HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:27 AM
United States, CO, Loveland
Joined May 2008
445 Posts
Replaced my pull-pull nosegear steering and the nosegear is now reliable. The problem was that my (rather large) crimps could occasionally jam between the clamp on the strut and the air cylinder. The cylinder has to move down to come out of the "uplock" position, but the crimps jamming it could prevent that.

For Ed and those that are flying - please confirm, the best Cg is 13.0" behind the wing/fuse join point ... with the UAT full, main tank empty and the gear DOWN. In order to get this balance point I had to move the ECU battery back against the fuel tank. My receiver batteries are still up front.

Thanks,
Greg
gsm026 is online now Find More Posts by gsm026
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2014, 08:18 AM
United States, TX, Schertz
Joined Mar 2006
1,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm026 View Post
For Ed and those that are flying - please confirm, the best Cg is 13.0" behind the wing/fuse join point ... with the UAT full, main tank empty and the gear DOWN. In order to get this balance point I had to move the ECU battery back against the fuel tank. My receiver batteries are still up front.

Thanks,
Greg
Greg:
My balance is 13" with the gear down, UAT full. Correct. Glad you found the gear problem. All the best wishes for first flight.
Ed
A10pilot is online now Find More Posts by A10pilot
Old Aug 20, 2014, 09:20 PM
Joined May 2008
445 Posts
Maiden flight today. Fellow name James did it for me since I don't have my waiver yet; plan was for me to take over with the buddy box for the second flight.

Acceleration and climb out were great with the K-80, plane trimmed out with only a little up elevator. But the canopy blew off mid-way through the flight, and the big gaping hole definitely made the plane "squirrely" as he put it. The other thing that the crow (probably too much) made the plane want to pitch up and stall. Since Crow was mixed in a Landing flight mode with full flaps, it meant landing with only takeoff flaps. This combined with the residual thrust made it very difficult to slow the plane for landing. He went around once, second try he got it down. Pretty rough landing but the trailing link gear handled it. No damage except the canopy.

So, I did not get to fly it, but I got it back in one piece so I guess all in all it was a successful maiden.

Greg
Old Aug 20, 2014, 10:00 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,591 Posts
Greg:

Great news. How is your canopy attached? Did the hold down mechanism fail?

I realize that others have suggested crow but I have not found it to be necessary. I simply mix about 1/8" to 3/16" down elevator with about 50* of flaps for landing. I do not use flaps for takeoff but I would imagine that about 10-15* would shorten the takeoff distance.

Ed
Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:41 PM
Joined May 2008
445 Posts
Ed,

There was definitely no need for takeoff flaps. The plane was off in maybe 250 feet, could have been less if he tried. I agree with you that crow shouldn't be necessary, but on the other hand anything that will help slow down the plane would be good. The agreement is that I'll remove most of the crow (still leaving a small amount) but I'll rework the flaps to get 3.5" drop (instead of the current 3.0").

Regarding the canopy, the front was held in place by a wooden hook which slid under the lip of the canopy opening, and the back was retained with a thumbscrew. All I know for sure is that the hold down screw in the back didn't fail. It was still there with a portion of the rear canopy attached. We searched for the rest of the canopy in order to do a post mortem, but it landed in the weeds and tall grass east of our field and we couldn't find it. Regardless, one of three things happened:

1. The wood hook or the glue holding it to the plywood plate failed.
2. The front of the canopy tore off of the plywood plate.
3. Since I only had the plywood plate at the very front of the canopy, it's possible that the airflow forces distorted the canopy and pushed it back enough to disengage the hook and let the airstream catch under the canopy.

I am going to do something more substantial this time. I just need to minimize weight since the plane tends to be nose heavy. Our plan is to go out again on Sunday.

Greg
Old Aug 21, 2014, 08:38 AM
Joined Mar 2006
1,591 Posts
Greg:

Thanks for the feed back. PM me when you can.

Ed
Old Aug 21, 2014, 08:22 PM
red76ta
USA, PA, Altoona
Joined Feb 2011
50 Posts
Congratulations on your maiden, Greg! Keep us up to date! I don't know when I'll get back to business on mine, but I will post when I do!

Happy Flying,
Bill
red76ta is offline Find More Posts by red76ta
Old Aug 24, 2014, 04:38 PM
Joined May 2008
445 Posts
Flew it today with the original blue canopy. Much more stable. I reduced the crow and set up a separate switch to disable it, but the combination of about 3.3" of flaps with about 0.25" crow seemed to do really well.

Greg
Old Aug 24, 2014, 07:11 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,591 Posts
Congrats Greg, great news. Wish you many successful flights.

Ed
Old Aug 24, 2014, 08:16 PM
aka JetMan Joe
Joined Feb 2010
2,783 Posts
+1 on the congrats Greg. I'm feeling the pressure to get my started so I can make sure us EDF'ers get some representation here

Joe
MCSGUY is offline Find More Posts by MCSGUY
Old Aug 24, 2014, 09:23 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,591 Posts
Joe, not to worry, I have some updates on my Falcon 120. I have been flying the model with a Dynamax EDF that I converted. I am using the Scorpion 4035-630KV motor on 12S. The system is putting out about 14_ lbs. of thrust. It was putting out 5100 watts at 118 amps and moved the plane at about 145 mph. Anyway, earlier this year I bought one of Tams center bodies and hubs and converted one of my old Dynamax glow fans. I installed an HET 800 685 KV inrunner. Last week I decided to install the fan on my Falcon 120 to see how it did.

However, prior to flying the plane with the new system, I flew it one more time on the old 630KV system. During the flight I had one of the 4S packs fail and ended up making a dead stick. After that I came home and replaced the old fan with the new 685 KV unit. Went out yesterday and the difference was impressive. Plane was airborne and climbing out much better than with the old system. However, after about 2 minutes I noticed that I had no power so I throttled back and then advanced the throttle again and I heard the motor "ratcheting" line the ESC was having trouble timing the motor. About that time I turned to land and I saw some sparks from the back of the plane. As it went sailing by me ready to land I could smell something had burned. Once I got the plane back I discovered that the ESC had decided to let all of its smoke out.

Anyway, Joe to make you feel like you have some company (after cooking the ESC in your Spark) I have attached some photos of the ESC. Please note that this in no way is a criticism of the ESC brand or the batteries. Don't know what caused the failure but the ESC has given me about 100 successful flights. I installed a new Castle 160 amp unit and plan to test fly the new combo this weekend.

Ed
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:11 PM
aka JetMan Joe
Joined Feb 2010
2,783 Posts
Ed, so sorry to see the failure, so glad to see your plane suffered only minor damage. Definitely a good case made for mounting the speed control on the outside of the fuse.

Also looks to me like the ESC just didn't care for the extra power you were enjoying. Pretty clear from the damage pattern it just got pissed and threw a tantrum

Joe
Old Aug 25, 2014, 01:33 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,591 Posts
Joe:
I agree, the ESC was really upset and it let me know in no uncertain terms .

Well this morning I got the plane and some batteries out to do a ground run on the system with the HET 800-685KV motor and the new Castle 160 amp Edge HV. The system put out (on fresh batteries) 4900 watts @ 117 amps and 25.1K rpm. Battery voltage was 49.9. I only ran the fan for about 15 seconds so I know the batteries will drop voltage and stabilize after a bit. I wanted to run the ground test and the first few flights on some Haiyin 5000 mah 40C batteries I have been flying in this plane (with the old Scorpion 630KV setup) for the past two years with good success. Recently I got a set of 6000 mah 65C Dinogy batteries from Mark and I will fly them as soon as I can baseline the system on the old Haiyin's. Once that is done and I can log some performance data I will put the Dinogy batts in.

Recently, after a conversation with Mark I got a set of his saddle packs for my BVM Maverick with my home made EDF conversion. I have a lot of performance data from this setup with the Haiyin 5000 mah batteries so it will be interesting to see how much of a difference the new Dinogy 6600 mah saddle packs make. I do know that the Maverick on the Haiyin's is good for about 170 mph @ abut 94 amps so it will be interesting to see how much of a difference the new saddle packs make in the Mav.

I will post data on both the Falcon 120 and the Maverick when I get the flight in.

Ed
Old Aug 25, 2014, 03:01 PM
aka JetMan Joe
Joined Feb 2010
2,783 Posts
I'm looking forward to the comparison data between the two brands. I'm a big believer in MPH comparisons when all other things are equal, that's where the rubber hits the road baby!

Joe
Old Aug 26, 2014, 05:21 PM
United States, NY
Joined Sep 2012
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm026 View Post
Replaced my pull-pull nosegear steering and the nosegear is now reliable. The problem was that my (rather large) crimps could occasionally jam between the clamp on the strut and the air cylinder. The cylinder has to move down to come out of the "uplock" position, but the crimps jamming it could prevent that.

Thanks,
Greg
Greg
What size mah packs are you using for yourECU and receiver
Just curios
Jim
miclacom is offline Find More Posts by miclacom