SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 25, 2010, 08:07 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsec1992 View Post

Its a high quality product, both the FG fuse....
I understand from the HK listing that this has a blow-moulded (in other words, thermo-) plastic fuse, not fiberglass. That means it could be something like the old "Duralene" fuses, and if so, there will be precious little that will stick to it...
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2010, 02:17 PM
Mexico
Joined Aug 2010
77 Posts
Call me a cynic, but all that stuff for that price? Some of it has to be junk! That said, it does look interesting, but I would only buy it planning to replace quite a bit of the electronics. I'll wait to hear from you early buyers!
MrBlu is offline Find More Posts by MrBlu
Old Dec 25, 2010, 11:50 PM
Singapore
Joined Mar 2009
193 Posts
I have this plane - sitting around collecting dust while I wait for the right weather to maiden ...

Refering to some of your comments:
- Don't exactly know what material is the fuse made of. But not a drop of glue is needed for the assembly IF you don't want to use any. The whole plane was put together using screws. I did use hot glue to secure the tail feathers (nice and smooth epo) to the fuse (some kind of composite material)
- Yes, some electronics need to be replaced. The stock ESC was DOA but I had planned to changed it anyway. I also had to replace one of the servo. The motor and the prop/spinner 'looked' OK. But I will probably switch the prop/spinner for something better if the maiden is successful.

Question: Am a sailplane noob. Does the slightly down and left thrust angle guideline also apply to electric sailplanes? Visually, mine appears to be pointing slightly left.

Cheers
JS
jsec1992 is offline Find More Posts by jsec1992
Old Dec 30, 2010, 11:11 PM
Central PA
Joined Dec 2005
1,496 Posts
FYI, fuse is milk carton plastic, similar to there 450 helis. It has ply formers for electros and wing block, and they are glued in with something. I've got a few more flights on it and I'd now say its a sweet flier with a 1300 3s pack. I'm going to make it a night flier. The blow molded fuse and epo wings make for easy lighting options.
TommyB is offline Find More Posts by TommyB
Old Jan 01, 2011, 08:19 AM
United States, NC, Cajah's Mountain
Joined Oct 2006
199 Posts
How would you all rate the thermaling ability of this glider?

Looks like it might do fairly well in thermals from the YouTube videos but the planes seems to be powered most of the time.

Happy New Year
Don
Don Bourdon is offline Find More Posts by Don Bourdon
Old Jan 01, 2011, 08:42 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsec1992 View Post
Question: Am a sailplane noob. Does the slightly down and left thrust angle guideline also apply to electric sailplanes? Visually, mine appears to be pointing slightly left.

Cheers
JS
Down-thrust (well, downward-pointing motor which gives some up-thrust more accurately) is normal for all electric sailplanes, otherwise they tend to climb (sometimes enough to loop from launch) under power. It is also possible to mix in down-elevator trim with throttle.

Left angle is unusual. Normally a little bit of right angle is needed. But I would fly it as the designers intended first and see, maybe this plane needs a little left thrust?
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Jan 05, 2011, 09:14 PM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2009
54 Posts
Hey all- just made an order with HK, (on backorder as everything always is)
I want to get some spare parts too, but nothing shown up onthe HK site- so can anyone recommend off the HK site:

Replacement Cleavises
Spinner
Motor
(will be adding the flaps with some HXT900s too

Its kind of difficult to find any info about the stock stuff it comes with.

I want to have plenty of spares, as the only place I get to fly is a remote batch, and if anything fails, tats it for the few days im there.
Will be putting it on floats - as water landings are the only option there too.
jason128 is offline Find More Posts by jason128
Old Jan 09, 2011, 05:08 AM
Singapore
Joined Mar 2008
315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason128 View Post
Glider with Floats?

Now, that's interesting! Wonder how well she'll glide with all that drag way down there.
DL8698 is offline Find More Posts by DL8698
Old Jan 09, 2011, 05:11 AM
Singapore
Joined Mar 2008
315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvanscho View Post

Left angle is unusual. Normally a little bit of right angle is needed. But I would fly it as the designers intended first and see, maybe this plane needs a little left thrust?
Unless he has been using a motor and prop combination that turns the opposite direction to what we usually have.
DL8698 is offline Find More Posts by DL8698
Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:28 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason128 View Post
Hey all- just made an order with HK, (on backorder as everything always is)
I want to get some spare parts too, but nothing shown up onthe HK site- so can anyone recommend off the HK site:

Replacement Cleavises
Spinner
Motor
(will be adding the flaps with some HXT900s too

Its kind of difficult to find any info about the stock stuff it comes with.

I want to have plenty of spares, as the only place I get to fly is a remote batch, and if anything fails, tats it for the few days im there.
If you can't get a better clevis solder on some metal ones for rudder & elevator and use these connectors for ailerons (but you will need longer rods for ailerons) & flaps. Oddly, HK supply these already for flaps.
Whatever you do DON'T fly with the supplied clevis I had a rudder AND aileron clevis unlock in flight It was bloody hard to get her down!
Berkie is offline Find More Posts by Berkie
Last edited by Berkie; Jan 12, 2011 at 01:27 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 03:23 AM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2009
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkie View Post
If you can't get a better clevis solder on some metal ones for rudder & elevator and use these connectors for ailerons (but you will need longer rods for ailerons) & flaps. Oddly, HK supply these already for flaps.
Whatever you do DON'T fly with the supplied clevis I had a rudder AND aileron clevis unlock in flight It was bloody hard to get her down!
Fantastic thanks for that- will definitely replace them then!
Given the float plane that this is going to replace had the control rods rust out- I'm going to replace them with 1.5mm carbon rod.
The question I have, is will the 750mm rods HK supply be long enough??
jason128 is offline Find More Posts by jason128
Old Jan 12, 2011, 03:38 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,252 Posts
Plenty. The current rods are 690mm.
Are you sure the CF will not flex though?

Kev
Berkie is offline Find More Posts by Berkie
Old Jan 25, 2011, 01:49 PM
United States, NC, Cajah's Mountain
Joined Oct 2006
199 Posts
Hey guys,

I''ve had my Phoenix on backorder since after Christmas. I know several dozen more of us have this plane on backorder from the HK US warehouse, and many more in other HK warehouses.

Bad news -- just read on a HK blog that the US warehouse shipments are pretty much tits up Jan - Feb due to Chinese New Year according to Jason at HK. That's a long backorder. Meanwhile they have our $$$ and we have zip.

Good news -- how about you all that have them fly, fly, fly and let us know what we're missing so as to give us something to look forward to while we wait for ours to arrive?

Paitently waiting in NC,
Don
Don Bourdon is offline Find More Posts by Don Bourdon
Old Jan 26, 2011, 10:01 AM
R.I.P, Aardvark.
Holt, MI
Joined Jan 2009
1,554 Posts
I am also a lurker patiently awaiting some flight and model reports. I am looking at getting a Radian, or possibly a Radian Pro, but the Phoenix's price point is awfully tempting...

Here is the official Hobby King Phoenix 2000 "review:"

HobbyKing - Phoenix 2000 RC Glider (8 min 14 sec)
F-111 John is offline Find More Posts by F-111 John
Old Jan 28, 2011, 08:48 AM
Heli's and gliders, what else?
Nederland, GE, Slijk-Ewijk
Joined Apr 2006
753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkie View Post
Ok, please tel me the diameter of the rods so I can order the right clevises?
BarnOwl is offline Find More Posts by BarnOwl