HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:47 AM
Joined Jan 2013
88 Posts
Yeah I'm on the LiFe batteries I got from HK, no issues there, everything balanced perfectly. Did have to pay $50 shipping for my order but I got about $500-$600 worth of stuff at LEAST for $300 plus the $50 shipping. On HK my TX battery was $7 and the RX batteries were $5 or $6 I can't remember... and the digital smart charger was $30 including the brick I had to order for it.

My Turnigy 9X is amazing... I'm about $160 into it total. That is with the 9X itself, the FrSky DJT/Telemetry Receiver combo, SmartieParts board, TelemetrEZ board, ParkEflyer battery adapter cable, LCD backlight and LiFe battery. Now I can shut the XR fanboys up with a pic of my 9X displaying telemetry data on the screen lol. The ER9X firmware is also ridiculously functional and easy to learn/use.
scottydsntknow is offline Find More Posts by scottydsntknow
Last edited by scottydsntknow; Mar 16, 2013 at 10:52 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:49 AM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,544 Posts
scotty! I gonna hafta send ya my 9x, so you can hook a brother up!
whiskykid is online now Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig Mustang 450
Old Mar 18, 2013, 06:34 PM
Joined Aug 2009
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
New here, love the look and feel of this forum and the fact that its on tapatalk. Anyway I stopped flying in the late 90s, still have all my RC stuff from back then and I want to get back into the hobby.
Great thread scottydsntknow !

If you ask me, this hobby has been exploding for the last 5 years or so. Everything getting so cheap. $50 radios and $10 receivers. Arf planes for under $100 . And u-p till now, cheap mail order. But the costs of shipping are growing in leaps and bounds.

I am getting close to 60 now, and I first started at about 8 years old. Control line only. Cox .049 plastic junk that was extremely difficult to even get off the ground, until I got a balsa kit call "lil Satan" Why the demonic name I'm not sure, but they were light enough to actually fly good with .049 engine.

By 10 years, I made my first balsa home made design. Stopped flying at about 13. There were no such things as clubs where I lived, and I never could afford an RC radio. Everything was just too expensive for me.

At 25 I bought a 5 ch radio and a "gentle lady" glider for $100 used. Best thing I ever did. But then again, It was just a hassle to bungy launch, and I only thermaled out once. Up in the attic it went for 25 years. Gas planes were out of the question because of the unavailability of the nitro gas itself, even though I bought one and tried. .35 pylon racer. First flight, the radio failed due to a bad pot in the aileron stick that reversed the aileron. The harder I try to correct, it ended up going in the opposite direction. Of course it took a while to figure this out, and crashed the "lady" a few times. Never got it fixed, the radio that is, not the "Gentle Lady".

Got into some hang gliding after that, but then I hurt my back at work once and that put the dampers on that.

I just love to fly !

And then about 5 years ago I heard about the new brushless motors. I bought a 2228 and 30a esc for $15 . Dragged out the old "lady" , dusted her off and cut the nose off on the band saw, some epoxy and some plywood, and away I went.

WOW I have thermaled that thing so high, I ended up loosing it over the mountains....

I was bitten.

I now have over 25 planes, (lost count) mostly electric. 2 9x radios, one new er9x. A receiver for every plane at only $11 average each. The hobby has become so "cheap" I can't stop buying "boxes" of "stuff" .

But I am having a great time ! I love to fly.

I live in a small town, and I am the only flyer. No clubs around here, so 2.4ghz are the way to go. I was always afraid some one else would turn on a 72mhz somewhere, but it never happened, lucky.

So the question about 2.4 or 72 is a choice of club, or no club. , And 2.4 you can fly just about anywhere with in reason, club or no club.

No club won't stop me from flying. I've never even been to a club, let alone a sanctioned runway. Most time it is off dirt roads.

Then 9x are easy to convert now with all the info out there, although the wiring was "trying" as some of the info was incorrect. All you need is about $6 for the programer and cable, everything else is free software. I found the 9x forums to be rather "trying" with 100's of pages. Reading just got you know where.

So I thought you might like my little history story, and if you need any help, just ask.

I just love to fly.

I just can't understand why know one else around here does. It's so cheap now.

One of my newest contraptions I am working on now is a "confetti smoke trail". The only time you can smoke an electric, is when you know it is coming straight down....

Don't forget to enjoy yourself. I have boats, cars, planes, and helicopters (not very proficient with those yet, but "CHEAP"), even a couple of para gliders I have done nothing with yet, BUT CHEAP AT $15 A PIECE.

My newest build is a 76" biplane with DLE 32cc getting closer to finishing. A Lazy Ace.

My favorite to fly right now is a HobbyKing 55" SE-5A ARF Great plane, takes a beating at under $100 plus electronics, CHEAP 5055 FOR $18 plus shipping. It sure does some mean torque rolls, one after another, and then dances upside down for a few spins almost in the same spot, seeming to just defy gravity.

Every one just says WOW, must of cost you a mint, but little do they know, "CHEAP FUN".

The word is "CHEAP" now, compared to when I was a kid, Considering how much is spent on "Nintendo" in a dark room, inside, in the stale air of a living room, when you can be outside, in the sun, learning all kinds of new skills, and having loads of fun no mater what the age.

I just love to fly!

I had my first heart attack 2 weeks ago for some stupid reason I can't figure, as I have always been very fit, and I am not going to let that stop me now, but it may slow me down a little.

I have lots of repairs to do that I have been putting off, and that will keep me busy until spring and my health comes back.

Thomas.
Lightwave780 is offline Find More Posts by Lightwave780
Old Mar 24, 2013, 10:18 PM
Joined Jan 2013
88 Posts
Sorry to hear you had a heart attack, glad it hasn't got you down. Some ppl are just prone to them, its weird. Some grossly obese person can live to 80 and a 40 year old runner can have a stroke and die so who knows...

I'm very excited to get back up in the air, HobbyKing definitely makes a lot of stuff cheap to do. From servos to receivers to engines... I'm not going to go back to glow, strictly gasoline or electric, probably gasoline all the way. $30/gallon for glow, I just mixed up a 20% batch for $6. The bigger traditional gas engines will be even less as they need less oil. The HK gas engines are DIRT cheap too. Not going to try to mess with that 9cc NGC or whatever but I did bite the bullet and get the Evolution 10cc which HK obviously does not sell... Next aircraft will be some sort of stunt aircraft like an Extra or whatever with a HK 20/25cc gas engine and another $20 telemetry receiver and some HK brand servos.

I'm also LOVING playing with the 9x. I could only dream about something like this when I started flying. Was having a lot of fun simply setting the stupid flap rate when I put the wing of my ARF together today. Slow deploy, 75% with the flick of a switch. Any switch... love the customization with the er9x firmware.
scottydsntknow is offline Find More Posts by scottydsntknow
Last edited by scottydsntknow; Mar 24, 2013 at 10:24 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 03:08 PM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,544 Posts
scotty! I hate too say it, the only thing(not a cure) for your problem," is more building and flying"
whiskykid is online now Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig Mustang 450