HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 11, 2011, 12:32 AM
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Joined Dec 2004
166 Posts
Reverse Polarity Error

Hi,
I have two 106B+ chargers and one of them gives a reverse polarity error when I plug in a 4 cell, 5 cell, or 6 cell balancing connector from a battery. It works fine on a 3 cell connector.

The other charger works perfectly when I plug in any cell count balancing connector, so I know the problem is not battery balancing connector wiring.

I just upgraded the firmware to version 3.14 and that did not solve the problem.

Anyone have a idea what the problem may be.

Thanks.
Thumbolino is offline Find More Posts by Thumbolino
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2011, 12:36 AM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,656 Posts
This is not the first time I have heard this sort of thing happening with the ICharger. There have been other reports of odd behavior when going past 3 cells. I do not recall a solution posted because the factory rep (Junsi) likes to handle these things in private chat.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Nov 11, 2011, 01:36 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger-b View Post
As requested by Junsi, heres a video of my calibration procedure.
Have you tried letting go of the buttons after the third beep rather than waiting for the fourth?
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Nov 11, 2011, 02:04 AM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbolino View Post
Hi,
I have two 106B+ chargers and one of them gives a reverse polarity error when I plug in a 4 cell, 5 cell, or 6 cell balancing connector from a battery. It works fine on a 3 cell connector.

The other charger works perfectly when I plug in any cell count balancing connector, so I know the problem is not battery balancing connector wiring.

I just upgraded the firmware to version 3.14 and that did not solve the problem.
You can press STOP for 3 seconds to monitor the voltage of each cell to see if there is any difference between the displayed voltage and your measured voltage? If different, please check if the battery balance port, the wire from balance board to the charger, and the balance board are damaged?

Junsi
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi
Old Nov 11, 2011, 08:12 AM
Charleston, SC
Joined Jul 2006
856 Posts
So I've learned that just connecting lipo's on the parallel board will allow them to "equalize" voltage over time.

Now, I'm ready to parallel charge three 1800Mah 30c lipos in balance charge mode.

Question: how to modify the charge rate? Or do I need to?

Is this the correct screen display prior to starting? 5.4a = 2c charge rate?
Raehm is offline Find More Posts by Raehm
Last edited by Raehm; Nov 11, 2011 at 08:17 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 08:36 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raehm View Post
So I've learned that just connecting lipo's on the parallel board will allow them to "equalize" voltage over time.

Just make sure to parallel the main cables first to avoid frying the tracks of the parallel board.
1.8A x 3 = 5.4A = 1C

Fred
flarssen is offline Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Nov 11, 2011, 08:38 AM
Poland
Joined Nov 2010
462 Posts
Quote:
Now, I'm ready to parallel charge three 1800Mah 30c lipos in balance charge mode.
1C = 1.8 A (one battery)
3P = 3 * 1.8 = 5.4 A (still 1C)
Edit: sorry, I'm late.
LeszekJ is offline Find More Posts by LeszekJ
Old Nov 11, 2011, 08:55 AM
Charleston, SC
Joined Jul 2006
856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flarssen View Post
Just make sure to parallel the main cables first to avoid frying the tracks of the parallel board.
1.8A x 3 = 5.4A = 1C

Fred
On that note, is this the proper sequence?

1. connect charger to power supply.
2. power up.
3. connect main battery plugs (deans connectors)
4. connect balancing plugs.
5. Start charging.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 09:49 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
First post of this thread has a lot of great info.

Snip

Quote:
Connection Sequence

According to our engineer, the main charging port and the balance port has reversed polarity protection respectively.

If the balancing connector has correct polarity, and then connect the main charging port, there is no problem; but if balancing connector has reversed polarity, and then connect the main charging port, it will burn.

Recommended connecting way:

1. Connect iCharger's input power supply, and turn on it.
2. Connect Li batteries' balance port
3. Connect the main charging port's positive pole to cells' positive pole, and then connect negative pole to cells' negative pole (this will avoid striking fire while connecting Li cells).
4. Start charging and discharging...
5. After finishing charging and discharging, pls disconnect the cell and charger, and then turn off the charger's power supply.
------------------------------------------------------------
Please note however this does not take into account parallel balance charging whic as posted is best to first connect the main power leads in parallel to let the batteries reach the same state of charge.

Your sequence will be fine as long as there is no reverse polarity problems.

Some connect main leads and balamcing leads in various random order as many feel that there is not best (correct) sequence. Some have no issues and some do.

There have been Threads here on RC Groups depating parallel charging as long or longer than I have been a member and the only real issues which change are the players.
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Nov 11, 2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 09:57 AM
Charleston, SC
Joined Jul 2006
856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
First post of this thread has a lot of great info.

Snip

------------------------------------------------------------
Please note however this does not take into account parallel balance charging whic as posted is best to first connect the main power leads in parallel to let the batteries reach the same state of charge.

Your sequence will be fine as long as there is no reverse polarity problems.
Understood.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 11:20 AM
Charleston, SC
Joined Jul 2006
856 Posts
I am at 01:18 hrs. and still not done charging. Is that normal for 3 1800's at 1c???
Old Nov 11, 2011, 11:31 AM
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Joined Dec 2004
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by junsi View Post
You can press STOP for 3 seconds to monitor the voltage of each cell to see if there is any difference between the displayed voltage and your measured voltage? If different, please check if the battery balance port, the wire from balance board to the charger, and the balance board are damaged?

Junsi
I'm not using a balance board and have checked all the external wiring. Everything works perfectly when I plug the balance connection into the good charger in an identical way. When I plug into the other charger it immediately says "Reverse Polarity Check Connection" and starts beeping rapidly. Pressing the stop button for 3 sec. does nothing.
Thanks Junsi for your reply and any help with this.
Thumbolino is offline Find More Posts by Thumbolino
Old Nov 11, 2011, 11:33 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Quote:
I am at 01:18 hrs. and still not done charging. Is that normal for 3 1800's at 1c???

Depends on how low the LiPolys were discharged, how bad their inbalance was , how good or bad the cells are ,how the iCharger is set as to when Balancing starts, when charge ends ( C/5 ,c/10 / c/40 and numerious conditions.

If a decent LiPoly is not discharged below 3.7 V per cell and it is balance charged at 1C them 60 to 80 min. is about normal.

SOme cells are not well matched and a batery can stay in the CV / Balancing stage for a very long while especially is balancing is set to Start at CV stage..
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Nov 11, 2011, 11:46 AM
Charleston, SC
Joined Jul 2006
856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Depends on how low the LiPolys were discharged, how bad their inbalance was , how good or bad the cells are ,how the iCharger is set as to when Balancing starts, when charge ends ( C/5 ,c/10 / c/40 and numerious conditions.

If a decent LiPoly is not discharged below 3.7 V per cell and it is balance charged at 1C them 60 to 80 min. is about normal.

SOme cells are not well matched and a batery can stay in the CV / Balancing stage for a very long while especially is balancing is set to Start at CV stage..
finished at 01:38 hrs.

should I try a 2c charge? what would be the amp setting?
Old Nov 11, 2011, 12:40 PM
Poland
Joined Nov 2010
462 Posts
Quote:

should I try a 2c charge? what would be the amp setting?
Out of your charger specification.

BTW connection sequence: make one combined battery (parallel interconnections - main leads at first, then balance connectors), follow procedure described by Junsi.
LeszekJ is offline Find More Posts by LeszekJ
Last edited by LeszekJ; Nov 11, 2011 at 12:50 PM. Reason: connection procedure