HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:58 AM
Newbe learning everyday!
United States, OH, Parma Heights
Joined Aug 2012
794 Posts
I know this is a little off topic, but this seems to be one of the more active threads on here. So can I use a Futaba tx with a spectrum rx? I might be able to get a really good deal on a Futaba, but if it won't work with my spectrum receivers it won't be such a good deal. I also have a few orange rx's that I use in my trainer planes.
dbdukeboy is offline Find More Posts by dbdukeboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:12 AM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
Yes. Spektrum sells modules for futaba radios. Make sure you get a compatible tx and price the module first. (I've got a dm8 nip I'm looking to get rid of).
jtaylor996 is offline Find More Posts by jtaylor996
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:16 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdukeboy View Post
I know this is a little off topic, but this seems to be one of the more active threads on here. So can I use a Futaba tx with a spectrum rx? I might be able to get a really good deal on a Futaba, but if it won't work with my spectrum receivers it won't be such a good deal. I also have a few orange rx's that I use in my trainer planes.
You can only if that Futaba TX has module capabilities. I have Spektrum gear myself. I know that there is a 8 channel module that can be used to fly any of the DSM2 compatible RXs.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:17 AM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,323 Posts
Get yourself a Futaba 9c or newer that is module based and then buy the Spektrum module and you are good to go, however the cost of a TX and module may put you in the sort of money you could buy a Spektrum TX on its own.......and it would be new with a warranty.

Just a thought

Dave

P.S I use a 9c with module and have had it years with no problems, the 9c and 10c were/are great all round TXs with all the mixing you will normally need and do helis and gliders. the only down side is only 12 model memories on the 9c as standard.

Dave
dav3uk is online now Find More Posts by dav3uk
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:18 PM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,323 Posts
A bit off topic but I know people on here use Nanotech lipos. I use 4 Imax B6 chargers and have a range of lipos from various manufacturers that all charge just fine.......BUT.....I have just this last week had 6x 3s 2200mah 35-70c Nano tech Turnigy lipos delivered for a B17 and they take forever to charge, one even timed out at 2 hrs and that had only got 834mah into it, I thought the Nanos were matched etc, etc. cant say I am impressed by them so far.......they work fine but take at least 50% longer to charge than even my Turnigy 2700mah blue standards.......anyone on her know why they are sooooooo long at charging

Dave
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:30 PM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav3uk View Post
A bit off topic but I know people on here use Nanotech lipos. I use 4 Imax B6 chargers and have a range of lipos from various manufacturers that all charge just fine.......BUT.....I have just this last week had 6x 3s 2200mah 35-70c Nano tech Turnigy lipos delivered for a B17 and they take forever to charge, one even timed out at 2 hrs and that had only got 834mah into it, I thought the Nanos were matched etc, etc. cant say I am impressed by them so far.......they work fine but take at least 50% longer to charge than even my Turnigy 2700mah blue standards.......anyone on her know why they are sooooooo long at charging

Dave
geez. let me know.. i was planning to buy one right now 3300mah nano tech turnigy with 25-50 c.. and holding for an explanation for your issue now.. even 2 4s for my mentor.. let me know
BlinkguY is online now Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:54 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlinkguY View Post
geez. let me know.. i was planning to buy one right now 3300mah nano tech turnigy with 25-50 c.. and holding for an explanation for your issue now.. even 2 4s for my mentor.. let me know
I can explain it. You get what you pay for! For the most part I only buy ThunderPower batteries for all my planes and Helis. They cost 3x as much but last 10x as long. They have a warranty and even if you crash and destroy the pack they'll sell you a replacement at 50% price. The Nanos work, but will usually fade sooner than any of the quality packs out there.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:35 PM
Registered Crasher
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
I have some 3300 Gens Ace. They would be my first choice, but stock sucks at hobbypartz. The Gens Ace batteries (specifically the 25C ones) always test up there with the best batteries that cost way more, and sometimes even better (::cough:: thunder power ::cough:.

Nanos usually suck the worst. The regular Turnigy's are going to be better batteries and are cheaper.

I'm now buying Glacier batteries from EPBuddy. They are good and have honest ratings, good test results, and are still pretty cheap. Ships fast from the US.

Also, dav, 1C on those is 3.3A so if your charger only puts out 2A, then it may just be a weak charger issue. I've got a FMA powerlab 6, and I ain't going back! Maybe you should check your charging rate. The B6 should be good up to 5A (just over 1C on these batteries), and should charge them in less than 1 hour. Of course, the batteries may just be bad...
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:51 PM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
I can explain it. You get what you pay for! For the most part I only buy ThunderPower batteries for all my planes and Helis. They cost 3x as much but last 10x as long. They have a warranty and even if you crash and destroy the pack they'll sell you a replacement at 50% price. The Nanos work, but will usually fade sooner than any of the quality packs out there.

-Brian
to be honest i wish i could go ahead and buy thunderpower.. but man!!! 4000mah 4s $100 dollars? my wife will KILL ME!
BlinkguY is online now Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:24 PM
Aylesbury,UK
Joined Apr 2000
1,020 Posts
Quote:
Get yourself a Futaba 9c or newer that is module based and then buy the Spektrum module and you are good to go, however the cost of a TX and module may put you in the sort of money you could buy a Spektrum TX on its own.......and it would be new with a warranty.

Just a thought

Dave

P.S I use a 9c with module and have had it years with no problems, the 9c and 10c were/are great all round TXs with all the mixing you will normally need and do helis and gliders. the only down side is only 12 model memories on the 9c as standard.

Dave
I got a 24 memory campac for my FF9 for a good price recently, pm me if you want the details. I agree a module for the FF9 is a good deal.
Stuey is online now Find More Posts by Stuey
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:29 PM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,266 Posts
Quote:

Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlinkguY View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post

-Brian
I have 3 Turnigy Nano 3300 40C lipos. They charge just fine within one hour's time. I too have the iMax Quatro B6 charger. Just check your manual and make sure you have your settings correct.

As for which lipo is good or bad, Thunder Power aren't any better or worse than a Turnigy, Skylipo, or Blue Lipo. I've been flying electric for 7 1/2 years and sadly my 2 Thunder Power 2250 3S 30C lipos crapped out long before any of my Skylipo & Blue Lipo brands did (So I guess my experience with TP is they cost 3x as much & DIE 10x sooner?). In fact I'm still running my Sky & Blue lipos today. BUT, I also had 2 Thunder Power 2100 15C 3S Pro lite lipos that lasted forever. I had both of them two years before I got my 2250 30C lipos, and still had them 2 years after the 2250's died (the 2250's lasted almost two years). Basically the entire time I've been flying electric, and just gave them away about 3 months ago.

Bottom line, everybody has their story and their "Ten Commandments" for flying. Do what works best for you.
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:11 PM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,323 Posts
I got the Nanos as there seemed to be good feeling about them on them on here, you see them mentioned all over the place in good reports. Now the lipos work just fine, they hold volts well at high amps and dont fade etc so I have no complaints with the usage its just they take so damm long to charge they seem to be forever balancing and they are supposed to be matched cells....... I was only charging at 1c as it was their first few charges so will try a little faster next time and see how they go but kinda wish i had saved the extra money i spent and got a couple extra standard ones.......lol

Dave
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:33 PM
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
736 Posts
I've been using the Zippy Compacts and so far have had zero issues with them. I'm relatively gentle with my batts and typically my flight times are set to only drain them to 70%. I charge at 3c and with 5 batteries can fly all day without pushing them hard at all. While I'm sure there are other batteries as good or better I'm more comfortable buying more of a less expensive battery. Yes, I am cheap! As long as the batteries I purchase function properly and last a reasonable length of time then I'm happy. I also feel that how hard you push the cheaper batteries has a direct effect on their life.

One other thought could in fact be the charger. Even if the charger has enough output to charge the batteries it's the balance amps that determine how quickly they can charge while balancing them. I'm sure someone esle could probably explain this in more detail but the time a charger takes to balance charge is greatly effected by how much mah it can pull out of the higher cell.
ForsheeMS is offline Find More Posts by ForsheeMS
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:57 PM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,323 Posts
I agree its just that Turnigy make these claims about Nanos being matched and low resistance. etc .etc and it seems its rubbish, I have loads of normal Turnigy lipos as well as Loongmax Gens Ace and Overlander and they all charge just fine.

Maybe the 'super low' internal resistance makes the balancing take longer.......anyone out there a 'Guru' on lipos............

Dave
Old Jan 08, 2013, 05:33 PM
Registered Crasher
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
I'm not a guru, but the lower the IR, the higher C you can charge it. Your problem is that your charger does just barely above 1C on this battery.

Get something with some serious output, like 3.3*3*2 = 20A min, which will parallel charge all 3 of your batteries at the same time at 2C, and you'll be done in 30 minutes. Or get a Powerlab or iCharger that can handle 40A and have them all charged in 15 minutes (@4C).

Note: they say 5C charging is good with most batteries today, but I only charge at 3C, just to be safe. The Nano's say 10C, but I'd like to see it done without a fire/explosion (on a 3.3Ah, that would be 33A input, for a charge in just 6 minutes)!