SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 09, 2001, 05:13 AM
San Antonio, Texas USA
Joined Feb 2001
1,108 Posts
wow,,my first thermal EVER!!

Just wanted to share an experience. Yesterday, I was flying my miss2 good wind, wanted a long flight(testing newly installed air scoop to handle motor cooling) so I figured I would take her up really high. As I was on the way up I noticed two buzzards over head and figured I would join 'em. I must have had it up around 500 feet or so. The miss2 has a really huge wing (54 1/3") and I could hardly see it. Weather was crystal clear, bright sunshine. Maybe I was over 500 feet, anyway, started getting a little worried, now, getting even higher. Well, started giving it some down stick hoping it would come down a little. The buzzards were now below the plane and it was still climbing,,,WITH NO THROTTLE. I was getting really worried by this time, could hardly see it. Started dialing in down trim to get it down. I was up for about 45+ minutes (1700mah) and still had battery when I landed. The air scoop worked. The motor was cool to the touch,,no problem, worked like a champ. Can say my first thermal was a little scary,,way cool though. Cruz
cruzomatic is offline Find More Posts by cruzomatic
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2001, 05:35 AM
B.C. Canada
Joined Dec 2000
70 Posts
Thermals are great!! I am glad to read about your first thermal. Same thing happened to me. It awesome once you are back on earth isn't it? So, remember, when going thermal hunting, look for the big birds, they will guide you.

GUIS is offline Find More Posts by GUIS
Old May 09, 2001, 11:18 AM
Old Timer
CARMICHAEL, CALIFORNIA USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,921 Posts
If you have normal eyesight your Miss 2 was over 2000 ft high. We SAM people(Society of Antique Modelers) have put altimeters in our models and a model that size in clear skys will be visable at around 3 thousand feet. Eut
Quote:
Originally posted by cruzomatic:
Just wanted to share an experience. Yesterday, I was flying my miss2 good wind, wanted a long flight(testing newly installed air scoop to handle motor cooling) so I figured I would take her up really high. As I was on the way up I noticed two buzzards over head and figured I would join 'em. I must have had it up around 500 feet or so. The miss2 has a really huge wing (54 1/3") and I could hardly see it. Weather was crystal clear, bright sunshine. Maybe I was over 500 feet, anyway, started getting a little worried, now, getting even higher. Well, started giving it some down stick hoping it would come down a little. The buzzards were now below the plane and it was still climbing,,,WITH NO THROTTLE. I was getting really worried by this time, could hardly see it. Started dialing in down trim to get it down. I was up for about 45+ minutes (1700mah) and still had battery when I landed. The air scoop worked. The motor was cool to the touch,,no problem, worked like a champ. Can say my first thermal was a little scary,,way cool though. Cruz
California Condor is offline Find More Posts by California Condor
Old May 09, 2001, 03:50 PM
Tork it or Dork it
Elizabethville,PA USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,198 Posts
Yeah thermals are neat when you catch them. I thermal my Miss2 sometimes. I caught a good one about two weeks ago. Had it up for 55 minutes with a 8x1000nimh.
Ryan Nau is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Nau
Old May 10, 2001, 01:56 AM
San Antonio, Texas USA
Joined Feb 2001
1,108 Posts
Over 2000 feet, maybe closer to 3000,,,,Wow!! I guess I'm not a good judge on height. Yeah, I have great vision. I can honestly say I could hardly see it. It was to the point that I was getting a little worried. Thanks for the info, now I can better estimate height distance. Cruz

[This message has been edited by cruzomatic (edited 05-09-2001).]
cruzomatic is offline Find More Posts by cruzomatic