HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:14 PM
This Calls for a Sexy Party
Minneapolis
Joined Sep 2010
639 Posts
Build Log
Fenix 60 Rc conversion

This plane is full EPP ( pretty flimsy but kinda unbreakable )

Fenix 60 current weight it at 80g right now with 1 missing servo, a motor stick, magnet and glue.

Power by 18-11 motor and 6 amps esc, 2 5g servos,Thunder Power Pro Lite V2 250mAH 7.4v 2-cell pack, DSM2 "compatible" parkflyer 2.4 ghz receiver and my Beauty Dx6i
My estimate AUW ready to fly is 95g which will bring wing loading to around 4.5oz/sq ft ( is that too heavy for a 60 cm wing span glider ? )

hopefully this will be my first rc airplane that is comfortable to fly around a small park ( 120ftx 200ft ), i try to fly a 41 inches cessna in this park and almost crap my pant because i run out of space before i can even turn and i force to crash it before i hit someone house
hopefully i will make maiden fly within this month ( if the weather is not cold, windy and snowy )

any idea of how to mount my wing without glue the wing in place ? im thinking about using rubber band but i heard that rubberband doesnt like extremly cold weather ( i live in MN ) and will snap in mid flight.

and should i worry about the flexible poly-dihedral ? the green section is really stiff with 2 piece of carbon fiber, but the white poly-dihedral is really flex, will it effect the way my plane fly ?

Have a nice day
StewieRC is offline Find More Posts by StewieRC
Last edited by StewieRC; Jan 13, 2011 at 07:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2011, 03:22 PM
Check my blog-updated
Columbus,Ohio
Joined Nov 2005
2,133 Posts
any idea of how to mount my wing without glue the wing in place ? im thinking about using rubber band but i heard that rubberband doesnt like extremly cold weather ( i live in MN ) and will snap in mid flight.

Take a look in my blog for the Fenix build I did. It may give ya an idea.
Mayday!Mayday! is offline Find More Posts by Mayday!Mayday!
Old Jan 12, 2011, 03:37 PM
Minneapolis
Joined Sep 2010
639 Posts
Mayday your Fenix look 10 times better than mine so clean

where did you get the wing bolt ? and the ply wood, is there a vendor online ?
and my wing tip is really fluffy, should i worry about that ?

im thinking about using rubber band ( quick and easy ) but im afraid they will freeze and break in mid air
Old Jan 12, 2011, 06:22 PM
Check my blog-updated
Columbus,Ohio
Joined Nov 2005
2,133 Posts
The wing bolt is just a nylon bolt. You can get it at the LHS or Home Depot/hardware store. Also a nut to match.
Ply is thin ply from LHS or hardware store. A little thinner than 1/8.

You could just put a skewer through the leading and trailing edge to use rubber bands. Kinda like what you see on the Areobird planes.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 06:57 PM
Minneapolis
Joined Sep 2010
639 Posts
added 4 magnet. 2 to hold the canopy down, 2 for the wing ( pretty strong right now )
so the wing will be hold down by 2 magnets and rubber band
total flying weight will be 97g, a little on the heavy side.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 07:26 PM
Check my blog-updated
Columbus,Ohio
Joined Nov 2005
2,133 Posts
Magnets are a good option. Especially if they are strong enough.

You'd be surprised as what's heavy. The wing loading is pretty low on these gliders so they can carry some weight. Course then it changes how they fly if too heavy. But they still fly none the less.

Glad to hear you comin along with your build.
Old Mar 07, 2011, 08:08 PM
Minneapolis
Joined Sep 2010
639 Posts
finally the weather is good, i tried it in my backyard ( pretty small ) the elevator is pretty touchy.

here is the problem, the rudder barely work. ( i held it full right i can feel the right wing drop a bit, but it will not turn. ) i just double the rudder area ( moving surface ) it look pretty awkward but i hope it will work.

hopefully i can test it this weekend if the weather is good enough.

good new, i crashed it twice, one hit a tree when i try to turn, both time the plane seem to hold up pretty well.