hobby People selling NITRO FUEL ??? )

Are you getting my point now ?

PS. I do agree but 99% of the time i know what they are trying to say, especially when there is books like this out there http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Nitro...4713987&sr=1-1
Wayne V is offline Find More Posts by Wayne V
Last edited by Wayne V; Jan 28, 2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 07:46 PM
Registered User Wannabe
Southwest Mississippi, USA
Joined Jan 2008
1,529 Posts
I'm with you, Wayne. I can't imagine why this was made a "sticky". It just wastes space at the top of this forum.

Yes, it is slightly irritating when someone refers to a glow engine as a gas engine. But, it's no big deal. If the questions are too poorly written or if the terminology is so far off that I don't know what the poster is talking about, I won't respond. I do understand the frustration but it's best not to dwell on it.

I'm also not particularly bothered by posts that are full of misspellings, typos and grammatical errors, like the op of this thread. I understand that some people spend more time with their writing - others, less. Heck, sometimes I don't even capitalize. As they say, "it's all good".
rodneygt is online now Find More Posts by rodneygt
Last edited by rodneygt; Jan 29, 2010 at 06:56 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 11:00 AM
London, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2006
1,491 Posts
Still not sure how this became a sticky too, tedmo if correct terminology is what you are after then please have RCG change their "terms" in the forums below.

Racing Boats - Internal Combustion
Nitro and Gas powered RC racing boats.

Nitro and Glow Power Cars
Talk about RC cars with internal combustion engines, starting, and maintenance.
Wayne V is offline Find More Posts by Wayne V
Old Feb 04, 2010, 01:52 PM
United States, PA, Warminster
Joined Dec 2006
153 Posts
If manufacturers can sell more engines by calling them nitro engines rather than glow engines then I'm all for it. While I have my knit-picking hat on, it's 72 MHz and 2.4 GHz. The capitalization I have used is correct.
JPMacG is offline Find More Posts by JPMacG
Old Mar 15, 2010, 08:58 PM
United States, PA, Warminster
Joined Dec 2006
153 Posts
I happened to read this thread again and noticed that I too am an illiterate slob. The term is nitpicking, not knitpicking.

Elsewhere, in another of my old posts I complained that the liner of my OS46FX pealed its nickel plating. Well the liner did not peal, it peeled. I pealed when the liner peeled.
JPMacG is offline Find More Posts by JPMacG
Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:46 PM
Yeppoon Queensland
Joined Oct 2009
242 Posts
I live in Australia and us Ozzie RC'ers find it extremely annoying to continualy see glow engines refered to as "Nitro" engines. My mate who owns one of the best RC hobby stores in Aust. gets quite upset when people use the wrong terms for engines and aircraft. He spends more time than enough in sorting out what people actually want or are looking for.
For the benefit of the unlearned or ignorant, the following are the correct terms and names. These names have been in vogue for all the years that engines have been made and sold.

Glow engine - an engine that is dependent on a glowplug to enable it to start and run. It burns alcohol mixed with castor oil or a combination of synthetic and castor. The fuel may contain a percentage of nito methane but it is called a glow engine and nothing else.

Diesel engine - an engine that runs on a mixture of ether, kerosene and oil. It does not require any external igition source. It may also use nitro mixed with the other ingredients.

Petrol engine - some people call them a Gas engine. Gas in this instance refers to gasoline (a US word). These require an electrial spark to ignite the fuel/air mix and to keep the engine running. The fuel is a combination of petrol and oil. It may contain ( but not very often) a percentage of nitro methane but the engine is still refered to as a petrol (or gas) engine.

The term "Nitro Engine" can refer to almost any engine, even a diesel. The humble diesel engine has been run every concoction with nitro methane you can think of but it is still a diesel engine, not a nitro engine. The name "Nitro" creates a false impression and induces one to think he/she is getting or buying some new technology that is highly powered and used in modern rocket science. Some of the manufacturers jumped in on the act and sold/advertised their engines/cars and planes as nitro powered.
Too many newbies who know nothing about the new hobby that has attracted them, seem to think that a nitro engine is some new spectacular high powered engine that runs on "Nitro" but have no idea what nitro is or what it means. These newbies are not to blame for the incorrect use of this term. They are in fact, victims of fraudulent advertising. The incorrect terminology seems to have stemed from the RC car fraternity and has spread throughout every RC forum. RC car people have only two basic desires. They want speed and more speed, this extra speed is gained by adding nitro methane to the basic fuel mixture. This fuel mixture is used to run/operate a standard/common Glow Engine that drives the car. It is no different to any other glow engine used for a car, a boat or a plane.
It's way past time when the true and correct use of the term "Nitro" should be used. Nitro is an additive that is mixed with the basic fuel, either Methanol, Kerosene or Petrol/Gasoline. It is not a fuel on its own, never was and never will be. To those who make "nitro" engines and/or sell "nitro powered planes", hang your heads low and advertise truthfully.

Joe
Joe'n Kody is offline Find More Posts by Joe'n Kody
Old Mar 24, 2010, 12:56 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2009
1,401 Posts
excellent post!

The names of the engines are not derived from the fuel the burn but the cycle and means of ignition.

So correct terms would be:

2-Stroke Glow (GI)
4-Stroke Glow (GI)

2-Stroke Diesel (CI)
4-stroke Diesel (CI)

2-Stroke Spark Ignition (SI)
4-Stroke Spark Ignition (SI)

term like Gas, Glow and nitro make people lazy.
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle
Old Jul 08, 2010, 09:49 PM
MJF
Waiting Fer Da SEFF
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2010
1,319 Posts
gas and glow wats the diff. in em
MJF is online now Find More Posts by MJF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: got another plane
Old Aug 18, 2010, 04:13 AM
winchester, UK
Joined Jul 2010
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe'n Kody View Post

Quote:
For the benefit of the unlearned or ignorant, the following are the correct terms and names. These names have been in vogue for all the years that engines have been made and sold.
How rude and arrogant to post this in the section named as 'beginners training area'. Unlearned or ignorant?... you sound like the guy at the field who always wants to fiddle with my carb thinking he knows best.

Quote:
My mate who owns one of the best RC hobby stores in Aust. gets quite upset when people use the wrong terms for engines and aircraft. He spends more time than enough in sorting out what people actually want or are looking for.
Perhaps spending the time doing it is the reason why he gets trade?... If he didnt bother then I expect most of his trade would disappear and people would shop online instead. I spend money in my (considerably more expensive than online) LHS because I value the advice and help they offer. No help and advice = me shopping online and saving 1/3 of my cash or more.

Quote:
Too many newbies who know nothing about the new hobby that has attracted them, seem to think that a nitro engine is some new spectacular high powered engine that runs on "Nitro" but have no idea what nitro is or what it means. These newbies are not to blame for the incorrect use of this term.
Joe
Then why slate them for it in the first part of your post? Surely anything that encourages people into the hobby, sport, whatever you want to call it is a good thing? If someone calls it glow I know what they mean, if someone calls it nitro I know what they mean. Where is the harm in gently HELPING them and pointing them in the right direction. If requests for help from people who clearly need it cause you irritation and annoyance then you probably are best keeping away from a forum which generally requires more experienced people to support those needing help.
jimmyhorns is offline Find More Posts by jimmyhorns
Old Aug 18, 2010, 05:51 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyhorns View Post
Then why slate them for it in the first part of your post? Surely anything that encourages people into the hobby, sport, whatever you want to call it is a good thing? If someone calls it glow I know what they mean, if someone calls it nitro I know what they mean. Where is the harm in gently HELPING them and pointing them in the right direction. If requests for help from people who clearly need it cause you irritation and annoyance then you probably are best keeping away from a forum which generally requires more experienced people to support those needing help.
As a newby I really appreciate this sentiment. I just made my first successful solo landing this morning and it wouldn't have been possible without a ton of help from more experienced friends. If you want the hobby to thrive and grow (which incidentally allows for more variety of products and innovation due to a larger market) experienced hobbyists ought to take newcomers under their wing as often as their situation/circumstances permit. Sure its annoying sometimes. I imagine some people feel like going flying is like taking a dozen six year old's fishing by yourself with all of the requests for engine tuning or balancing help. I know my good friend does but he generally does it with a smile because he enjoys watching people succeed at a hobby he has enjoyed for over 30 years.

It seems the natural order of things for someone who has "been there done that" to help those who are younger in the hobby fill in their education gaps so they can perpetuate the hobby into the future.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Aug 25, 2010, 11:09 PM
Joined Aug 2010
29 Posts
As a someone thinking of returning R/C after 30 years
I think so of you are being hard on the new guys on the block.
All of you were new at some time or another. You had to learn the language. you didn't require it by opening box

RTF ARF PNP If most of had to build your own planes from a kit you would not be in R/C. Nitro or glow, never heard of a nitro engine untill I started thinking about returning R/C
nito is a additive to fuel.
Give the new guys time to learn Even that mate from down under
hyed is offline Find More Posts by hyed
Old Sep 03, 2010, 07:26 PM
Foam Av8r
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,350 Posts
Hyed

I Have also examined rude behavior here in the beginner forum, Much more than any other forums on RCG.
I could be way off base but I contribute it to young intermediate pilots who have developed a big ego because they know a little more than the total noobs who are asking questions trying to gain some basic knowledge.
come hang out in the Foamies scratch built forum we have all got past the big ego stage over there
RogueTitan is offline Find More Posts by RogueTitan
Old Sep 06, 2010, 04:43 AM
What goes up must come down
USA, GA, Snellville
Joined Oct 2005
218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJF View Post
gas and glow wats the diff. in em
Gas, Generally use a fuel that is derived from Oil (from under the ground)and are ignited by a spark plug that gets it's high voltage electricity from a timed ignition circuit .

2 Stroke cycle- The spark plug fires every time the crankshaft makes a complete revolution. The piston moves up and down in the cylinder one time and the plug is fired. the cycle is intake/compression the plug is fired and power/exhaust repeat.

4 Stroke cycle- The spark plug fires every second revolution of the crank. The piston moves down in the cylinder, this is the intake stroke. a valve closes and the piston moves up in the cylinder, this is the compression stroke. Now the plug fires and the piston moves down in the cylinder, the power stroke. next a valve opens and the piston moves up in the cylinder, the exhaust stroke. and the process starts again.

Glow, use a fuel derived from methanol (alchyhol ) and is ignited by a glow plug that maintains a high enough temp. to cause the fuel mixture to ignite. the heat is initalized by running an electrical current through the plug and after starting the "Glow" plug is kept hot by the combustion process itself.

2 and 4 Stroke cycle: same as above
PS Please excuse my spelling
jfacky is offline Find More Posts by jfacky
Last edited by jfacky; Sep 06, 2010 at 05:21 PM.