HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2007, 07:26 AM
Scorpian 60'' 2012
Kurrajong Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,457 Posts
Discussion
Flying at unregested sites

I have been thinking of this for a while now ,should we fly at sites that are not registered with the MAS in Australia ?

My reasoning is that there are some sites on the Eastern sea board that have quite heavy pedestrian traffic & restricted flying & landing spaces,what happens if someone is flying there & they hit a pedestrian?

Should we try to advise people that flying at these sites is not recommended or sanctioned by the MAS ?

Should members of the MAS & a registered club fly at these sites?,would there MAAA insurance cover them if they were to hit some one or damage some thing?

What are you thoughts

Rick
BMtech is offline Find More Posts by BMtech
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2007, 03:10 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
224 Posts
Depends wat type aircraft you fly & the size of the park but it comes down to the pilots judgement. Ofcourse it doesnt mean u can fly ur 40 size trainer at the local park.
If there are people in the park i dont fly my "electrics" i just go find another empty park or if someone turns up while im flying i make the descision to pack up n go home.

The MAAA will not cover a member at a non sanctioned area if something does go wrong as i beleive.

Recommending People to fly at registered clubs is always the better choice as its safer n better controlled environment also there is alot of help around.

In the end its always the pilots choice whether or not it is safe to fly in the area.
Mistro is offline Find More Posts by Mistro
Old Sep 29, 2007, 03:32 AM
Bush Mechanic
Mt. Dandenong, Australia
Joined Oct 2005
2,367 Posts
I'm with you Mistro. If you arrive at a place to fly and there are people there, go somewhere else.

5.1 General prohibition on unsafe operation. (101.005)
A person must not operate an unmanned aircraft (Model aircraft) in a way that creates a hazard to another aircraft, another person, or property.

5.4 Keeping model aircraft away from people (101.395)
A person must not operate a model aircraft over a populous area at a height less than the height from which, if any of its components fails, it would be able to clear the area
Someone who is operating a powered model aircraft must ensure that, while the model aircraft is IN FLIGHT, or is LANDING or TAKING OFF, it stays at least 30 metres away from anyone not directly associated with the operation of model aircraft..................

Play it safe, if someone turns up and approaches to close, I just keep the plane away if possible or land and give it away if I can't.

Putting the rules and insurance issues aside, who wants to be responsible for causing injury or worse to someone anyway.

My 2 bobs worth.
neilmny is offline Find More Posts by neilmny
Old Sep 29, 2007, 03:33 AM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,325 Posts
An age old Question Rick and one thats impossible to answer for those of us that fly registered sites the answer is obvious but I agree with it being up to the pilot to make the call on if they should fly or not and not to dis the electric side Rick was refering mainly to slope flying . I dont think that any real results can be achieved but advising someone flying of the legal obligations they face if some thing goes wrong is usually met with it wont happen to me ,or a reference to travel in a hurry .
SteveW
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Sep 29, 2007, 03:44 AM
Bush Mechanic
Mt. Dandenong, Australia
Joined Oct 2005
2,367 Posts
While on this subject guys, is it possible to be a member of a club and in being a member be insured but not necessarily be an active member of the club. ie. by attending meetings etc.

Hope that question makes sense.

Neil.
Old Sep 29, 2007, 03:47 AM
Joined Dec 2003
23,325 Posts
Neil if you are a finacial member of a club your insurance is valid on a registered site regardless of if you go to meetings or not.
SteveW
Old Sep 29, 2007, 03:58 AM
Bush Mechanic
Mt. Dandenong, Australia
Joined Oct 2005
2,367 Posts
I read somewhere that the insurance cover can be for other than club sites provided you have permission to fly there ie. from the land holder or responsible authority and that you operate safely within the guidelines.

Is this so or am I dreaming?

Sorry for hijacking your thread Rick.
Old Sep 29, 2007, 04:16 AM
Joined Dec 2003
23,325 Posts
Getting permission is one thing registering the site as an official model aircraft flying site is another ,sorry just having permission is not enough you must have the site registered ,you could have permission from the land holder but if you are in violation of the close field operations clause your permission is not worth squat.
SteveW
Old Sep 29, 2007, 04:22 AM
Bush Mechanic
Mt. Dandenong, Australia
Joined Oct 2005
2,367 Posts
So basically flying a parkflyer down at the local footy ground or sloping on a hill that you find suitable is not covered.

Thanks for the info Steve.
Old Sep 29, 2007, 04:26 AM
Joined Dec 2003
23,325 Posts
Yep thats pretty much it Neil.
SteevW
Old Sep 29, 2007, 04:33 AM
Joined Dec 2004
252 Posts
Which means no more flying at Blackheath or Gerringong, or if you do, dont have an insurance claim.
khan_01 is offline Find More Posts by khan_01
Old Sep 29, 2007, 05:22 AM
Scorpian 60'' 2012
Kurrajong Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,457 Posts
or sandon point or cronulla or hill 60, look the list is a mile long, we all probably have been guilty of flying at these places ,but may be we shouldn't advertise these places on the groups to much ?

Rick
In his flame proof suit.
BMtech is offline Find More Posts by BMtech
Old Sep 29, 2007, 05:27 AM
gawler, South Australia
Joined Jul 2006
3,672 Posts
Hi Guys

I really like flying at my local park, but for the reason of safety I have started to fly at the local model club again. It gives you peace of mind to fly there and you know you are covered in case of the worst thing is to happen.
rcozstyle is offline Find More Posts by rcozstyle
Old Sep 29, 2007, 06:29 AM
RC Addict
Central Coast, Australia
Joined Jan 2001
1,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcozstyle
Hi Guys

I really like flying at my local park, but for the reason of safety I have started to fly at the local model club again. It gives you peace of mind to fly there and you know you are covered in case of the worst thing is to happen.
Bullseye!! Spot on!! etc

The biggest problem is that when an incident does and it will happen and some kid loses an eye in a park due to a novice trying to fly it will bring our whole hobby into the firing line.

I know alot of people argue that it is expensive to join a club but what will cost you more in the long run?

Hitting someone or their proerty? and getting sued?

or

paying a yearly fee that provides such things as being helped from day one at your new club by experienced pilots and learning to fly safely and react to different situations that may arise, meeting great new mates and becoming good friends and pilots together.

The cost is yours
Jeremy_D is offline Find More Posts by Jeremy_D
Old Sep 29, 2007, 05:17 PM
My 1st R/C had 2 valves !
Settled in "The Shoalhaven", Au.
Joined Jul 2007
477 Posts
Registered slope sites?

So, how many of the popular parkflyer & slope sites thru-out Aust are now registered?
And what are the current requirements re pits-spectators-flightline separation for these classes of model?

EGB.
(Who has been out of action a lo---ong time).
KraftyOne is offline Find More Posts by KraftyOne