HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jun 23, 2012, 10:46 PM
Registered User
dc9guy's Avatar
United States, FL, Miami Beach
Joined Jun 2012
307 Posts
Discussion
Looking for a Nice multicopter

Hi guys, been lurking on here for years.. Over the years been into rc cars, planes, heli's. Want to get back into the rc hobby that I've been out of the last couple of years.

I am really getting into multicopters... Years ago this branch of RC didn't exist and now over the past couple of years there has been an Explosion of quads, hexs, octs.etc.. It's really cool!!

Let me sum this up here.. I have been doing a ton of reading on this forum (Mega Link Index) and I feel like I haven't even hit the tip of the ice burg yet.. .. And I am overwhelmed.from the 100's of systems, kits etc.. I don't know what's old/new.. What's good and what's not.

I am looking for a quad I can build:
1. Costs around 400.
2. Flys gps waypoints by itself. Points I program from my laptop.
3. Can do FPV (maybe in the future if too expensive now)
4. Can carry a camera.

I have no problem piecing a quad together.. My problem is I don't know what electronics to outfit it with!!!

I have pretty good soldiering skills and I've built many things over the years so I am not a complete RC nubbie.
dc9guy is offline Find More Posts by dc9guy
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:28 PM
Registered User
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,958 Posts
Sorry but you are not going to find anything for $400 with the features you listed.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:34 PM
Atomic Playboy
United States, MN, Inver Grove Heights
Joined Jun 2012
218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave View Post
Sorry but you are not going to find anything for $400 with the features you listed.
If he does away with the FPV requirement for now, he can do it. I built my tricopter for about $190 if you include both boards I bought (a KK and a MultiWii). And you can buy a GPS that will work with multiwii for under $40.

Turnigy 9x radio is $53. So we're talking about $300 total. Tricopter costs about the same as a quad also because you have to buy a $20-30 servo for the rear, in lieu of another motor/ESC.
signal15 is offline Find More Posts by signal15
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:39 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2007
414 Posts
I have a multiwii quad I could sell you if you're interested.. it meets all of your criteria except for the GPS part

Multiwii copter - Ballona Lagoon (3 min 4 sec)

Multiwii Quadcopter Night Flying at Dusk over Venice Beach LED UFO (4 min 28 sec)
SGsoar is offline Find More Posts by SGsoar
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2012, 12:05 AM
Registered User
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by signal15 View Post
If he does away with the FPV requirement for now, he can do it. I built my tricopter for about $190 if you include both boards I bought (a KK and a MultiWii). And you can buy a GPS that will work with multiwii for under $40.

Turnigy 9x radio is $53. So we're talking about $300 total. Tricopter costs about the same as a quad also because you have to buy a $20-30 servo for the rear, in lieu of another motor/ESC.
Right but he said a quad. If you start off with nothing you need things like propellers, extra propellers, battery for the Turnigy 9X. You can post all the costs you want but reality is always a little different.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2012, 12:22 AM
Destroyer of G-10
askman's Avatar
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
I always find it interesting that people want "waypoint" programming via GPS. I never could understand why would anyone need that in a multicopter. and frankly, if you want to do FPV long distance, just get an easy glider. multi copter just is not good for that.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2012, 12:50 AM
Registered User
United States, TN, Brentwood
Joined Oct 2010
563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc9guy View Post
Hi guys, been lurking on here for years.. Over the years been into rc cars, planes, heli's. Want to get back into the rc hobby that I've been out of the last couple of years.

I am really getting into multicopters... Years ago this branch of RC didn't exist and now over the past couple of years there has been an Explosion of quads, hexs, octs.etc.. It's really cool!!

Let me sum this up here.. I have been doing a ton of reading on this forum (Mega Link Index) and I feel like I haven't even hit the tip of the ice burg yet.. .. And I am overwhelmed.from the 100's of systems, kits etc.. I don't know what's old/new.. What's good and what's not.

I am looking for a quad I can build:
1. Costs around 400.
2. Flys gps waypoints by itself. Points I program from my laptop.
3. Can do FPV (maybe in the future if too expensive now)
4. Can carry a camera.

I have no problem piecing a quad together.. My problem is I don't know what electronics to outfit it with!!!

I have pretty good soldiering skills and I've built many things over the years so I am not a complete RC nubbie.
One of these for the electronics (there are only two that I know of that do waypoints, and the other is Mikrokopter. A MK flight control costs more than $400, much less the navi and GPS!)

One of these for a frame. $30

Four of these speed controllers will cost you $50 shipped. Better yet, but them pre-flashed with SimonK's code from TC here for $70 incl. donation (trust me, worth it.)

Four motors. I like these. But I'm sure you could find some for about half that amount.

Add some 8" chopped carbon fiber props and you'll have a 'sick' bird. It will carry a camera, but if you want to add a camera mount, you'll have to use some engineering moxy to figure out how to attach it to that frame and where to put your battery.

I'm pretty close to $400. Unfortunately, APM is one of the more complicated flight controllers to learn how to use, and certainly how to tweak for GPS-controlled flight.

I have now answered your question, and likely created at least 200 new ones.

Welcome to the addiction.
DroneBuilder is offline Find More Posts by DroneBuilder
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2012, 01:36 AM
Atomic Playboy
United States, MN, Inver Grove Heights
Joined Jun 2012
218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave View Post
Right but he said a quad. If you start off with nothing you need things like propellers, extra propellers, battery for the Turnigy 9X. You can post all the costs you want but reality is always a little different.
That $190 price I posted included everything but the radio. I could have done it for less, but I ordered better ESC's (which isn't really required because you can flash cheap ones with the SimonK firmware).

Askman brings up a good point also... why do you want GPS waypoints on a multirotor? Your flight times aren't going to be long enough to get it very far from you. MultiWii can do return to launch with GPS and GPS hold position.
signal15 is offline Find More Posts by signal15
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2012, 03:34 AM
Registered User
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,958 Posts
>>That $190 price I posted included everything but the radio.<<

Sure but what camera CAN it carry and for how long.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Last edited by SeismicCWave; Jun 25, 2012 at 02:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2012, 12:31 PM
Registered User
dc9guy's Avatar
United States, FL, Miami Beach
Joined Jun 2012
307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroneBuilder View Post
One of these for the electronics (there are only two that I know of that do waypoints, and the other is Mikrokopter. A MK flight control costs more than $400, much less the navi and GPS!)

One of these for a frame. $30

Four of these speed controllers will cost you $50 shipped. Better yet, but them pre-flashed with SimonK's code from TC here for $70 incl. donation (trust me, worth it.)

Four motors. I like these. But I'm sure you could find some for about half that amount.

Add some 8" chopped carbon fiber props and you'll have a 'sick' bird. It will carry a camera, but if you want to add a camera mount, you'll have to use some engineering moxy to figure out how to attach it to that frame and where to put your battery.

I'm pretty close to $400. Unfortunately, APM is one of the more complicated flight controllers to learn how to use, and certainly how to tweak for GPS-controlled flight.

I have now answered your question, and likely created at least 200 new ones.

Welcome to the addiction.
Thanks for your help guys!! Maybe the you guys are right.. Maybe the GPS waypoint thing is kinda pointless but I've always wanted a Drone... I am looking more towards doing photography.
dc9guy is offline Find More Posts by dc9guy
Last edited by dc9guy; Jun 24, 2012 at 12:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2012, 12:42 PM
Registered User
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Mar 2012
1,356 Posts
camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave View Post
>>That $190 price I posted included everything but the radio.<<

Sure but what camera CAN it carry and for how long.
Bloggie or Fox Horyzon, or a key chain spy cam. You should be able to get 10 minutes out of a quad.
cyberbillp is online now Find More Posts by cyberbillp
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2012, 07:29 PM
Registered User
dc9guy's Avatar
United States, FL, Miami Beach
Joined Jun 2012
307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroneBuilder View Post
One of these for the electronics (there are only two that I know of that do waypoints, and the other is Mikrokopter. A MK flight control costs more than $400, much less the navi and GPS!)

One of these for a frame. $30

Four of these speed controllers will cost you $50 shipped. Better yet, but them pre-flashed with SimonK's code from TC here for $70 incl. donation (trust me, worth it.)

Four motors. I like these. But I'm sure you could find some for about half that amount.

Add some 8" chopped carbon fiber props and you'll have a 'sick' bird. It will carry a camera, but if you want to add a camera mount, you'll have to use some engineering moxy to figure out how to attach it to that frame and where to put your battery.

I'm pretty close to $400. Unfortunately, APM is one of the more complicated flight controllers to learn how to use, and certainly how to tweak for GPS-controlled flight.

I have now answered your question, and likely created at least 200 new ones.

Welcome to the addiction.
Drone Builder.... Will this lift a Go Pro? Or do I need to go Hex?
dc9guy is offline Find More Posts by dc9guy
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:41 PM
Registered User
United States, TN, Brentwood
Joined Oct 2010
563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc9guy View Post
Drone Builder.... Will this lift a Go Pro? Or do I need to go Hex?
It'll lift a GoPro with ease. Here's a video of a buddy of mine flying these motors/props on a similar size/weight airframe. (Granted, the stuff I linked to is cheaper, and not as nice as what he is flying.)

Multiwii Freeimu 0.4.3 10DOF Flight (6 min 0 sec)


Regarding your other statement - don't let these guys get to you! Watching your bird fly waypoints autonomously is an awesome adrenaline rush!!

That said, it would probably be much smarter to START with everything I listed above but use a different/cheaper Flight Control Board that does not have the waypoint capability. I would suggest http://abusemark.com/store/index.php...products_id=30 at about $90 (shipped) loaded with the FreeFlight Firmware.

Perhaps an even better option would be Timecop's Afroctl ST, which can run MK firmware . . . and to which you could add GPS/waypoint features to in the future (by spending an extra $400). Note that if you go this route, you must also add the $15 i2c converter that he sells. Note also that this route would likely be second on the list if we were to order the options from most complex to least complex.

In any case, I think the components I listed will give you a good base airframe regardless of which flight control you use with it.
DroneBuilder is offline Find More Posts by DroneBuilder
Last edited by DroneBuilder; Jun 24, 2012 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Added video.
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:56 AM
Registered User
dc9guy's Avatar
United States, FL, Miami Beach
Joined Jun 2012
307 Posts
Thanks for the help DroneBuilder!!!

Also been looking at one of these... http://www.goodluckbuy.com/kk-mk-mul...ter-650mm.html

I think its a pretty good deal... minus the GPS capability (which I don't mind not having for now) Maybe FPV will be first. The cons are the ESC's. I am not so sure they are good and they are not upgradable with the faster firmware.

So I started pricing the components separately with better ESC's But I found this... http://www.goodluckbuy.com/fiber-gla...lticopter.html

When will the madness stop??.. LOL!!! If I where go with the Spider Hex.. Are 2212 motors still good to go with? I found these.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-Hobbies-1...item1c0b1e72fa ... I think its a really good deal.

Do you like the Multiwii?... http://www.goodluckbuy.com/mwc-multi...breakout-.html
dc9guy is offline Find More Posts by dc9guy
Last edited by dc9guy; Jun 25, 2012 at 01:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2012, 01:03 AM
Atomic Playboy
United States, MN, Inver Grove Heights
Joined Jun 2012
218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc9guy View Post
Thanks for the help DroneBuilder!!!
Do you like the Multiwii?... http://www.goodluckbuy.com/mwc-multi...breakout-.html
I had a KK board before, and I just put my Crius MultiWii board in a couple of days ago. I love it. Even with the accelerometers turned off, it flies 100 times better than my KK board ever did. And there are a lot more options for modifying the behavior than there are on the KK board.
signal15 is offline Find More Posts by signal15
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted Looking for a nice off road car or truck for my grandson ronzer Cars - Trucks and Parts (FS/W) 9 Apr 29, 2013 09:27 AM
Wanted Looking for the Banana Hobby MIG-29 and will trade for my multicopter jasper7821 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 May 09, 2012 07:48 PM
Found looking for nice DX5E for my dad peg-leg Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 1 Feb 26, 2012 10:49 PM
Help! looking for good multicopter under $10k swshouse Multirotor Talk 3 Dec 01, 2011 01:30 PM