SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 31, 2010, 10:29 AM
RC Helis: My Healthy Obsession
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
Nice find. The thing is, to get it to me in the U.S. it will end up being the same price delivered anyway. Plus I fly the NRG's in my T250 and Gaui 255 and they are awesome. I like going with what I know works.

BTW, currently working on a very cool mod for this heli. Should be interesting to some of you. Stay tuned...
dkfuji is offline Find More Posts by dkfuji
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2010, 11:39 AM
Joined Jun 2010
78 Posts
Working out the bugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfuji View Post
Nice find. The thing is, to get it to me in the U.S. it will end up being the same price delivered anyway. Plus I fly the NRG's in my T250 and Gaui 255 and they are awesome. I like going with what I know works.

BTW, currently working on a very cool mod for this heli. Should be interesting to some of you. Stay tuned...
Darryl it is nice that you take the time and work on various settings and different set-ups. And then post for us to emulate. I was wondering about head balancing. I balance the entire head on all my helis using the Dubro prop balancer. I even balanced my 4G6S with it. (any one having issues with vibration and balanced the blades using a blade balancer should use this technique. I needed an an inch of blade tape even after using the blade balancer). How would I go about balancing this head. If the head is perfectly balanced it should stay in any position you set it at on the balancer. What technique do you use?
Marc
Lompma is offline Find More Posts by Lompma
Old Jul 31, 2010, 11:57 AM
Italy
Joined Sep 2007
226 Posts
Please anyone got this heli,
can tell me which mode the tx 2801 pro binds into ?
2801 mode or 2601 mode ?
Thanks
dado099 is offline Find More Posts by dado099
Old Jul 31, 2010, 12:31 PM
"you'll play to live "
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Sep 2009
1,732 Posts
Lompma,
Balance each blade individually by checking CG on center, same thing for the others.It takes almost 10' to do.
Hope this help
Alwayscrash is offline Find More Posts by Alwayscrash
Old Jul 31, 2010, 12:33 PM
"you'll play to live "
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Sep 2009
1,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dado099 View Post
Please anyone got this heli,
can tell me which mode the tx 2801 pro binds into ?
2801 mode or 2601 mode ?
Thanks
Bind in 2801, swash : 1 servo-normal.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 02:25 PM
Joined Jun 2010
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwayscrash View Post
Lompma,
Balance each blade individually by checking CG on center, same thing for the others.It takes almost 10' to do.
Hope this help
AC
I find CG on all new blades before I use them but just balancing the blades is not good enough. The head on any heli is never perfectly balanced. I can get all my helis(B400, SR, 4G6S, Trex-250) perfectly balanced using this method. No vibration means better cooperation from a cheap gyro. I used this for my 4G6S because it was bouncing all over the place because of the gyro. After I balanced it, it flies smooth as butter. That right there has sold me on this technique. Give it a try.
Marc
Lompma is offline Find More Posts by Lompma
Old Jul 31, 2010, 02:45 PM
Live to learn. . .
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,489 Posts
First cp flight!!!!

Hi Guys,

I'm ahead of a curve for some of you, and behind a curve for some of you.

What I mean by that is that I've got my 4F200 already (from the very last of the first batch that Wow had), but I'm still getting ready to fly it, as I'm about to make the transition from FP to CP.

I've been flying a few CB100s since November, so here we go. I have sought advice from a few trusted RCG members, and have learned lots in the past few weeks, both about CP and the 2801 Pro (as opposed to the 2802 I've been flying with thus far).

Among the good advice I received, I was directed to the Finless Bob vidoes on HeliFreak, they were very well worth the time to me. I was also given some baseline D/R and Expo numbers for a newbie: D/R 60-70% (60% easier), expo 30-45% (45% easier).

The heli arrived Thursday, looks awesome. I've been chewing away at the heli's and the 2801 Pro manuals. I just finished reading them, and I've also just finished writing down all of the original settings in the tx. I've also taken a picture of the settings on the rx before I change anything. I then set all of the D/R to 60%, and all of the expo to 45%--what the heck, I'm a complete CP newb!

The 2801 manual was not as intimidating (illogical) as I had heard, probably because this heli is 2801 capable, and I'm not having to mess with the 'mode switching for curves' thing that I keep reading about in the original 'Walkera 3-axis gyro' thread.

I have looked her over as carefully as I know how, performed a screw check, and only had to slightly snug two! Jonathan had said that they and Dkfuji had found loose balls at the swash, but mine were tight (Wow tested my heli, of course).

The only weird thing I see is that one of the blade grips has a very slight amount of axial play. It is slight, but the other two have no play at all. At first, I thought, "Ah Ha! I found a loose screw!", but the screw that secures it to it's axle is tight. I don't think it's a problem, but an observation. I'd like to know what other have experienced with regards to this.

The battery is charging now, and my cameraman is coming in a few hours. I plan on disconnecting the motor to check servo travels and also checking CG with that funky little tool before I try to lift-off, but other than that, is there any last-minute advice that anyone wants to give me?

Rafa
Rafa's CB100 is offline Find More Posts by Rafa's CB100
Last edited by Rafa's CB100; Jul 31, 2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 03:00 PM
"you'll play to live "
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Sep 2009
1,732 Posts
Check also servo-ext on RX, tail servo horn have tendence to move all the way toward heli nose and this can strip servo gear! mine's pot was at 8 oclock' instead of nine as stock and heli hover prefectly without tail drag.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 04:02 PM
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
As far as balancing the head goes, I spin the heli with no blades first to make sure the heli itself is smooth. Then add the tail blades and spin her up again and add tape until it is smooth. Then add the mainblades (after initial COG check and balance) and spin her up again at mid stick and check for vibs. At that point it is a guessing game to determine how much and which blade to add weight. I always start with adding tape to the center of the blades but there are times where it had to go a touch towards the root or tip to get it perfect.

On another note, I have completed test flights on one my mod'd 4F200's and initial tests were very good. It is solid in hover and FFF (no 3D yet) and comes in at AUW of 318g. Nice. Here are a couple of pics.

What do you guys think? Is anyone interested in the mod? Just trying to see if there is a want factor.

Darryl
Old Jul 31, 2010, 04:27 PM
"you'll play to live "
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Sep 2009
1,732 Posts
Hey Darryl, why ....two blades? how does it fly compared to stock? are they TR blades?
Old Jul 31, 2010, 05:06 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,973 Posts
I am puzzled by going back to 2 blades. The whole charm of this heli is the 3-bladed design. That's why I even took a look at it and why I'm holding out for the Esky Honey Bee CT. If one wanted a 2 bladed helicopter, there are lots and lots of them out there to buy and mod to flybarless (if that's what you really want). There's even ones that are already flybarless twin blades. Why would anyone seek out a 3-bladed heli and then go backwards to modify it to a 2 blade? One tiny step forward, 2 giant steps back. Sorry, no regression for me, thanks.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Jul 31, 2010, 05:33 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa's CB100 View Post
Hi Guys,

as I'm about to make the transition from FP to CP.

I've been flying a few CB100s since November, so here we go.
is there any last-minute advice that anyone wants to give me?

Rafa
Hi Rafa

If transitioning from CB100 to CP, the best advice I could give you is to add some training gear to your 4F200. Start from the beginning by manuevering your CP on the ground keeping the tail in.
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Jul 31, 2010, 07:02 PM
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwayscrash View Post
Hey Darryl, why ....two blades? how does it fly compared to stock? are they TR blades?
Did it mostly because I could. The other is personal preference. I like 2 blades. I just wanted something smaller than my T250 and Gaui 255 to fly around my driveway. Honestly, since I am not a 3D pilot, it flies just as nice both ways. Yes, they are T250 blades with spacers for the root thickness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
I am puzzled by going back to 2 blades. The whole charm of this heli is the 3-bladed design. That's why I even took a look at it and why I'm holding out for the Esky Honey Bee CT. If one wanted a 2 bladed helicopter, there are lots and lots of them out there to buy and mod to flybarless (if that's what you really want). There's even ones that are already flybarless twin blades. Why would anyone seek out a 3-bladed heli and then go backwards to modify it to a 2 blade? One tiny step forward, 2 giant steps back. Sorry, no regression for me, thanks.
I know, I know. Just having some fun is all. It does have a slight difference in flight characteristics though. I will have to really air her out to see how they affect some mild 3d. Cool with your honesty XV. Thanks.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 07:38 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfuji View Post
Did it mostly because I could. The other is personal preference. I like 2 blades. I just wanted something smaller than my T250 and Gaui 255 to fly around my driveway. Honestly, since I am not a 3D pilot, it flies just as nice both ways. Yes, they are T250 blades with spacers for the root thickness.

I know, I know. Just having some fun is all. It does have a slight difference in flight characteristics though. I will have to really air her out to see how they affect some mild 3d. Cool with your honesty XV. Thanks.
Would like to second XViper, I admire your skills dk, but I don't really understand the motivation ... the one thing that made this particular bird "different" and tempting was the fact that it had a 3-blade head ... well, at least for me. So modding it into a 2blade shows mad building skills, but takes away the one thing that made that heli special ...

... like I said, just my very personal 2Cents. (apart from the fact that I should not and probably nevertheless will not buy this bird, for me temptation is based solely on the 3 blade concept ...)

For me it would definitely stay the way it is for more than just one reason ...

erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I "JUST" made a blog post ...
Old Jul 31, 2010, 08:21 PM
"you'll play to live "
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Sep 2009
1,732 Posts
Setting all BALANCE-delay, ELEV-gyro & AIL-gyro on RX all the way to negative sign will make heli very stable and can be flown around backyard . 3axis gyro only take effect when throtle is high enough (about 1/3),thing will make heli too nervous to fly around narrow space.When going outdoor just turn them back to initial spot, ie: center. I'm not an expert pilot but love to fly around indoor and these settings do give me a lot of ease to fly it.
Also i've notice that heli often have tendence to bank-right when lift off if throtle input is too slow so changing to a wider landing skid will help a lot for tip-over symptom.
Just put here some of my experiences for share, correct me if i'm wrong!
my 2 cents,
Acrash
Last edited by Alwayscrash; Jul 31, 2010 at 08:26 PM.