SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 09, 2014, 12:19 AM
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Sep 2014
31 Posts
Discussion
Hangar 9 1/4 Scale J3 Cub

Did a search, couldn't find a thread on this specific plane. Does anyone own this? I am purchasing one sometime this week.
JKer_2011 is offline Find More Posts by JKer_2011
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2014, 07:12 PM
Frankenmuth, MI
Joined Apr 2006
206 Posts
I've owned one for several years. Nice airplane!
61ahs is offline Find More Posts by 61ahs
Old Dec 10, 2014, 02:50 AM
United States, CA, Half Moon Bay
Joined Apr 2014
507 Posts
I had one with a Zenoah G26, magneto ignition and loved it. I let a friend fly it and he kept doing spins lower and lower until he borked it into the ground and killed it. I miss that plane a lot.
Aryana is online now Find More Posts by Aryana
Old Dec 10, 2014, 07:06 PM
Frankenmuth, MI
Joined Apr 2006
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryana View Post
I had one with a Zenoah G26, magneto ignition and loved it. I let a friend fly it and he kept doing spins lower and lower until he borked it into the ground and killed it. I miss that plane a lot.
Are you still friends?
61ahs is offline Find More Posts by 61ahs
Old Dec 11, 2014, 02:09 AM
Joined Apr 2014
507 Posts
No! LOL!
Old Dec 12, 2014, 10:19 AM
Joined Sep 2014
31 Posts
Going to go pick mine up from the LHS in about 4 hours. Planning on putting the Evolution 33 in it.

Any tips or information to share from any of you that have owned it??
Old Dec 12, 2014, 11:03 AM
Joined Apr 2014
507 Posts
Only that the G26 was too much and made it fly stupid. The G20 would have been totally enough and then you would have to fly around at 1/4 throttle.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 04:12 PM
Joined Dec 2013
273 Posts
My inlaw has the H9 1/4 cub... his has the saito fg36 inverted in the nose... it flies very nice, plenty of pull.

Check the thread fit on those aluminum clevises at the strut ends... sometimes you may get some with a sloppy thread fit... I made my Inlaw some new ones out of some 1/4" mild steel rod... I believe I used a 4mm tap to cut the threads.

John M,
John_M_ is offline Find More Posts by John_M_
Old Dec 12, 2014, 04:39 PM
Joined Sep 2014
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_M_ View Post
My inlaw has the H9 1/4 cub... his has the saito fg36 inverted in the nose... it flies very nice, plenty of pull.

Check the thread fit on those aluminum clevises at the strut ends... sometimes you may get some with a sloppy thread fit... I made my Inlaw some new ones out of some 1/4" mild steel rod... I believe I used a 4mm tap to cut the threads.

John M,
Thanks for the tip.

Finally got home, didn't have most of what I wanted for it in stock, so had to go through the manual and order everything. I did end up ordering the Evolution 33 for it. I also made a couple other unplanned purchases, I now have a Radian Pro too. I'll have to go check out those threads now while I get this thing put together over the winter.
Last edited by JKer_2011; Dec 15, 2014 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Radian typo
Old Dec 15, 2014, 07:34 AM
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
1 Posts
H-9 Cub

I have one of the originals, which came with a G-23, which is plenty. It needs aileron differential to make it fly more scale. Theses are a handful on the ground and will teach you rudder, just like the full scale Cub. Rudder is needed throughout the flight to make it look real in the turns. Mine will do a loop if you build up speed first and will roll in a corkscrew fashion, but you better have plenty of altitude while you learn these. Stall turns look great. These will land at walking speed, but both landings and takeoffs require rudder to make them look scale. Scale takeoffs required a lot of practice, since it wants to leap into the air with those big wings.
fredmcl2 is offline Find More Posts by fredmcl2
Old Jan 18, 2015, 11:32 AM
Joined Sep 2014
31 Posts
All together, now just need to break in the engine and wait on some warmer weather to fly.
Last edited by JKer_2011; Jan 18, 2015 at 11:43 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 11:39 AM
Joined Sep 2014
31 Posts
Pictures set 2
Old Jan 18, 2015, 05:23 PM
Joined Dec 2013
273 Posts
Looks like you got a good one JKer_2011... my H9 pa-18 arrived via "drop kicking"... FedX should rename their "express" service to "Drop kicked Express"... didn't find out the fuselage was busted just forward of the tail until I started putting in the radio gear.. I had it resting on the tailwheel and I kept noticing wrinkle forming in the covering on the side of the fuse, and a grating sound every time I moved it around... turned out the plywood was cracked right through in a couple places... it was either that way before the covering was put on, or it happen during shipment... got it all fixed though.

Yours should fly nice with that Evo 33GX.

John M,
John_M_ is offline Find More Posts by John_M_
Last edited by John_M_; Jan 18, 2015 at 08:07 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 11:50 PM
Coeur d' alene, Id.
Joined Jan 2010
813 Posts
Isn't there enough room to invert that engine, would look a lot better sticking out the bottom than the side. Just saying>

Leroy
Leroy Gardner is offline Find More Posts by Leroy Gardner
Old Jan 22, 2015, 04:15 AM
Joined Sep 2014
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy Gardner View Post
Isn't there enough room to invert that engine, would look a lot better sticking out the bottom than the side. Just saying>

Leroy

It can be inverted and I originally had it that way, but the muffler that was needed to do it required the top of the cowl to be cut out and would look horrible. It also took away any space to mount the ignition, and would have had to do some weird things with the throttle linkage. I also added a servo for remote choke, wouldn't have been able to do that with it inverted either.