SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:47 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,411 Posts
Okay thank you! Do you think this airframe would be able to work with a puller? I really don't like the noise, and i tried to do what they said in the link to no avail.
electricrc68 is offline Find More Posts by electricrc68
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2012, 07:23 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricrc68 View Post
Okay thank you! Do you think this airframe would be able to work with a puller? I really don't like the noise, and i tried to do what they said in the link to no avail.
Are you running the motor up indoors or outdoors ? It probably won't be as bothersome outdoors , and you can always use earplugs .
The airframe will work as a puller , but then your motor/prop won't be protected . This guy made his a puller and it looks like he put some kind of skid under the nose .
RC Paper Airplane (part 6) Final Version Flight (3 min 19 sec)
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:17 PM
Joined May 2011
4,411 Posts
Thanks. I ran it outside and inside....both i thought were pretty loud. I mean, i would hate to loose my flying site due to me making too much noise. Its okay if its not protected...i will try my best to be gentle on the maiden. Do you think that i should get some scrap foam and fill up the prop slot again?
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:10 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,903 Posts
Quote:
Thanks. I ran it outside and inside....both i thought were pretty loud. I mean, i would hate to loose my flying site due to me making too much noise. Its okay if its not protected...i will try my best to be gentle on the maiden. Do you think that i should get some scrap foam and fill up the prop slot again?

I don't think leaving the prop slot open will make much difference aerodynamically .
If you do make it a puller , it will change where you position the battery because the weight of the motor will be all the way up front . So once the motor is attached to the nose , check the CG ( still need to be 14" straight back down center line ) and place the battery on the fuselage in a spot ( forward or backward ) to get the correct CG , the LOWER ( closest to the ground ) the better to have the most pendulum effect .
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:16 PM
Joined May 2011
4,411 Posts
Okay thank you. My prop slot is pretty big though....should i still be fine? When you say lower, do you mean it should balance out with the nose down, or am i deciphering that incorrectly?
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:35 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,903 Posts
Quote:
Okay thank you. My prop slot is pretty big though....should i still be fine? When you say lower, do you mean it should balance out with the nose down, or am i deciphering that incorrectly?
To have the correct CG , the plane should balance LEVEL on the CG , with the nose no higher or lower than the tail . But placing the battery close ( 1/2" or so ) to the bottom edge of the fuselage will give you the most pendulum effect ( good for self-righting ) . Just think in terms of : if you had a stick sticking straight up from the top of the plane and put the battery at the top of that stick , then if you held the plane by the tail and nose , the weight of the battery would make the plane want to flip upside down ( pendulum effect ) .
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:50 PM
Joined May 2011
4,411 Posts
Oh okay thanks. Now about the prop slot again...even if its sort of big, it shouldn't effect the flight characteristics?
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:03 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Thinking of building this plane...... what did you use in the way of pushrods? I have a park 450 890 kv, two parkzone DSV130 mg servos, a 30 amp ESC. I would be running an 8x6 on 3S 2200's...... how big should it be?
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:26 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,903 Posts
Quote:
Oh okay thanks. Now about the prop slot again...even if its sort of big, it shouldn't effect the flight characteristics?
If you think it might be a problem go ahead and fill it in with some scrap foam .
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:29 PM
Joined May 2011
4,411 Posts
Thanks. Thats what i did. Now im going to test the sound tomorrow outside...then im going to see if it would be better with the 8x4 prop instead of the 7x6 i bought as well. Not sure if the 7x6 has enough power to pull the plane...mine became a little heavy. Then, im going to try to maiden it tomorrow.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:38 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddict16 View Post
Thinking of building this plane...... what did you use in the way of pushrods? I have a park 450 890 kv, two parkzone DSV130 mg servos, a 30 amp ESC. I would be running an 8x6 on 3S 2200's...... how big should it be?
I use carbon rods for pushrods , but any kind of pushrod used on RC planes will do .
Are you asking how big the plane should be for those electronics ? I would say that if you make it as shown in this thread your electronics will work fine for this plane .
Old Jul 28, 2012, 01:00 AM
20 years on the Internet
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2012
912 Posts
Got her finished today and did the maiden. Winds were 10 with Gusts to 15. She flew great in the wind. With few airplanes available that a new person can fly in the wind this makes this plane a real "GEM". This is now my windy day trainer. Highly Recommended.

I flew my maiden with no expo thinking the small control surfaces would not make her real responsive. My dihedral also was not very great. She is extremely touchy. Add expo if its your first flight. She is also very fast and you can get yourself into trouble quick.

Thank You for this great and simple windy day flier.

I modified my plane a bit with the control surfaces in the back. I cut off the wing tips. I added an Epp nose add on for rough landings.

Mine is built out of DT Foam. Hot glue gun used. Has no support rods of any kind. Is covered in Heavy duty scotch packing Tape. FC 28-12 Motor, 20a Esc. 2 5g servos and 1 9G for the rudder. 7x6 Prop. 1500Mah 3s. CG is exactly at 14 inches from the nose.

Here are some pics and a video. Audio track was replaced due to wind. Wife got tired of filming half way through but turned it back on for the landing.

video 2012 07 27 19 07 14 (3 min 39 sec)

Thanks
Nightstone
Nightstone is offline Find More Posts by Nightstone
Old Jul 28, 2012, 02:56 AM
Joined Aug 2010
2,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstone View Post
Got her finished today and did the maiden. Winds were 10 with Gusts to 15. She flew great in the wind. With few airplanes available that a new person can fly in the wind this makes this plane a real "GEM". This is now my windy day trainer. Highly Recommended.

I flew my maiden with no expo thinking the small control surfaces would not make her real responsive. My dihedral also was not very great. She is extremely touchy. Add expo if its your first flight. She is also very fast and you can get yourself into trouble quick.

Thank You for this great and simple windy day flier.

I modified my plane a bit with the control surfaces in the back. I cut off the wing tips. I added an Epp nose add on for rough landings.

Mine is built out of DT Foam. Hot glue gun used. Has no support rods of any kind. Is covered in Heavy duty scotch packing Tape. FC 28-12 Motor, 20a Esc. 2 5g servos and 1 9G for the rudder. 7x6 Prop. 1500Mah 3s. CG is exactly at 14 inches from the nose.

Here are some pics and a video. Audio track was replaced due to wind. Wife got tired of filming half way through but turned it back on for the landing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_421...ature=youtu.be

Thanks
Nightstone
I'm glad your SUPER EASY flew well ! Video looks great ! Thanks !

Al
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Jul 28, 2012 at 03:12 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:31 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,903 Posts
Quote:
Thanks. Thats what i did. Now im going to test the sound tomorrow outside...then im going to see if it would be better with the 8x4 prop instead of the 7x6 i bought as well. Not sure if the 7x6 has enough power to pull the plane...mine became a little heavy. Then, im going to try to maiden it tomorrow.
Show us some photos and video if you can !

Al
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Jul 28, 2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 01:46 PM
Joined May 2011
4,411 Posts
Yep i will see if i can! Too hot to maiden it today though. Im also running into another problem...when i start up the motor, the plane pulls down toward the ground...why does it do this? I tried giving it more up thrust, but its still doing this.