Old May 06, 2015, 12:11 AM
Find More Posts by yesbee1
San Jose, CA
Joined Oct 2003
132 Posts
Discussion
rc bikes vs planes

Hi Guys
This is a subjective question. For those that run rc bikes and also fly planes, which one do you like more and why? Would be interesting to learn.

Thanks
yesbee1 is offline Find More Posts by yesbee1
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2015, 08:48 AM
Find More Posts by Kev71H
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
4,344 Posts
Man... This is an interesting comparison. It's almost like asking someone to chose which child they like more?

Subjective indeed. I can only sell out by saying I like them both the same.

Rc airplanes : The freedom of RC airplanes (and helis) is hard to explain. A 4 dimensional experience that leaves the heart free to express flight in our eye of appreciation along with the grace of a model that can dance with the weather in its own way as it's guided by our imagination and controls of our fingers. Fulfilling heart, mind, imagination, and sight to content.

Rc bikes: It's hard to beat the rhythm of a couple of rc bikes carving corners together inching out the Apex one from the other. The pure realness of a scaled down superbike machine that has superbike performance at the blip of the finger. These rc bikes are also multi dimensional because they "balance" on 2 wheels. This demands the understanding of physics that each bike dictates through its each engineered design. The longer run times that extend measurable more than any RC car is great. Learning to be ambidextrous is demanded with these bikes out of pure necessity because of the mix between balance, speed, kinetic energy given, and timing when cornering. Let's face it... Cornering is what makes these bikes so unique and challenging. That perfect Apex in a corner is what we all seek and nothing quite feels like a great launch out of a corner that is taken just right that will edge out the other(s) that group up in the same corner respecting each other's driving line(s). Pure enjoyment.

Kevin
Www.RCMCConline.com
Kev71H is offline Find More Posts by Kev71H
Old May 06, 2015, 11:41 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Oct 2003
132 Posts
Thanks
That puts it well. I've also started in rc planes but about to get into bikes (not enough time). Bikes look like a lot of fun , something very aesthetically attractive about how they drive and engineering complexity behind them is very interesting.
Old May 06, 2015, 11:42 AM
Find More Posts by Bastelpeter
Germany, RP, Nierstein
Joined Jun 2011
180 Posts
I did both. The fact that I did not use any other RC equipment from the moment I started biking tells me more than 1000 words. This is my story, however if I would say it more general, the answer would be: "It depends"
It depends what you prefer the most. Doing hobby on your own, RC planes are more challenging 3rd dimension, the risk of crashing and so on. Doing competition RC biking is the best. The community is friendly and more like a family, to watch a A-Final is like MOTO GP and racing is a REAL challenge.
Bastelpeter is offline Find More Posts by Bastelpeter
Old May 07, 2015, 11:57 PM
Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,517 Posts
Ive been flying planes for 33 years. Most recenty Ive decided to be focused mainly on WWII planes and turbine powered jets. Flying scale planes in a scale manner is a lot harder than it seems. The technical set up side of things is challenging and then practicing to be proficient and consistent when handling expensive large planes puts it all in perspective. You earn your wings when landing, mostly.
Anybody can usually fly basic planes and rip around trying to figure it out, etc. that can be challenging until your able to handle a plane. After that you need direction and focus to challenge yourself or it gets boring.
Bikes on the other hand are more akin to helicopters, more cerebral. Its harder than cars at first but once you get it you nearly don't notice transitioning between them. Cars, especially 4wd, are many times more forgiving than bikes. You have to see ahead of the bike and place the bike correctly both in speed and line thru the corner to be successful. Riding with others and doing it well heightens the experience. You dont do this purposely with planes or helis until your very good at it.
When I set out to make bikes I really get into the technical design challenge of this. When I run bikes I really get into watching them work and see how to tune and improve them. One of the most satisfying things for me is watching a bike like the GPV drift thru a turn fully hooked up and wheelie out of the corner.

My point is regardless of what you get into its my opinion that if you find a purpose or direction within the discipline the journey is the reward. You will learn a lot of things and not just about the model but also about yourself.
Chris Nicastro is offline Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
Old May 08, 2015, 11:18 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Oct 2003
132 Posts
Well stated Chris. It's true you learn so much about yourself when you challenge and pursue.

Thanks.
Old May 13, 2015, 09:22 AM
Find More Posts by R1-Chris
Joined Jun 2006
12 Posts
I started in RC bikes decades ago with the Kyosho bikes and still drive bikes like the SB5 with some folks on a local track here in Austria. Since about five years I also fly planes (mostly small foam edfs and funfighters).
I also ride real motorcycles and I like experiencing the physical similarities when driving them. But when you only have access to parking lots it getīs boring rather soon and on road bikes are ambitious regarding tires and smoothness of the pavement you are driving on. So the real fun starts when driving with like minded guys on RC tracks.
The advantage of planes is they donīt need a specific place as "the air is the same everywhere".
Furthermore when performing FPV, the experience is matchless, especially when going to extremes, though it being rather illegal...
R1-Chris is offline Find More Posts by R1-Chris
Old May 13, 2015, 11:03 AM
Joined Feb 2004
4,517 Posts
You should try FPV on a bike. Ive done it with1/10 F1 and its a lot of fun.
Old May 13, 2015, 11:12 AM
Joined Apr 2002
4,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro View Post
You should try FPV on a bike. Ive done it with1/10 F1 and its a lot of fun.
FPV on RC Motorcycle,
This would be a great idea, but some issues with this. Our bikes can make "quick" corrections like RC Cars.

The First Person View "on the ground surface" needs very very fast corrections as the corners come up so quickly at that scale and speed. It would be super difficult to make such quick corrections with an RC bike compared to an RC Car.

While it is ambitious to suggest or try FPV with an RC motorcycle, I would think it would be too difficult to have real fun with it.

KEv
Old May 14, 2015, 12:06 AM
Joined Feb 2004
4,517 Posts
I did it with an F103 and followed my buddy around the parking lot track dots no problem. Slow at first but once you see your markers it makes sense. Cameras are way better today and I was doing that sometime in 96-98 with a 5 inch TFT monitor and micro remote security camera on a 9v battery. You could see the tiny pebbles getting chucked up at the camera.
Now you could gyro cam it and see level thru corners the way MGP is shown on TV. Lots of ways to do this now.
Old May 14, 2015, 12:34 AM
Joined Apr 2002
4,344 Posts
[QUOTE=Chris Nicastro;31617233]I did it with an F103 and followed my buddy around the parking lot track dots no problem. Slow at first but once you see your markers it makes sense. Cameras are way better today and I was doing that sometime in 96-98 with a 5 inch TFT monitor and micro remote security camera on a 9v battery. You could see the tiny pebbles getting chucked up at the camera.
Now you could gyro cam it and see level thru corners the way MGP is shown on TV. Lots of ways to do this now.[/QUOte)

Need video please
Old May 14, 2015, 04:34 AM
Find More Posts by magnuts
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Feb 2007
359 Posts
+1 on that video please
magnuts is online now Find More Posts by magnuts
Old May 14, 2015, 09:59 PM
Joined Feb 2004
4,517 Posts
Lol, I didnt record it! Back then I would have needed a VCR running on a 12V inverter for 120V AC so I could record in a parking lot from a car battery. I bought several cameras because they were fragile, the electronics would fry easily.
The tech was too expensive and too bulky 20yrs ago.
I do have a box with all the gear I used in storage if you need proof I could dig it up and take photo of my old gear.
Old May 14, 2015, 10:07 PM
Joined Feb 2004
4,517 Posts
Example

Take a large diameter light weight ball bearing used in a cheap heli swashplate and mount a mini camera in the center race. Mount the bearing to the chassis. Make a weight so the camera has a pendulum. Now make sure the camera pivots smoothly. Using gravity the camera will always be level to the ground as the bike leans.
Another way is to use a micro servo mixed to steering and if you have a radio that can offer expo you can dampen the servo action.
Old May 15, 2015, 01:32 PM
Joined Apr 2002
4,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro View Post
Example

Take a large diameter light weight ball bearing used in a cheap heli swashplate and mount a mini camera in the center race. Mount the bearing to the chassis. Make a weight so the camera has a pendulum. Now make sure the camera pivots smoothly. Using gravity the camera will always be level to the ground as the bike leans.
Another way is to use a micro servo mixed to steering and if you have a radio that can offer expo you can dampen the servo action.
Won't the centrifugal force make the weight move the camera going around corners?