Old May 08, 2015, 11:18 PM
Find More Posts by MickeyMoo
Ohio
Joined Oct 2003
484 Posts
Discussion
Nano in PPM mode and XDP emulation

Jim,
I am having trouble getting my nano II in ppm mode. I have several of the nano II and I am currently using one in ppm on a quad I set up a few months ago. I have tried to put two others in ppm mode without success. I go through the binding process and before cycling the power bump the jumper on the b port to change the mode. I am able to get the nano in pwm and extreme 1 successfully but the after setting the nano for ppm the light on the back of the module flashes red and I have no connection. Also when changing modes it seems to skip extreme mode 2 (no fast flashing). Not sure whats going on as I don't remember any issues with the nano I'm currently using in ppm. I'm getting the same results with two separate nanos so I assume its my procedure but I can not figure where I'm going wrong I updated all my nanos some time ago with updater 44.
MickeyMoo is offline Find More Posts by MickeyMoo
Last edited by MickeyMoo; May 14, 2015 at 10:32 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2015, 11:37 PM
Find More Posts by JimDrew
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
16,715 Posts
The first time you apply and remove the jumper (after binding has completed), the LED will turn solid red. At that point disconnect the receiver power and turn off the transmitter. The Nano is in PPM output mode. If you don't have two different speeds of flashing as you cycle through the modes (off/solid/slow flash/fast flash) then you don't have the latest firmware.
JimDrew is online now Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old May 09, 2015, 06:44 AM
Ohio
Joined Oct 2003
484 Posts
Jim I found one of my nano I's. It has all four modes and after putting it in PPM mode and cycling the power the LED on the module is green. The other nano I'm using in PPM mode could be a nano I but I'm not sure. The nano I'm trying to put in PPM mode now is a II. After I go through the binding procedure I bump the B port and the LED turns solid red and I cycle the power. When power comes back on the LED on the module is fast flashing red and I have no connection. I believe all nanos were flashed with updater 44 and are not the latest. I think I'm at 1.9 on the nanos. If this is so, shouldn't I have all 4 modes? Still don't understand why the nano II is not working in PPM. I guess I should update them to the latest firware. Having trouble finding the procedure using the serial link and a nano as the XPD. If I remember I have to use a nano one with the serial link for this to work? Thanks for the help.
Old May 09, 2015, 09:42 AM
Ohio
Joined Oct 2003
484 Posts
Jim, I have it working now Updated the firmware. Two poor assumptions on my part. First I thought the one I had working was also a nano II and second I thought even the older firmware on the unit should support ppm. I thought I updated all my nanos to 1.9 at some time but the updater reported the firmware as 1.1 Wish there was an easy way to visually identify a Rx as a nano I, II or III
Old May 09, 2015, 10:02 AM
Ohio
Joined Oct 2003
484 Posts
Jim, am I correct in that only the nano I will work with the serial link as an XDP?
Old May 09, 2015, 06:47 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
16,715 Posts
All Nano II and III receivers work as an RF transfer with the Serial Link to emulate the XDP hardware. Only Nano I's with the latest firmware have this ability.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 09, 2015, 10:01 PM
Ohio
Joined Oct 2003
484 Posts
Jim not sure why but I am unable to make the nano II's work with the serial link. The nano I works fine. I place the binding plug on the b port and connect the serial link to the Rx - port 6. The light begins to flash fast. I then remove the plug and the light turns solid. Reconnecting the plug, the light flashes several times and goes back to solid. Run the updater(as admin) and have it search for a device and all works fine. With the nano II when I reconnect the plug I don't get several flashes before going back to solid (it just stays solid) and the setup is unable to find my rx in program mode. Is the procedure different with the nano II
Old May 10, 2015, 12:36 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
16,715 Posts
The procedure is the same. Is that Nano II bound to that transmitter module? It has to be bound first.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2015, 03:01 PM
Ohio
Joined Oct 2003
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
The procedure is the same. Is that Nano II bound to that transmitter module? It has to be bound first.
I'm not trying to flash a Tx module. Just trying to use a nano II with the serial link as a XDP to flash other nanos. Most of my nanos are IIs. I can make the serial link and nano I work but not the link and nano II. I'm not having any trouble putting either nano I or II in program mode. The procedure I'm using is 1. connect the serial link to the computer. 2.connect the binding plug to port B on the nano and connect the serial link to port 6 on the nano (light starts fast blinking) 3. remove the binding plug from the nano and the light goes solid. 4. reconnect the binding plug to port 6 on the nano. With the nano I, when I reconnect the plug to the Rx the light flashes several times and then goes solid again and the setup works as an XDP. With the nano II when the plug is reconnected the light just stays solid and the setup does not function and can not find my rx for flashing.. Any suggestions...
Last edited by MickeyMoo; May 10, 2015 at 03:31 PM.
Old May 10, 2015, 04:56 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
16,715 Posts
I will have to look at this when I get into the office tomorrow.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 11, 2015, 05:55 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
16,715 Posts
I followed the instructions here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2188996

I was able to use a Nano 2 and Nano 3 with the Serial Link as a XDP.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 11, 2015, 08:17 PM
Ohio
Joined Oct 2003
484 Posts
Jim I have been using the procedure you linked to. I have pulled 5 nanos from my models. 1 nano I and 4 nano IIs. The nano I and one of the nano IIs works with the serial link. Its step 5 where thing go amiss. 5. Place the jumper back on the binding port (and leave it on). The LED will rapidly flash 10 times and then turn solid red.
I don't get the ten flashes, the light just stays solid and the rx does not function correctly with the serial link. FYI the nano II that worked was at v 1.2 and continued to work when flashed to 1.4. Other than this issue I have had no problems with any of my nanos.
Old May 11, 2015, 08:41 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
16,715 Posts
I am not sure what the issue is. ALL of the Nano II and Nano III receivers had the XDP emulation, no matter what version you are using. Have you verified with the XDP what version these Nanos really are? Check the RF version. Maybe there is an issue with mis-identifying them for updating?
RCG Plus Member
Old May 11, 2015, 10:43 PM
Ohio
Joined Oct 2003
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
Maybe there is an issue with mis-identifying them for updating?
Jim, I have 4 nano I's. They are all marked with tape. The one I have tested works with the serial link as an XDP. Using this setup I have checked the version and firmware of the other nanos. I will pull a couple more rx's from my models and check them. This is an issue I can work around, but I'm still curious whats going on
Old May 12, 2015, 12:48 PM
Ohio
Joined Oct 2003
484 Posts
Jim, I checked some more of my nanos. Found another 5 nano II's that will not enter xdp mode. Also found a nano I and 3 nano IIs that will enter xpd mode. The three II's that work are in glow helis in extreme 1 mode with an x10. These were all at fw 1.2. I believe most or all of the IIs that don't work started at 1.0. It was because I was able to put these right into ppm that the others had me confused in the beginning. Anyways still have not found a reason why some of these IIs will not enter xdp mode Here is a link to a short video of me putting a I into xdp mode and a II that will not. http://gofile.me/2fscZ/3Vy8RPO2
Last edited by MickeyMoo; May 14, 2015 at 10:34 AM.