SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 21, 2015, 06:00 AM
WJH
Find More Posts by WJH
WJH
United States, FL, Spring Hill
Joined Aug 2005
736 Posts
Probably a good idea to replace the stock crappy servos.. The tail servo died on me first, then the other day, the collective servo let out smoke during a pre-flight for no obvious reason!
I cannot trust the stock servo's!
WJH is offline Find More Posts by WJH
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2015, 06:02 AM
Find More Posts by Smacko41
Smacko41
Australia
Joined Jun 2013
153 Posts
Included E-Flite 3S Charger Failure

Posted this on the 450X forum but applicable here also......
===========================================
Just a quick post to make people aware of an issue I've found with the included E-Flite charger for these helis. I do have a proper balance charger, however have found this one handy for charging 3S packs whilst I use my other one for heavier duties.
I won't be doing this anymore however as the E Flite one has ceased to charge on 2 channels. Despite this it appears to charge as normal and you still get the 3 x green LEDs during charging, and the 4 x solid red LEDs at the end of the cycle indicating all is good. Nothing could be further from the truth. A typical battery after charging read 3.71V 3.75V 4.18V on my cell checker.

IT WAS ONLY CHARGING ONE CELL!!

Fortunately I picked this up before going flying. However I've just spent the best part of the day cycling 4 of my batteries on a proper balance charger to bring them back into some sort of reasonable balance. (not that easy I've found)
If you open one of these chargers up, they have very poor cooling. Although a fan is fitted, there's no venting in the case for it to pull air from outside. Further more there is no heat sinking on any of the components, just a series of holes through the copper print on the PCB in an attempt to conduct heat away as the air passes through. I actually drilled some holes in the case of mine a few months back to assist the fan and cooling, and whilst it made a noticeable difference, I did notice a hot electronic smell last night when going in to my "charge bunker" to check progress. I suspect this was when the failure happened.
So you've been warned, probably best to get a proper balance charger if you don't have one already!
Smacko41 is offline Find More Posts by Smacko41