HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by dbeach, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 01:06 PM
Amherst, NH
Joined Apr 2005
379 Posts
Discussion
ALES League News - 2014

ALES fliers,

I want to start this thread with a big "Thank You" to Randy from me and all of the ALES League fliers for his work in establishing the ALES League and the ALES competition format. There is a lot of ALES history in the thread he started back in April 2012, and it would not have happened without Randy's contributions in both time and money.

Today marks the beginning of a new ALES era with me as 'Commissioner' of the league. With any luck we can continue to build upon the foundation that Randy has laid for us.

This thread will serve to provide you with league news over the 2014 season. I welcome your comments and suggestions regarding how we can move forward this year.

I'll start this thread with the topic of league organizational structure. For those of you that don't know, Randy ran the league as a one-man show providing 100% of the time and money required since the league's inception.

What do you think about the idea of league 'Assistant Commissioners' and/or some form of a board of directors. Do we need them? Are there any volunteers or nominations?

David
ALES League website - http://www.ales-league.org
Email - mailto:ales.league@gmail.com
dbeach is offline Find More Posts by dbeach
Last edited by dbeach; Feb 16, 2014 at 01:51 PM. Reason: trying to make sticky didn't work
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2014, 02:46 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,161 Posts
You might want to consider using RC Flightdeck for scheduling and scorekeeping ... pretty nice software package and free!

http://www.rcflightdeck.com/
tkallev is online now Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Feb 16, 2014, 03:40 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,487 Posts
yes, thank you very much Randy... And Lauren as well

it has been a great ride, and without you, I doubt it would have happened.

it's been an amazing thing to watch and to be a part of.

thank you David Beach, for taking it on...we appreciate it.

I have reported the original post and requested a sticky.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Feb 16, 2014, 05:02 PM
WINS - Winch In Nose Sailplane
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,109 Posts
I echo what Kenny said. A job well done for sure.

David, I am more than happy to volunteer my assistance in any way that I can. This job is really too big to do alone and I know there are others out there willing to pitch in with ideas and elbow grease.

Best of luck to you David and to all league participants in 2014.

Preston
jaizon is offline Find More Posts by jaizon
Old Feb 16, 2014, 11:57 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,549 Posts
Randy,

I would also like to add my thanks to you and Soaring Circuits for developing the CAM which is probably the most widely used ALES unit on the market. With this and your tireless promotion of electric soaring, it seems that you clearly helped lead the creation of the ALES format we have come to love. Job well done Randy!

David,

Thanks for taking on the role of Commissioner of the ALES League.

As for assistant commissioners or board positions, I don't know what help you will need but let me know if there is anything I can do to assist.

Will you be leveraging the ESL web site software to support the ALES League? Seems a logical fit since you have done such a brilliant job for ESL and it works so well.

Ed Anderson
www.lisf.org
www.flyesl.org
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Feb 17, 2014 at 12:06 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 09:46 AM
Tailspin
Grand Blanc, Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
436 Posts
Now that the LSF membership have overwhelmingly passed an ESAP you may want to think about adding an ESAP points column to the database for those that are now going to start that program.

Having been close to the ALES formation and part of the rules committee I to have seen the positive effects of having Randy and Loren being the head cheerleaders. Thank you so much for all the time and effort. You did good fokes.

Jack
jiafret is offline Find More Posts by jiafret
Old Feb 17, 2014, 11:10 AM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,793 Posts
I would like to thank Randy and his wife Lauren for their time, energy, enthusiasm and friendship. The ALES League has gotten off to a wonderful start.

Welcome Mr. Beach as you are an excellent choice for taking over the reins. It'll be fun to interact with you this contest season.

All the best from Montana.

Curtis
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2014, 11:44 AM
AMA7224 LSF1832
United States, DE, Seaford
Joined Sep 2008
3,550 Posts
Well done Lauren and Randy for everything you've done for the hobby. Good luck and best wishes to Mr. Beach as he takes the helm, you have a hard act to follow.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Eagle has landed
Old Feb 18, 2014, 06:13 PM
Amherst, NH
Joined Apr 2005
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkallev View Post
You might want to consider using RC Flightdeck for scheduling and scorekeeping ... pretty nice software package and free!

http://www.rcflightdeck.com/
Guys,

I had an interesting discussion with Michael Kranitz of RCFlightDeck today. His site does have a lot to offer us in managing contests. At least a few of the ALES CD's are listing there events there, with some doing pilot registration on his site and some not.

I'd like some feedback (both good and bad) from CDs who have used the site for their contests. There is a lot there, and you can apparently make use of as many or few of the features as you desire.

While I don't want the ALES League to become in any way commercial, using RCFlightDeck to manage event listings is really much like using RCGroups for communication.

How do you guys feel about using RCFlightDeck to manage the ALES League calendar? In the discussion today Michael added both ALES and ESL sanction checkboxes for listed events.

In addition to what is already available on RCFlightDeck today, Michael has committed to providing the capability for loading registered pilot data from his site directly into ESLScore.

If I say RCFlightDeck event listing is required for ALES League, is that a problem?

Remember - silence equals consent.

David
Old Feb 18, 2014, 06:19 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,487 Posts
I'd be willing to give it a try...if you think it can work for us, which I think it might be able to do quite well.
especially with the owners backing.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Feb 19, 2014, 02:43 PM
WINS - Winch In Nose Sailplane
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,109 Posts
Sounds great. I support this.
jaizon is offline Find More Posts by jaizon
Old Feb 19, 2014, 03:03 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,549 Posts
RCFlightDeck - Once you get the hang of it listing your event is pretty easy. I have the LISF ALES, and two TD events listed on RCFlight Deck's calendar but I am not using his registration. I refer people back to the ESL site for registration..

The only ALES-League contest I have listed is the LISF/ESL ALES contest, so where would I register my pilots? Where would I report the scores and where would the standings be reflected?

I am all set-up on the ESL web site for reg and reporting and figured I would have to manually turn in ALES League scores. As I only expect to ever have 1 contests that qualifies for the ALES League it really doesn't matter to me. But it would be nice to have ESL and ALES league reg and score reporting linked.

I am just a user, so if you tell me ESL reg is done on the ESL site, that is where I do it.

If you tell me ALES League is done on RCFlight Deck, that is fine too. But my only ALES League contest will be the ESL/LISF ALES contest, so what do I do?
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Feb 19, 2014 at 03:25 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 04:53 PM
Tailspin
Grand Blanc, Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
436 Posts
The Greater Detroit Soaring and Hiking Society plan on one two day ALES contest 30-31 of August so if I need to use something to register it, let us know. For all you middle America guys, we will have lunch both days and I will get details out soon. Love to see some East Coasters come west for the fun and we have a great camping site to handle those that like that sort of arrangement. I have no idea what the RCFlight Deck is so will look it up when I get some time.

If I have to use it to run my contest, I am not krazy about another software education but if the league demands it I will use it.

Jack
jiafret is offline Find More Posts by jiafret
Old Feb 20, 2014, 08:27 AM
Amherst, NH
Joined Apr 2005
379 Posts
Ed,

Here is what I'm thinking. The ALES League website is completely manual today. My initial interest in RCFlightDeck was to make the ALES League calendar completely automatic. But the more I learned about RCFD the more I realized that the site offers a lot to CD's.

Using their registration allows you to produce a safety sheet and event report that is acceptable to the AMA (no soggy paper to mail - in fact I think AMA will accept the pdf via email). They are apparently also doing AMA number validation and real-time membership checks as pilots register. Both good things for CDs in a worse case scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
The only ALES-League contest I have listed is the LISF/ESL ALES contest, so where would I register my pilots? Where would I report the scores and where would the standings be reflected?
Where you register your pilots is up to you, but I hope you'll pick one place or the other (multiple registration sites leads to confusion). The proposal is that the RCFD listing will be what gets your event on the ALES League home page calendar.

With the planned integration of RCFD registration and ESLScore (more on ESLScore below), all the ALES League CD's will be able to import the pilot list for their events without typing (just as is done for ESL contests today). I'll also be promoting (but not requiring) the use of ESLScore to report ALES League contest results. The goal here is to reduce the administrative burden on both CDs and league scorekeepers.

Quote:
I am all set-up on the ESL web site for reg and reporting and figured I would have to manually turn in ALES League scores. As I only expect to ever have 1 contests that qualifies for the ALES League it really doesn't matter to me. But it would be nice to have ESL and ALES league reg and score reporting linked.
League standings will always be maintained on the respective league websites. Each league has their own way of tallying results and that is not likely to change. So if you run a contest that is 'sanctioned' by both ALES League and ESL you need to send contest results to both league scorekeepers (as well as to the AMA if you do your CD job as hoped). The easy way to link the results reporting will be by using ESLScore.

Quote:
If you tell me ALES League is done on RCFlightDeck, that is fine too. But my only ALES League contest will be the ESL/LISF ALES contest, so what do I do?
Do what is easiest for you and lets you focus on running a successful event. The only new requirement I'm proposing for the ALES league is using RCFlightDeck to get you on the ALES League calendar.

For those of you who are not familiar with ESLScore, here is the link http://www.flyesl.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=450 and a little background. ESLScore is the de-facto scoring program used by the Eastern Soaring League. I'm the author, and have been pleased by all the positive feedback from users inside and outside the ESL. I expect to have the integration with RCFlightDeck and ALES League standings done in time for the 2014 soaring season.

ALES League CD's will not be required to use it, but I encourage everyone to take a look and consider it. It will make my job as ALES League commissioner a lot easier.

David
Old Feb 20, 2014, 08:36 AM
Amherst, NH
Joined Apr 2005
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiafret View Post
The Greater Detroit Soaring and Hiking Society plan on one two day ALES contest 30-31 of August so if I need to use something to register it, let us know. For all you middle America guys, we will have lunch both days and I will get details out soon. Love to see some East Coasters come west for the fun and we have a great camping site to handle those that like that sort of arrangement. I have no idea what the RCFlight Deck is so will look it up when I get some time.

If I have to use it to run my contest, I am not krazy about another software education but if the league demands it I will use it.

Jack
Jack, I know where you are coming from. Frankly, my initial reaction to the RCFlightDeck idea was not great. Another website account? Another password to keep track of? Another potential source for junk email?

I was less skeptical after doing some investigation and getting positive feedback from those that have used it. And I became even more comfortable after having spent some time one-on-one with Michael Kranitz.

I think this will be a good thing for the ALES League. I appreciate your willingness to give it a try. Putting your event on RCFlightDeck will get you on the ALES League calendar. How you do registration is up to you, but you may find the other RCFD features compelling (time will tell).

David