HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:36 PM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,826 Posts
Discussion
Hunting for a DS site

At my local State Park, from the top of the hill, there appears to be a do-able DS site just down the ridge a bit. At least it looks promising.

But then again, I don't really know what I'm talking about. I've tried a few time to DS the upper rounded hill ( where I'm standing in the first photo ) but had no luck. I don't think that there was a shear layer happening.

Thought I'd throw a couple of photos out to see if this might be a good ridge to try. On occasion we get 15 -25mph winds up here. I've some slope ships from 12 to 20 oz/ s.f. wing loading.

Any comments about the do-ability of this site are welcomed.

If I don't get shot by one of the neighbors, it might be fun trying this site out.

Kent
Knoll53 is offline Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: SW-7 Final flaps
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:29 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,295 Posts
Certainly seems possible if the wind direction is right. The lower part of the ridgeline that's closer to the camera could be a good spot too, as opposed to the peak.
bjaffee is online now Find More Posts by bjaffee
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:21 AM
Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,272 Posts
From the shape, it's looks like the wind could cheat it's way around the sides to some extent. That could make the back side air very interesting to say the least.

If you get wind the right direction, give it a try....that's the only way to know for sure.
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:59 AM
More like crunchman....
United Kingdom, Cheshire East
Joined Mar 2007
908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyextreme View Post
From the shape, it's looks like the wind could cheat it's way around the sides to some extent. That could make the back side air very interesting to say the least.

If you get wind the right direction, give it a try....that's the only way to know for sure.
That's +1
dsman is offline Find More Posts by dsman
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:48 AM
less is more
Joined Sep 2006
2,826 Posts
Quote:
The lower part of the ridgeline that's closer to the camera could be a good spot too
The photo shows the part that I initially though might work. It looks like a steep back side.

Quote:
Oh I'm planning on very interesting. Even the front side lift is choppy. I launch the plank with a bungee so even in a light wind, I'll have 100 ft. altitude to dive into the back side with. I should be able to do at least one loop with or without a shear layer.

Is there a rule of thumb regarding the wind needed???
SpeedsterDEN will DS a retaining wall in a light breeze with an Alula, but here I'm guessing I'd need at least 20 mph to get a shear layer going. The curved line in the photo is where I think there might be a shear layer. It might be 100 yds long.

Kent
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:22 AM
chronic in training
L.A. beautiful san fernando valley
Joined Nov 2008
1,830 Posts
Hey Kent ,

Where is this at? I am outside of L.A. and it looks kinda familiar.
grfcon is offline Find More Posts by grfcon
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:25 AM
less is more
Joined Sep 2006
2,826 Posts
This is 8 miles south of Carmel, CA at Garrapata State Park, the top of Rock Ridge Trail about 1600' up.

Kent
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:49 PM
chronic in training
L.A. beautiful san fernando valley
Joined Nov 2008
1,830 Posts
not as close as I thought..thanks and good luck
grfcon is offline Find More Posts by grfcon