HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:25 PM
USA, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Feb 2010
530 Posts
Build Log
FlyFly Beachcraft B60 Duke

This is the start of my build thread for the FlyFly B60 Duke...

Since I didn't seem to find any build threads on the forum about the FlyFly B60 Duke, I thought I might start one.

Background: Last year I really wanted one of Nitroplanes version of the B60 which I believe is manufactured by A-RC Model (http://www.a-rcmodel.com/) but they were running out of stock. So I contacted FlyFly directly and inquired about a source to purchase an ARF of their B60 for a reasonable price. At the time Hobby People wanted north of $300 dollars for it and couldn't see spending that much. I then began comparing it to the A-RC and found similarities but also some differences. Be aware that if you are looking to purchase the FlyFly, it does not come with retractable landing gear or flaps. It does come with oleo struts and making your own flaps would not be a hard things to do.

I ended up buying my FF B60 from Hobby88 (http://www.hobby88.com/shop/). I contacted them via email regarding an ARF and they responded quickly with a price delivered less than what HP could do.. Communication was good and delivery was reasonable given it's origin.

The plane arrived in a rather large box with the fuselage already assembled with the tail piece. Right off, I appreciated that. However the application of the decals left alot to be desired. Unlike the A-RC version the FF version has a larger two piece cockpit which to me wasn't designed quite as nice. I ended up having to split apart the top acrylic piece from the interior as they were not joined well and did not fit flush with the fuselage. To me this ended up being somewhat of a challenge to fix as it is important to line up the acrylic top piece with the fuselage molding lines and glue it to the side of the interior while its on the plane. I ended up using straight pins to hold in place then I removed it to glue it.

Checkout the photos and narratives that are included with each one. I have not finished the plane as I haven't decided whether to put retracts in it and flaps...so at the moment it's 90% complete. ask any questions and if you need more info or pictures, let me know.

mray is offline Find More Posts by mray
Last edited by mray; Mar 01, 2013 at 06:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2013, 01:48 AM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,022 Posts
Buckeye. If memory serves me correct, isn't that the home of the 1/8 Air Force?

Larry
Lnagel is online now Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Mar 01, 2013, 06:32 PM
USA, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Feb 2010
530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnagel View Post
Buckeye. If memory serves me correct, isn't that the home of the 1/8 Air Force?

Larry
Larry, could be but not sure.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 12:53 AM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,027 Posts
Seriously wondering if i should pull the trigger on this bird cuz NP ain't putting out .Couldn't care less about the mods as i would do them anyway.
gewiens is offline Find More Posts by gewiens
Old Mar 02, 2013, 08:09 PM
USA, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Feb 2010
530 Posts
I took a couple of pictures for comparison between the Nitroplanes/A-RC and the FF version.

While the wingspans are identical, the fuselages are different. The FF fuselages is shorter and narrower than the A-RC version. It appears the reduction in length on the FFis rearward of the wings. See pictures below.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 08:53 PM
USA, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Feb 2010
530 Posts
Just for clarification....the NP version is 4" longer from the trailing edge of the wing to the tail of the fuselage. However the FF version is 1 to 1 1/3 inches narrower than the NP. Nose to clear windshield is the same. Starting point of the inner front wing from the nose is the same. At the windshield the nose on the NP is a little over 1" wider and grows slightly before narrowing at the rear.
Last edited by mray; Mar 02, 2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 10:14 PM
USA, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Feb 2010
530 Posts
Manual attached-
Old Mar 05, 2013, 08:13 PM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,657 Posts
B-60 Arrival

FedEx Home Delivery man stopped by today and the B-60 arrived intact with no damage! And, no missing parts

As I expected, the assembly "manual" is a joke, pretty much worthless. If one is expecting a "real" PNP, he be really disappointed, and definately up the creek without a paddle, if he has little experience assembling an ARF.

The cabin canopy was assembled properly on mine, but I have not checked the motor/cowl alignment, yet.

FF should NOT mention the term RETRACT in describing this plane as they are not even mechanically retractable! The are part of a mechanical retract frame, but the trunion has been secured into the "down" position with a small bolt and nut. Even if you removed the bolt, there is no hardware ("T" pin) to engage the trunion. It is no big deal for me as I'm installing E-retracts anyway.

These are the ones I am using.....they will fit with very little modification. I'll post details/photos when I get to that stage.
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old Mar 09, 2013, 10:45 PM
Joined Feb 2009
1,657 Posts
Motor Mounting

IMPORTANT! Check the length of the screws furnished with the motors! Mine were too long and protruded far enough into the motor to depress the insulation of the motor lead wires...only a matter of time before a short circuit I replaced them with 3mm dia X 4mm length socket head bolts from Dubro.

Also, the one grub screw securing the bell to the motor shaft was barely "finger tight" on both motors. I removed them and re-installed with blue Loctite, as I did with all threaded screws.

Both firewalls were assembled and properly installed in my model, and after some careful trimming of the cowls, the alignment was pretty good. Had to purchase some rare earth magnets to secure the cowls to the nacelles, as none were furnished by FF.

Other defects noted: Missing nut on elevator linkage control horn. Missing wing tip light lens (both):censored The QC by FlyFly on this model leaves a lot to be desired!

Tomorrow....Run up motors (less props), mod flaps, install flap servos, glue wings, glue elevators. I'll post photos of my method of flap modification.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:08 PM
USA, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Feb 2010
530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaguy View Post
Almost done with the flap mod. All you need is the #5 Xacto long blade and a steady hand.
Gary, good job....that's exactly the route I plan on taking.

Did you just move the nacelle magnets forward?
Old Mar 13, 2013, 05:07 AM
Joined Feb 2009
1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mray View Post
Gary, good job....that's exactly the route I plan on taking.

Did you just move the nacelle magnets forward?
Thanks, and yes---moved them forward.

I used a similar method on my Windrider 737 and my Tian Sheng C-17
Old Mar 25, 2013, 06:09 PM
Joined Feb 2009
1,657 Posts
E-Retract Installation-Nose

I prefer to avoid a pull-pull cable for steering, if it can be avoided. The use of a rod and clevis is a little more involved as some additional foam and a different retract mount must be fabricated. Took me about a day to accomplish.....but, I am very pleased with the results.
Photos tell the story....
Last edited by bamaguy; Mar 25, 2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 06:17 PM
USA, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Feb 2010
530 Posts
Great Job Gary....and no, I haven't flown mine yet.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 06:35 PM
Joined Feb 2009
1,657 Posts
Info on Liquid Nails "Perfect Glue"

It used to be called Liquid Nails For Home Projects. They recently renamed it. Lowes, Home Depot and WalMart usually have it.

I've used it for over a year on foam to foam and foam to plywood....firewalls and landing gear mounts. No failures. Costs just under $5

Product info here... www.perfectglue.com