SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:55 PM
Joined Sep 2006
2 Posts
Discussion
Ranking of Spectrum Transmitters

I notice a lot of Spectrum Transmitters on the SVSS field. If you were in the market for a new 2.4GHz transmitter would you choose the DX8, DX7, or DX6? I have seen all three and wonder if there is a preference.
Chess
Chess is offline Find More Posts by Chess
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:00 AM
Good for what ALES you
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Jan 2009
446 Posts
It depends on what you want to fly.

I have a DX6 that is fine for Radians and straight-forward powered planes, but it isn't really capable of handling a full-house sailplane. I currently fly my Xplorer using a DX7 and it has taken every mixing trick and is still limited to 3 flight modes and a funky way to get variable camber to work. My DX7 is the heli version with the 3-way switch on the upper left for changing flight modes.

I haven't worked with the DX8 but it does have some nice new features but still has so sailplane programming. Spektrum moved the flight mode switch to the upper left, but it may still be limited to 3 positions. Looks like there are still only 6 mixing levels, and these disappear quickly when setting up full house. There is a rotary knob on the top that could be used for fine camber adjust, but it is in a terrible location and with no mixing channels left, I don't know how you would connect it to do camber control.
awilmunder is offline Find More Posts by awilmunder
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:04 PM
Joined Sep 2006
2 Posts
Thank you for your response. I plan to use the transmitter for a Radian,, kit, built gliders like a Gentle Lady, and electric park flhers like the Sig Rascal and Miss Stick.

I was told that the Spectrum 7 was easier to program than the Spectrum 6. Have you experienced the same?
Chess is offline Find More Posts by Chess
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:10 PM
Good for what ALES you
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Jan 2009
446 Posts
I find the controls a bit easier to use on the DX7 but most of the Spectrum TX's are moving towards the roller controller used on the DX6s. I have never tried anything complicated on the 6 since I bought it so I could fly foamies with my kids and I have never gone much beyond binding, setting servo directions, trims, and adjusting travel. If you are thinking of going beyond radians and park flyers, I would suggest the incremental expense of moving to at least a DX7 or 8. Another recommendation. The Heli version has a 3-way switch above the left shoulder of the TX. This has been handy for setting flight modes (launch, cruise, reflex).
awilmunder is offline Find More Posts by awilmunder