New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 30, 2015, 04:18 PM
Find More Posts by Blaze0021
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Apr 2015
593 Posts
And she is here, in perfect condition from NJ to CO! I checked out all her connections, servos, and control surfaces to be in perfect working order. I did adjust the Rudder as was indicated on Page 8 of the Manual, The Rudder was actually already in the innermost hole as was recommended by everyone here so I did not have to adjust that part. I did check the OCP (over current protection, inherent with this UMX model) with the stock prop and it did set it off consistently at full throttle, so I made the switch to the GWS 5030 Prop.

No more OCP issues.

Her maiden will be tonight. Wish me luck.
Blaze0021 is online now Find More Posts by Blaze0021
Last edited by Blaze0021; Jun 30, 2015 at 04:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2015, 08:21 PM
Find More Posts by turboparker
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
13,681 Posts
Sounds great! Hope the maiden goes well.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Old Jun 30, 2015, 08:48 PM
Find More Posts by Sammy70
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
7,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze0021 View Post
Her maiden will be tonight. Wish me luck.

So how'd it go?
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Jun 30, 2015, 09:29 PM
Joined Apr 2015
593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Sounds great! Hope the maiden goes well.

Joel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
So how'd it go?
Maiden complete!

Prop: GWS 5030
Battery: 2 Thunder Power 325mAh 70C Lipos.
Anemometer: 6.7mph with 8.6-9.7mph gusts.

100% Full Rates
20% Aileron Expo
25% Elevator Expo

4 Perfect Roll Landings
3 Touchdowns and Go-Arounds
1 2-Point Landing stopping just to the "Chin"
2 Light Nose-Overs to "Show Me Your Belly"

The UMX Gee Bee is a very unique pattern flyer with distinct and attractive presence in the air, unlike my other planes in my fleet. It's kind of difficult in describing how she flies.. It's something you have to experience, or see in person. It's in the landings where your skills are really put to the test. It didn't help that the winds were gusting a bit at the baseball park. Just glad I have an AstroTurf location to fly her. Tested the OCP prior to every takeoff and the GWS 5030 Prop performed perfectly for the application; No ESC Cutout was present at any time. Even managed to get some sweet photos as well of the occasion and venue. I love this plane. She really tests your abilities and keeps you on your toes. Horizon Hobby should never have discontinued this plane.. At least bring out another version. A rare gem.

I'll name her "Izzy", after my 10 week old sweet yet neurotic and mischievous kitten that also keeps me on my toes.

PS - Joel, aka Turboparker.. the last pic is for you. Thanks man! And thanks to everyone else here who gave me tips.
Last edited by Blaze0021; Jun 30, 2015 at 09:38 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 10:15 PM
Find More Posts by Sammy70
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
7,150 Posts
Congrats on the flights and great pics!
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Jun 30, 2015, 10:17 PM
Find More Posts by turboparker
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
13,681 Posts
Excellent news - congrats! Glad everything went well. With this plane, getting through the maiden with a 70% 'nice landing ratio' after ten encounters with terra firma is impressive, to say the least. It usually takes new Gee Bee pilots awhile to get there.

Interesting that you noted the difficulty with describing how she flies. She definitely has a strong personality. However, the edges are rounded-off just enough that learning to fly her well is a fun challenge, rather than being a frustrating experience. And I agree - they shouldn't have discontinued the plane.

Great pics! Especially the last two. Cute little neurotic kitty you have there! Definitely a fitting name for a Gee Bee.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Last edited by turboparker; Jun 30, 2015 at 10:22 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 10:20 PM
Joined Apr 2015
593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
Congrats on the flights and great pics!
Thank you!
Old Jun 30, 2015, 10:27 PM
Joined Apr 2015
593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Excellent news! Glad everything went well. With this plane, getting through the maiden with a 70% 'nice landing ratio' after ten encounters with terra firma is impressive, to say the least. It usually takes new Gee Bee pilots awhile to get there.

Interesting that you noted the difficulty with describing how she flies. She definitely has a strong personality. However, the edges are rounded-off just enough that learning to fly her well is a fun challenge, rather than being a frustrating experience. And I agree - they shouldn't have discontinued the plane.

Great pics! Especially the last two. Cute kitty you have there! Definitely a fitting name for a Gee Bee.

Joel
Thanks Joel, this plane certainly does have a lot of personality! And yes, this plane does stress the importance of controlling the rate of descent using the throttle and only using the elevator for speed. I'm glad I spent some time flying my Sbach, as she made the transition to the Gee Bee much easier! This plane is definitely a fun challenge, but man, does she look pretty in the air! Lacrosse spectators across the way even walked over to watch.. she has a presence in the air and a personality. Thought you would like those pics! I'm fresh out of the Wee Heavy Scotch Ale, so unfortunately the Farmhouse Style Collette will have to do.