Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
3,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm View Post
I suggest a new test , whose wife kills them first for cooking EPO lol
ha ha I'm not going there!

A few years back I had horiz stab droop on a foamie I'd left in a car but forgotten to lower the windows a crack.
Other than that, dark coloured paint will absorb heat well over and above lighter coloured cars. In summer here, walk through an external sun exposed car park and find a white car & a black/dark brown/dark red car, parked side by side. Midday in the middle of summer the white car will feel warm. You'll peel skin from the burn you'll get if you place your hand on the roof of the black car. Seriously. You can literally cook an egg on it. And matt is even hotter again
There's good reason why we have the highest rates of skin cancer. In the world

So a foamie stored in a car in the sun will have crazy elevated temps inside so the foam is already kinda baking. Sun hits dark paint on foam, paint heats up dramatically, foam under said dark paint now cooks to the point of pop corn... with similar results
AussieHoppy is offline Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2015, 07:22 AM
Find More Posts by vcjester
Joined Apr 2015
7 Posts

The piece was sitting on some tinfoil, shiny side down. The non bubbled portion was next to the door of the oven, while the bubbled portion was more towards the center of the oven. The bubbles started raising at 180 degrees, but didn't raise that far until I tried it at 190 degrees.
vcjester is offline Find More Posts by vcjester
Old May 18, 2015, 07:29 AM
Find More Posts by vcjester
Joined Apr 2015
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy View Post
ha ha I'm not going there!

A few years back I had horiz stab droop on a foamie I'd left in a car but forgotten to lower the windows a crack.
Other than that, dark coloured paint will absorb heat well over and above lighter coloured cars. In summer here, walk through an external sun exposed car park and find a white car & a black/dark brown/dark red car, parked side by side. Midday in the middle of summer the white car will feel warm. You'll peel skin from the burn you'll get if you place your hand on the roof of the black car. Seriously. You can literally cook an egg on it. And matt is even hotter again
There's good reason why we have the highest rates of skin cancer. In the world

So a foamie stored in a car in the sun will have crazy elevated temps inside so the foam is already kinda baking. Sun hits dark paint on foam, paint heats up dramatically, foam under said dark paint now cooks to the point of pop corn... with similar results
Australia, where 99% of everything there can kill you in seconds, even the car's paintjob.
vcjester is offline Find More Posts by vcjester
Old May 22, 2015, 02:43 PM
Find More Posts by peterswolf
United States, FL, Ruskin
Joined Apr 2012
1,111 Posts
Maiden flight

Managed to get out at lunch today as the winds were perfect for an easy going maiden. I was a little nervous as this was my first flight of a 1700mm plane. I have the carbon cub which is larger, but it's no warbird hehe. All surfaces neutral nice, rates setup close to manual suggestions except I skipped low rate for rudder as I like a lot of rudder I installed a Castle BEC Pro and use a 2S 1000mah pack for receiver and my flight pack is a 6S 4500mah. I did not modify the prop or anything else, just made sure it was balanced good. I use to have the small Durafly Ferocious Frankie so this one looked familiar as it taxied out on the runway, for whatever reason it calmed my nerves a lot. Anyways nice easy take off, need good rudder of course, power is good enough for me, I just like to fly scale, but I can see with how heavy it is why others like more power. Very graceful flyer didn't really need any trim at all. I lined up for landings until I got used to the perspective for such a large plane then I brought her in, easy with half flaps, she settled down no problem. Fantastic plane as I'm sure everyone already knows Looking forward to the other FMS 1700mm series planes that I have in the box still.
peterswolf is online now Find More Posts by peterswolf
RCG Plus Member
Old May 22, 2015, 08:36 PM
Find More Posts by GringoTuerto
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Nov 2013
157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterswolf View Post
Managed to get out at lunch today as the winds were perfect for an easy going maiden.
Congrats on a successful first, and welcome to the club. Looks like a nice field you have there!
GringoTuerto is online now Find More Posts by GringoTuerto
Old May 22, 2015, 08:43 PM
Find More Posts by GringoTuerto
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Nov 2013
157 Posts
I just noticed something the last couple flights that I wondered if other people experienced. In a split-S or similar type of pattern, if I pull up too suddenly, the plane can roll violently to one side. My guess is that if you pull up to sharply while heading straight down, the wing stalls. It isn't as fat as the P-47 wing. I don't think I have high elevator throw, but this happens sometimes when i come out of a loop or Split-S too suddenly. Has anybody else seen this?
GringoTuerto is online now Find More Posts by GringoTuerto
Old May 23, 2015, 02:37 AM
Find More Posts by dambit
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
4,307 Posts
I think it's more to do with the foam flexing more than stalling a wing. These 1700 planes aren't the stiffest airframes around.
dambit is online now Find More Posts by dambit
Old May 26, 2015, 02:35 AM
Joined May 2010
3,230 Posts
A mate of mine is chasing a 1700mm FMS P51 in Australia, if anyone wants to part with theirs pm me please

Cheers
Old May 26, 2015, 03:15 AM
Find More Posts by Aussieace246
Adric
Australia, SA, Craigmore
Joined Jun 2013
755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy View Post
A mate of mine is chasing a 1700mm FMS P51 in Australia, if anyone wants to part with theirs pm me please

Cheers
yep.
Im in Adelaide!

but still chasing my tail with bloody retract issues!!!! They have s hi t themselves again!! just waiting on reply from FMS now.
but either way Im looking to sell the plane. About 15-20 flights. no damage
red tails version
Aussieace246 is offline Find More Posts by Aussieace246
Old May 26, 2015, 04:13 AM
Joined May 2010
3,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieace246 View Post
yep.
Im in Adelaide!

but still chasing my tail with bloody retract issues!!!! They have s hi t themselves again!! just waiting on reply from FMS now.
but either way Im looking to sell the plane. About 15-20 flights. no damage
red tails version
Roger wilco, changing radio frequency to pm mode
Out!