HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:09 PM
Gilbert AZ
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2012
1,617 Posts
Discussion
RX battery pack.

Ok I guess I should get with the times. Is using Nimh RX packs a thing of the past? Currently Im using 2500mah 6v Nimh packs. Should I be using different and better cell types.
azflyingguy is offline Find More Posts by azflyingguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:53 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,036 Posts
If they're working well for you, keep using them. If they're tired, I would replace with 2 cell LiFePO4 or 5 cell Eneloops and live happily ever after.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:11 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,331 Posts
I've been partial to 1500mah Elite 2/3A cells. Good power output and they're very robust.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:25 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflyingguy View Post
Ok I guess I should get with the times. Is using Nimh RX packs a thing of the past? Currently Im using 2500mah 6v Nimh packs. Should I be using different and better cell types.
It really depends on what you're powering, servo type, number of servos, load on servos, external accessories. Some servos are more efficient than others.
Ohmic is offline Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:30 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,036 Posts
If a 2500mAh NiMH pack has been working well, a 2 cell 2300mAh A123 pack would absolutely work equally as well, if not better. It'll be lighter and allow for sub-10 minute charges.

A two cell lipoly pack in conjunction with a BEC to regulate to 5 or 6 volts would work great as well.

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:37 PM
Gilbert AZ
Joined May 2012
1,617 Posts
I need to order more RX packs so where is a good place to order 2 cell LiFePO4 packs?
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:43 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,036 Posts
Go to eBay and do a search on "A123 6.6" or simply "A123 2300".

A123 Systems cells are widely recognized as the best and most durable LiFePO4 cells for receiver use.

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:45 PM
Gilbert AZ
Joined May 2012
1,617 Posts
Thanks.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:01 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,698 Posts
hangtimes.com or fromeco.org are my favorite pack assemblers for A123 packs. For non-A123 I use Hyperion from allerc.com or lipos.com.
Ohmic is offline Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:00 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,492 Posts
I've never used a Rx battery before but now I find myself wanting one to use in a test stand. I'm building it to test motor and servo setups. Or just test a servo before I put it in something. What do I need and where to buy? Thanks for your help.

Tom
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:21 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,386 Posts
I use a simple 4 cell AA holder available at most electrical shops ... or via ebay ...
4 AA NiMH rechargeable cells

Take an old servo that is no use anymore and cut of the lead ... seal of the signal lead, usually white or yellow - this is not necessary. Solder or connect the + and - leads to the holder ...

Bingo - a Rx power pack. You can use your clever LiPo charger to charge it or just use a Supermarket Wall charger by removing the cells as reqd. The charge will last ages in standard AA's as usually you wouldn't use much when testing.

Simple and works.

The next thing to get is a Servo Tester - so you don't have to fire up a Rx / Tx to do the testing ... for a few $ from Hobby King - brilliant item.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:19 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,492 Posts
Thanks Nigel. Thats a great idea.

Tom
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:06 PM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,061 Posts
NiCad and NiMh packs have worked for me for nearly forty years so they can't be all bad. And.... I've never lost a plane due to a battery failure but that is only because of careful management.

Twice this past year, a preflight battery check showed a battery pack with a dead cell that hadn't taken the overnight charge, which of course meant that plane didn't get flown and ounce it was the single plane I'd carried to the field.

The story is a bit bigger than that as I do an annual battery test on the twenty planes in the hanger and usually find 2-3 packs that need replaced. If a person has more than a few planes in the hanger, managing NiCad or NiMh packs is tough and unless quite vigilant can get into trouble. Even so, many of the planes in the fleet are not flight ready at any given time because of batteries that need cycled to be sure they are ok.

I recently decided it was time to convert to LiFe in hopes that they are more durable and will keep the fleet flight ready.

So far I've converted six of twenty and only one so far had older 4.8v only servos and needed voltage reduction done with two diodes.

I think I'm going to like the change.

If one has a couple of planes that can be left on a float charger... NiCads will do great.
AA5BY is offline Find More Posts by AA5BY
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:22 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carr52 View Post
I've never used a Rx battery before but now I find myself wanting one to use in a test stand. I'm building it to test motor and servo setups. Or just test a servo before I put it in something. What do I need and where to buy? Thanks for your help.

Tom
Good for you Tom!
Much safer when setting up an E-powered plane on the bench than plugging in the motor battery.

In addition to the suggestion to get a 4 cell battery box, if you know any glow/gas flyers, you can usually snag an old 4 cell pack off one of them that's been retired from active flying duty. You can easily keep it charged with the basic wall wart that comes with most radios.
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:24 PM
Gilbert AZ
Joined May 2012
1,617 Posts
Well I guess Im old school. I went ahead and ordered 6V Nimh rx Packs from headsup rc.