HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:50 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Question
Turbines.....

There are some good turbine makers out there, but even smarter people here. Out of all the name brands, which is the best bang for your buck? Lets say your looking for an 18 to 22 lbs thrust turbine, you want good and not hype. Who would you go with? Your trying to save as much as possible, but not sacrifice anything? Your just being a smart shopper.
av8ersteve is offline Find More Posts by av8ersteve
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:13 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8ersteve View Post
There are some good turbine makers out there, but even smarter people here. Out of all the name brands, which is the best bang for your buck? Lets say your looking for an 18 to 22 lbs thrust turbine, you want good and not hype. Who would you go with? Your trying to save as much as possible, but not sacrifice anything? Your just being a smart shopper.
Mate, the best thing you can do is visit your nearest club they fly turbines at, and talk to the guys that just landed. Always try to avoid the ones who just talk too much, J.
jofro is offline Find More Posts by jofro
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:56 AM
UK
Joined Nov 2002
1,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofro View Post
Mate, the best thing you can do is visit your nearest club they fly turbines at, and talk to the guys that just landed. Always try to avoid the ones who just talk too much, J.
Agreed. The original post will only start a pointless brand/flame war that goes nowhere.
HarryC is offline Find More Posts by HarryC
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:59 AM
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2004
1,190 Posts
I'ts always good to know what your local club is flying... but... I don't like to automatically tell people to follow.

Personally... with the way the internet is, and how fast you can get an answer from someone on the other side of the world... there really isn't any reason to just follow.

So... here's my rundown.

1) KingTech: They are the new kid on the block. They have proven that their engines are very reliable... and better yet... Barry is very fast to answer questions, and take care of his customers. Also... they have come out with engines at lower prices than ANY of their real competitors. I highly recommend them !

2) Jet Central: Eric Clap is the man behind this company... and he alone is the key selling point. The JC engines have a life time warranty that's the best in the market. If you have a bad starter, or ECU... he will have one sent out, and you will be flying again in a day or two. If you are at a big event... he has even been known to lend people engines if they had a problem. With that said... their engines aren't cheap, and the early ones did have some problems... but now... they are rock solid. (Early problems were from other suppliers)

3) Wren: Ron Balard is the contact here in the USA... and he will bend over backwards to help people. Their warranty isn't nearly as good as JC or KingTech... but the engines are very good. My buddy has an SS with 50 hr's on the clock... and its running strong.

4) AMT Netherlands: SUPER EXPENSIVE, and heavy. But... unless you crash it into water or sand... chances are.. you will own the engine for the next 20 years, and never have an issue!

5) AMT USA: They didn't evolve like the oversees versions did, but they aren't as expensive, and they are just as good.

6) Jet Cat: They are the grand daddy of the turbine world. They have a good reputation with quality... but their customer service has gone down hill. It could take 4 or 5 weeks to get an engine back from service during the summer. Also... their pricing kind of sucks. (old school pricing) Personally... I don't think I would buy a new Jet Cat because of that. BUT... I would consider a used. (I would do my own servicing)

7) Jet Munt: Good engines, and probably the most innovative. They were the guys to fist put the solenoids under the front cowling to make the install easier. Good prices. And... very quick spool times. Todd at DreamWorks is the service contact. His company is great to deal with.

There are a few other companies... but they aren't as popular for one reason or another... and I don't have any personal dealings with them.

With the comments of "buy what the local guys know"... that can be spread out a little. King Tech, Jet Munt, Wren, Jet Central, and a few others use Xicoy for the ECU. So... they all program, start, and run the same. The only real odd-ball is Jet Cat. They make their own ECU... but you can almost always find someone to help with them. Wren, and Evo Jet was using a different ECU that is similar to the last version of the RAM ECU's... but I think Wren went back to Xicoy because of issues.

If I was to buy a brand new engine right now... and there was no other influence (like a sale) and price was a key... I would buy a king Tech. The K-80 propane start can be had for around $1750. If you contact Barry directly... it could be a few $$$ cheaper.
Dr Honda is offline Find More Posts by Dr Honda
Last edited by Dr Honda; Dec 20, 2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:12 AM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Thanks Dr. That was exactly what I was looking for. Information behind the names of these engines.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:56 PM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Lšn, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,833 Posts
I too would put Kightech as the best choice now days if you are not after a particular feature such as very light, extreme fuel economy, purple color or what your friends use. Almost all engines looks the same inside with only a fiew exeptions ant they all work well with only a fiew exeptions

However I would spend a little extra on the K100 kerostart while at it

A good start would be to buy the RCJI turbine issue and check the list of engines. Most of the data is good :-)

henke is offline Find More Posts by henke
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:29 PM
5kW Club
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Feb 2007
840 Posts
Kingtech +1
racer1 is offline Find More Posts by racer1
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:19 PM
Joined Aug 2008
289 Posts
All the engines that Dr Honda has listed have been around for a few season and have an established reputation for reliability and service support. So now the question to consider is, how much do have budgeted for a powerplant, how much does it weigh,fuel burn, and which one is readily available for your project? IMO, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the powerplants mentioned by Dr. Honda. However, if weigh is an issue, you might want to avoid the AMT/US Microjet brand as it hefty, but durable.
Vantagepoint is offline Find More Posts by Vantagepoint
Old Dec 23, 2012, 03:38 PM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Lšn, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantagepoint View Post
how much does it weigh,fuel burn, and which one is readily available for your project?
Check this for fuel burn. The 20kg thrust engine is priced good but the 10kg thrust one is a bit high comapred to others.

Amirs Big Futura 2,5m (7 min 33 sec)
henke is offline Find More Posts by henke
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:42 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Thanks for all the input guys. After hearing what you guys have said and then doing A LOT of reading and research, I have came to the conclusion that my first, brand new, auto start engine will be a Kingtech. I don't exactly know which one but I'm leaning towards the 140G. Thanks for the help guys.

Steve
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:02 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
2,203 Posts
I am assuming at these prices that you get a pretty complete setup among tubing solenoids, ECU and all that. But are there any brands which are less complete than others, tend to have operating quirks, or where one needs to systeatically replace certain components with better ones for improved reliability. Thanks.

If it is OK with the OP, I'd like to move my engine specific queries over here from my other thread in Fuel Jet Talk. I'm just dipping my toes in as well and have a lot to learn.
TTRotary is offline Find More Posts by TTRotary
Old Jan 07, 2013, 09:34 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,257 Posts
Stay away from JetJoe. Their reputation is terrible! They may have made some improvements from the earlier days.. but they dont come anywhere near the quality and reliability of JetCat and Kingtech aswell as so many other manufactures.

Kingtech seems to be the one moving forward very fast these days. Their prices are about $1000 less than others and they offer free shipping world wide with a Lifetime warrentee. Thats pretty hard to beat. My K100G will be here tomorrow.

When you buy an engine.. you will get everything that is needed to run it ,and dont worry.. Its all top notch components.
vettster is offline Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DTRYER ripped me off!!!
Old Jan 07, 2013, 09:44 PM
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2004
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTRotary View Post
I am assuming at these prices that you get a pretty complete setup among tubing solenoids, ECU and all that. But are there any brands which are less complete than others, tend to have operating quirks, or where one needs to systeatically replace certain components with better ones for improved reliability. Thanks.

Any of the modern engines will come complete. AND... the solenoids, ECU, Pump, etc will all be good quality. Anything can fail... but generally... the parts will live a long life.
Dr Honda is offline Find More Posts by Dr Honda
Old Jan 09, 2013, 02:34 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
2,203 Posts
Good to know...setups that work, for once. That will be new to me...
TTRotary is offline Find More Posts by TTRotary
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:00 PM
Joined Aug 2008
289 Posts
Vettster's remarks about JetJoe are quite accurate. I have witness a few of these engine fail on startup, takeoff, and in flight. We are talking bearing failure and turbine blades coming off. Don't get me wrong, I have bearing failure on a couple of engines when I had exceeded the service interval, but never when the engines were new.

I don't own any Kingtech engines, but have seen enough of them fly to feel pretty good about the reliability, so much so that I am considering a couple of the K-140s for a future twin project. The price is good and from all I heard, the service is to.
Vantagepoint is offline Find More Posts by Vantagepoint