Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 03, 2009, 12:46 AM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,327 Posts
Cool
Preision Aerobatics Katana Vegas With Xerogear LEDs!!! (SEFF Night Flying) - New Vid!

Hi everybody,

At the Toledo show last month I met Chance at Xerogear and was blown away with his lighting system. So, for SEFF we decided to go all out with a night version of our Precision Aerobatics Katana MD (KMD). I initially called it the Knight MD (KMD again) but the spectators and pilots here at SEFF have dubbed it the Vegas MD!

This thing is so bright that it is like its own spotlight It is crazy how it lights up the field and sky below it. Fun Fun Fun!! It is a great night 3D setup.

I will post more pictures of the setup and video from SEFF when I get home but basically it is a few of the www.xerogear.com airplane kits which run straight off the flight battery. They are very easy to install super bright tape LED strips. These guys also have some bullet lights and a controller which allow you to control the lights from your TX.

More later,
Chris Jewett

5/9/09 New video up. Here is some pre-night flying with the Katana Vegas. The after dark stuff is coming.

Precision Aerobatics Katana Vegas - Xerogear LED Lights (4 min 19 sec)
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Last edited by hercdriver7777; May 09, 2009 at 10:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2009, 01:49 AM
Joined Jul 2007
362 Posts
thats friggin awsome
rusty gearz is offline Find More Posts by rusty gearz
Old May 03, 2009, 05:06 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined Jun 2004
1,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hercdriver7777
Hi everybody,

At the Toledo show last month I met Chance at Xerogear and was blown away with his lighting system. So, for SEFF we decided to go all out with a night version of our Precision Aerobatics Katana MD (KMD). I initially called it the Knight MD (KMD again) but the spectators and pilots here at SEFF have dubbed it the Vegas MD!

This thing is so bright that it is like its own spotlight It is crazy how it lights up the field and sky below it. Fun Fun Fun!! It is a great night 3D setup.

I will post more pictures of the setup and video from SEFF when I get home but basically it is a few of the www.xerogear.com airplane kits which run straight off the flight battery. They are very easy to install super bright tape LED strips. These guys also have some bullet lights and a controller which allow you to control the lights from your TX.

More later,
Chris Jewett

That looks like a load of fun!!

Damn I have to do it one day

Shaun
Precision Aearobatics Team
Precision Aerob is offline Find More Posts by Precision Aerob
Site Sponsor
Old May 04, 2009, 08:49 AM
Joined Dec 2006
833 Posts
I see on their site that the kits come with a 2 feet of lights. Can you tell me what the make-up of your kit is?
Mera'din is offline Find More Posts by Mera'din
Old May 04, 2009, 04:21 PM
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mera'din
I see on their site that the kits come with a 2 feet of lights. Can you tell me what the make-up of your kit is?

I used two green yellow kits and two blue red kits. No controller and no bullet lights. Please keep in mind though that this is WAAAAAY more light than you need for night flying. My goal was to have the brightest and most radical 3D night ship at SEFF.

I will post some pics of the setup tonight.
Old May 04, 2009, 06:39 PM
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,327 Posts
A few closeups of the setup

Pics
Old May 04, 2009, 08:18 PM
VFA-132 Privateer
upstate NY
Joined Dec 2003
733 Posts
I can see doing that.... I need a night flyer. Waiting to see the video.
bri_877 is offline Find More Posts by bri_877
Old May 04, 2009, 09:49 PM
Tarpon Springs, FL
Joined Apr 2002
483 Posts
I purchase 5 sets from Luke's RC at SEFF. I did not realize just how bright these were. I trash my glow wire after seeing these sets in action. There were a couple of planes that actually had too many of these light set on them. With full lights on, using the switch they would easily mess with your night vision.
phoneguy is offline Find More Posts by phoneguy
Old May 04, 2009, 11:46 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1 Posts
I would like to Thank hercdriver7777 for all the support and the great job of displaying our products! I am working to clean up the video and I will try and get it posted.

I did want to clarify something - we have a couple of kit options - the airplane kit comes with 4 feet of LEDs and the Foamie kit comes with 2 feet of leds - each comes with two different colors.

Thanks again for all the support from everyone at SEFF and if you have any questions please let me know.

Thanks
xerogear is offline Find More Posts by xerogear
Old May 05, 2009, 12:10 AM
Gonna need a bigger plane . .
Kitsap County, WA, USA
Joined Jul 2007
2,945 Posts
Herc's night KMleD is rad! I have a new purple Katana so I will convert my red one into a night setup, and I am going to copy Hercs. No problems with orientations with his LED scheme.

Another great thing about night flying is the DEAD CALM AIR. I love sunset flying, now I can just go all night long!

The muggles at the park are going to just freak out.

I'm going to try and put some glow sticks down on the runway to add to the effect. Plus that way you can do some real low rollers. Or maybe some white led strips.

This night flying really exceeded my expectations. Herc, thanks for taking the time to post the details.
FlopGun is offline Find More Posts by FlopGun
Old May 05, 2009, 01:56 AM
Registered Abuser
Purf, AUSTRALIA
Joined Jan 2008
1,005 Posts
Did you just jump straight into flying at night with your KMD or did you practice first with a foamie or something cheap?
clintski is offline Find More Posts by clintski
Old May 05, 2009, 07:09 AM
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,327 Posts
Just jump right in. It's easy. First night flying for me was seff last year with the Addiction and a couple of pen lights. With the Vegas setup it is so bright that it is almost like flying in the day time.
Old May 09, 2009, 10:04 PM
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,327 Posts
Hey guys,

Here is some footage of pre-night flying with the Vegas MD. The after dark stuff will be up soon I hope!

Precision Aerobatics Katana Vegas - Xerogear LED Lights (4 min 19 sec)
Old May 09, 2009, 11:17 PM
Registered Abuser
Purf, AUSTRALIA
Joined Jan 2008
1,005 Posts
A picture says a thousand words but a video says just one - SICK!

Light emitting fabric is a technology coming very soon. It will spawn all new ideas and creativity - I wouldn't be surprised if a light emitting film is developed and could be used as covering for our planes!

(BTW, Odds-On says Aflipz picks the song)
clintski is offline Find More Posts by clintski
Old May 09, 2009, 11:35 PM
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintski

(BTW, Odds-On says Aflipz picks the song)
Yes, but will he pick the song on the MX vid I just posted?