SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:21 AM
Joined Nov 2010
108 Posts
Paul,

Well I guess I need to talk to you about this DC Area Drone group, as Willowmere park is like 15 mins from my house. Can you link some info to the group. There are tons of places to fly down here that I have never had anyone bother me, and have found to be RF safe for our gear. Thanks for the monitor info.

John
v9climber is offline Find More Posts by v9climber
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:21 PM
United States, VA, Luray
Joined Feb 2004
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pthompson24 View Post
Hi John,

No, I missed the PM, sorry. I got the Craig 15" Monitor at CVS drugstore at the suggestion of this RC group thread...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1127942

I started the Penguin but haven't touched it since. There is just too much going on right now unfortunately for me to do anything much with the hobby. Today would have been a perfect day to fly at Banks but he couldn't make it and though I could of I was much more productive on outdoor tasks at home.

I'm thinking next year I'll be able to get back into the hobby a lot more, maybe even this winter as flying at the local parks is easy when it's cold as no one else is there! I also joined a DC Area Drone group and we met once at Willowmere park in Stafford. They are also frustrated at good places to fly and I mentioned Banks place but wasn't sure Banks was interested in that. I've still been looking at property west of me for fun but I'd be crazy to do something now since I have little time and that pesky fiscal cliff is looming.

Cheers,
Paul
I dont mind the drone stuff.If it flies i like it lol.It sucks i was gone this weekend because the weather was perfect.Just tell the drone guys to join us on this thread so they know when we are going to get together again.
banks is offline Find More Posts by banks
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:40 PM
Sterling, VA, USA
Joined Aug 2007
530 Posts
You are sure right about that Banks! Sunday was better than Saturday and Saturday was awesome! I kept thinking I should be flying but I was making good use of the good weather around the house too so I can only do so much! I will post this thread in the Drone group. I'm sure they would be happy to make the trek and they seemed very nice at the one outing I went to.

Here is the link to the group if you are interested.

http://www.meetup.com/DC-Area-Drone-User-Group/

Thanks,
-Paul
pthompson24 is offline Find More Posts by pthompson24
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:09 PM
Sterling, VA, USA
Joined Aug 2007
530 Posts
Hi John,

They picked that park based on the suggestion of one of the members. They didn't have any special permission but the suggesting member said he had never gotten hassled for flying there and he was right, we didn't have any problems other than the high winds! I wasn't real happy that you couldn't park right next to the field as I have a lot of stuff to drag out there but the guys pitched in to help me carry everything so it wasn't too bad.

I've flown at many places more convenient for me but wouldn't work well for a group so combining the two needs makes it even more difficult. The hope is though that with the power of the group and the internet there will be people like Banks that generously offer up their fields for a great cause!

Cheers,
-Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by v9climber View Post
Paul,

Well I guess I need to talk to you about this DC Area Drone group, as Willowmere park is like 15 mins from my house. Can you link some info to the group. There are tons of places to fly down here that I have never had anyone bother me, and have found to be RF safe for our gear. Thanks for the monitor info.

John
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:36 PM
Joined May 2011
6 Posts
Hey guys,
I just joined the DC area drone meetup group. I haven't spent much time on the forums but I have been looking for people to fly with around here. Looking forward to flying with everyone!

-Jason
JBeloncik is offline Find More Posts by JBeloncik
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:32 PM
United States, VA, Luray
Joined Feb 2004
147 Posts
Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:14 PM
Sterling, VA, USA
Joined Aug 2007
530 Posts
Hi Banks!

Belated Happy Thanksgiving to you as well! Hey just took a look at the weather forcast for this weekend and I've never seen such calm conditions one of these EVER! Early Saturday morning looks like the bomb for flying. Are you going out of town or otherwise disposed? If not what do you think?

http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/laun...=KCJR&state=VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by banks View Post
Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:04 PM
United States, VA, Luray
Joined Feb 2004
147 Posts
Saturday is fine with me.I may not be able to stay out there the whole time with ya but your more then welcome to come out Maybe some other people can make it out also.Just let me know.Did u finish the pengiun yet if so u gotta bring it so i can check it out and bring the octo copter thing with ya also so i can check that out lol.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:33 AM
Fly it like you stole it!
United States, VA, Purcellville
Joined Aug 2009
746 Posts
Hello all! Greetings from Purcellville! I couldn't help but jump in on a DC area FPV thread. We just moved here from Orlando, FL, so I'm still learning the lay of the land, and finding places to fly, and people to fly with. I know it's gotten pretty cold already, but I just wanted to drop a post and say hello.

I have a pretty basic FPV setup by most standards. -Just your standard 1280 Mhz vTx/vRx and camera mounted on a heavily modified twin engine GWS Slowstick that I've been FPVing around the Orlando area for a few years now. I really need to get a better system, honestly... But I'll get there.

The only place I've FPVed from here so far is Blue Ridge Middle School's soccer field, here in Purcellville. But I'd love to find a few more places to fly, and maybe meet up with you guys sometime once the weather warms up!

All the best,

Jason
ODUsurfer is offline Find More Posts by ODUsurfer
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:37 AM
United States, VA, Luray
Joined Feb 2004
147 Posts
ODUsurfer if u want u can come out tomorrow if ya want.There might be a couple from here out there.Just let me know ill shoot ya directions.I think your about an hour and half from me.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:52 AM
Fly it like you stole it!
United States, VA, Purcellville
Joined Aug 2009
746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by banks View Post
ODUsurfer if u want u can come out tomorrow if ya want.There might be a couple from here out there.Just let me know ill shoot ya directions.I think your about an hour and half from me.
Thank you for the invite, but the wife and I are taking the kids down to Colonial Williamsburg this weekend. (not my idea...) Maybe next time!

-Jason
ODUsurfer is offline Find More Posts by ODUsurfer
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:36 PM
Sterling, VA, USA
Joined Aug 2007
530 Posts
Hi ODUsurfer, Welcome to the group. You picked a good area up around Purcellville. I think it's nice up there. I've been looking for raw land or a crappy house and nice land in that area and north of there but all the stars would have to align for me to actually move on it. It's fun to look though!

Banks, I had a rough day today at work and am left with no time or energy to prepare for the trip down so I'm going to have to pass this time. I will probably just find a local park to fly in tomorrow as the wind forecast just keeps getting better. I haven't had time to work on any new equipment or changes to existing except for one thing. I did build the large equipment holder box I had long envisioned but never built. I did it to fly with the DC Drone group at the Willowmere park location. It requires a long walk to get to a good flying area so it was exactly what this box is designed to do and it worked well. That will open up many parks around here where I can't drive to but can wheel this thing to and have everything with me in one trip. This weekend will be a great local test of the system so I can't refuse to go even if I get up a little late to make the trip to your house. I hope you get out to fly some in the fantastic weather it looks like tomorrow will be.

Cheers,
-Paul
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:29 PM
United States, VA, Luray
Joined Feb 2004
147 Posts
Yeah sat and sun are suppose to be nice.I have no planes for the weekend so hopefully ill fly something lol.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 06:29 PM
Sterling, VA, USA
Joined Aug 2007
530 Posts
Hey Banks,

I don't know how the weather worked out for you today but it threw me for a loop up here. I left my house while sunny about 8:30 AM but as soon as I set up in the field the fog rolled in and it was cold and windy. So much for the forecast. I was going to try and wait it out but that didn't last 2 minutes before I packed up an left. Ended up going to the hardware store to get a few things then back to the house to get some work done. The sun didn't come out until 1:30 but I was ready and packed up and went back to the park. It was now a nice day, much warmer with sun and light winds. So I got 5 pretty good flights in and proved I can access some pretty great local parks with my new rig.

Cheers,
-Paul
Old Dec 01, 2012, 07:44 PM
United States, VA, Luray
Joined Feb 2004
147 Posts
It was perfect here all day no fog and no winds.