HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2014, 03:31 AM
Joined Aug 2003
2,567 Posts
Nevermind, found this picture.

Edit: The area in that picture labeled FTDI is Not, it is I2C

HELModels is online now Find More Posts by HELModels
Last edited by HELModels; Mar 06, 2014 at 09:37 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2014, 06:39 AM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Jun 2011
1,087 Posts
I've got a handful of replacement usb connectors if you or someone you know has good enough soldering skills. Couldn't find them singly for less than $7 shipped, but found a bag of ten for $4 shipped...
If you want one PM me your address.
valk_17 is online now Find More Posts by valk_17
Old Mar 05, 2014, 01:02 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELModels View Post
I haven't messed with my flip1.5 since I broke the USB connector off.

I see it has what looks like serial, any suggestions for wiring it so I can use a FTDI cable? Do I have to do anything more than solder the wires to the right holes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELModels View Post
Nevermind, found this picture.

I have the same problem on one of my flip boards and no way i can solder a new socket.

Do you know which wire should go to which hole on the board,any diagrams or pictures that show it?
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old Mar 05, 2014, 03:26 PM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
United States, FL, Sebastian
Joined May 2005
1,334 Posts
First page has more pictures for the fdti connection.
3DMON is offline Find More Posts by 3DMON
Old Mar 05, 2014, 06:49 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker View Post
I have the same problem on one of my flip boards and no way i can solder a new socket.

Do you know which wire should go to which hole on the board,any diagrams or pictures that show it?
I'm looking at the Flip and the FTDI area and I see one position labeled 3.3v. I have a 3DR FTDI cable and I need to find out if it is 3.3V or 5V on that. I don't want to hook up the wires and find out my FTDI cable will fry it.

This is the cable I have which Tx/Rx at 3.3V but it says the power supply wire is 5V

http://store.3drobotics.com/products/ftdi-cable-3-3v
Last edited by HELModels; Mar 05, 2014 at 06:59 PM.
Old Mar 05, 2014, 07:32 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,816 Posts
On the board i have it shows 5v.see pic
Option 1

The usb adapter i was going to try and use is from a skylark osd and it has 4 wires coming out to a plug,i was going to cut the plug off and connect up the wires to the flip board.see pic

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Option 2

Also thought about hacking a usb patch cable,there are only 4 wires in most usb cables a 5v pos,neg and the other two are for send and receive so i thought those wires could be connected to the board so the board would see it no different than if the cable was plugged into the usb socket on the board,really not sure if that could even be done though.

On the board i see GND-NC-5v-RX-TX-DTR so i was going to connect gnd from the hacked usb patch cable to gnd on the board,connect the 5v from the usb patch cable to the 5v on the board and then figure out which of the two wires left in the usb patch cable is sending and connect that to the rx on the board and figure out which wire is receiving and connect that to the tx on the board.

I wish that the usb input on the board was just header pins and then an adapter cable could be made that would connect from a usb with a servo type plug on the other end to plug into the header pins on the board for usb input.
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old Mar 05, 2014, 10:05 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker View Post
On the board i have it shows 5v.see pic

On the board i see GND-NC-5v-RX-TX-DTR so i was going to connect gnd from .
I think that pic I linked is wrong. I think that side of the USB that is shown as FTDI is for I2C. What youre looking at will work for FTDI. I found another picture that shows the Sparkfun FTDI breakout board connected where you are looking.

Anyway, You might be able to hack up the USB cable you have and connect it as you planned. I don't know if it will work so you'll be risking the cable. You're looking at the right part of the board though, so thanks.

In this picture, the vertical board is the FTDI breakout from Sparkfun.

EDIT: The way the Sparkfun breakout is connected in this picture is backwards.

Last edited by HELModels; Mar 06, 2014 at 09:31 AM.
Old Mar 05, 2014, 10:30 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,567 Posts
ridgewalker, I went to the Sparkfun site and looked at their breakout board to see how it is labeled. This should help us both. The last picture I linked shows how the FTDI breakout connects to the Flip1.5. I attached the picture from Sparkfun. And looking at your cable, there isn't much risk of messing that up since it isn't the shielded kind.

EDIT: All that and it finally works again.
Last edited by HELModels; Mar 06, 2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old Mar 07, 2014, 02:59 PM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
3,355 Posts
Quick question

I'm using a telemetry Frsky tx/rx.I would like to use s-bus hookup,just wondering which rx to buy and how to hookup to the Flip 1.5.My goggle searches didn't get me the answer.Any help is greatly appreciated!
Kauaiguy is offline Find More Posts by Kauaiguy
Old Mar 07, 2014, 06:29 PM
NTX Helidillos
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Sep 2009
1,339 Posts
Not sure about sbus but you can use ppm from a d4rii
tonkajeep34 is online now Find More Posts by tonkajeep34
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dipped Taranis - Take 2
Old Mar 07, 2014, 11:55 PM
TeachSeventh
Houston
Joined Dec 2008
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstgilstrap View Post
Another question for you guys. I'm getting a tarot 650 quad tomorrow and I'm looking for a flight board for it. I don't want gps so I was looking at getting another flip and using that on it but I have used the flip 1.5 on almost all the quads I have ever built (only ever built micro quads and one fw450) so what I'm asking is should I get the 1.5 or maybe get a different flip or even the multiwii pro from readytoflyquads.
I just got my second Flip 2.5 in today, first was for my Tri and this one for a Quad, the addition of the precision variometer/barometer and magnetometer/compass will give you tons of new features to play with....I love it, my FLIP 1.5's I use on my thrash around quads. Can't have enough controllers on hand You said you were not interested in the GPS so would use the $$$ difference to get the cover soldered on for you on the $28 for Flip 2.5 versus $42 Pro EZ 3.0. The 3DR Telemetry radio kit is a fun little gadget to have when you have the extra features on the flips.
W5BSA is offline Find More Posts by W5BSA
Old Mar 08, 2014, 01:39 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
1,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonkajeep34 View Post
Not sure about sbus but you can use ppm from a d4rii
Yes, this one is awesome. Tiny and 8 channel PPM output.
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Mar 10, 2014, 04:43 PM
San Jose Ca
Joined Jun 2009
444 Posts
Is anyone having trouble connecting there Flip EZ to baseflight? I get this error 10:27:48 -- Serial port successfully opened with ID: 18
10:27:58 -- No configuration received within 10 seconds, communication failed
10:27:58 -- Serial port successfully closed

Hook by buddies Naze 32 up and it works fine.
BPINE is offline Find More Posts by BPINE
Old Mar 10, 2014, 06:25 PM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Mar 2012
873 Posts
That's because the Naze runs Baseflight, and the Flip runs Multiwii. Even though baseflight is based on Multiwii, I would not be surprised if they were incompatible.
cyberbillp is offline Find More Posts by cyberbillp
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:46 AM
San Jose Ca
Joined Jun 2009
444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbillp View Post
That's because the Naze runs Baseflight, and the Flip runs Multiwii. Even though baseflight is based on Multiwii, I would not be surprised if they were incompatible.
That might be the case but when I bought the flip ez from Ready to fly quads baseflight is what they told me to use and on thier site it still says that and it used to work now it does not. Now all I need to do is figure out how to load multiwii which I have not been able to do after hours of trying.
BPINE is offline Find More Posts by BPINE
Last edited by BPINE; Mar 11, 2014 at 10:54 AM.