HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:50 PM
Thinking about flying
United States, MN, Eden Prairie
Joined Oct 2008
928 Posts
Question
What should I use to paint monocote?

I think I have seen this question answered here in the past but since I never thought I would need to know I didnít pay attention. Well, now that I think it would be a reasonable alternative for me I ask the question; if I can what should I use to paint monocote? Note that I use the generic word monocote because itís an ARF and I donít know for sure what it is or if it even matters. Whatever it is it began as a transparent blue and has faded to nearly clear. Not a good color for a high-flying sailplane regardless of what the sky may be. It disappears in cloudy sky or blue.
I am recovering the faded blue sections of the wing and tail with red Monocote but I want to paint only the underside of the fuselage to minimize the weight gain.
Anyone with good ideas please throw them in here.
Rhea is offline Find More Posts by Rhea
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:04 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,097 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't paint it, I've never (apart from one time where I did some crazy stuff) had good experiences painting film.

And no, you don't want to do the 'crazy stuff' which involved covering the film with tissue.

If I were you I'd strip the wings and recover in the same red you're doing the tail with. It'll look muuuuch much much better than a wing that's faded on top and painted on the bottom.

Just my 2c.
Curare is online now Find More Posts by Curare
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:44 AM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,517 Posts
I have had really good luck with good old Kyrlon in the old days. I painted some dice on the wings of my Kougar way back in the early 90s with it. Plane lasted a good 10 years and the paint was just fine. Just cleaned REALLY good with acetone first.
More recently I've used Krylon Fusion. (http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion_for_plastic/)
I even had a place on an open structure where it got dinged where I had a paint stripe. It was Ultracote, so it just dinged, and didn't break. A LITTLE heat, the ding came out just fine, and you couldn't even tell on the paint stripe where the ding was.

FWIW, I paint trim work on as I always seem to have a problem with smaller shapes/paint strips, etc coming off if I use covering.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:03 AM
United States, FL, Sunrise
Joined Jul 2011
210 Posts
Is the krylon fuel proof, or does it need a sealer?
sixfins is offline Find More Posts by sixfins
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:08 AM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,005 Posts
How would some of the dyes work that the automotive community uses to change interior colors or refinish interior items like your dash. Colors may be a bit limited though. They are available in rattle cans.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:02 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfins View Post
Is the krylon fuel proof, or does it need a sealer?
Not sure of the Fusion as I only have used it on Electric planes. The OLD, "normal" stuff I used on my Kougar certainly was. The exhaust pointed right on part of the painted parts. And after a good 10 years or so of a lot of flying, the paint was about the only thing intact when it crashed. (Broken elevator push rod in a dive... wasn't pretty ) Can't say if the "new and improved" stuff is.
As with any new process, best to run a small test.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:43 PM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,588 Posts
I use rustoleum. But like was said, I'd strip it and recover with whatever mylar since this is a sail plane. When I soared, we did everything possible to lighten it up. Interesting to hear about krylon. Most of the guys I fly with wont use it because they say it is not fuel proof. My test showed it softened up with raw fuel. You say that was older krylon back then? Think I need to test again.
Edwin
edwin1 is offline Find More Posts by edwin1