Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:48 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,944 Posts
Wheels

I tried a different approach to these wheels since Pete suggested that heavier wheels would be beneficial in providing some needed weight in the short D.VIII nose. (I normally do wheels this way).

So I searched out some appropriate tire material and settled on #18 O-Rings from Lowe's (a home improvement store in the US). Cut out Depron hubs, beveled the front, added 1/16 Aluminum tube centers, applied tissue, and added the tires. They spin nearly true on the .8mm wire axle I plan to use.

I had to mask and paint Pete's outer wheel covers since it's near impossible to apply a tissue decal to the cone while keeping a straight stripe. The picture below is photo deception - the stripe is in fact straight. Note that I painted Pete's tires the correct gray - haven't decided on mine since I like a subdued black/gray.

Now I just need to tone down the weathering and do some minor touch up.

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Sep 19, 2012, 02:32 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,946 Posts
WooHoo! Gene they look great! I've gone to using smaller diameter brass for my wheel hubs that way I can use thinner wire to have better spring action. I'm not sure of the .08 wire diameter vs the aluminum tube ID.

The wheels were well thought out and built mine with two fifferent covers too inside and outside.

BTW I got your super cool cowling lots of work went into getting that difficult part spot on! Well done Sir and thank you also for Z micro camera. Now I gott figure out how to use it no instuctions.

Pete
Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:12 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr View Post
I've gone to using smaller diameter brass for my wheel hubs that way I can use thinner wire to have better spring action.
Now you tell me....

Quote:
Now I got to figure out how to use [keychain camera] with no instuctions.
It's is an old #3 808 camera - the line is up to #18 as of today! I sent you an email last week with lots of links to instructions, suggestions, etc. For starters, it doesn't get much better than right here on RCGroups. However, since that's a560 page thread, you'll have an easier time finding more distilled info here.

It's charged up and ready to go, so shoot and post away!

Gene K
Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:14 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,944 Posts
Quote:
... [you] built mine with two different covers too inside and outside.
As is mine.

Gene K
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:13 PM
Crazy Canuck
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2007
2,209 Posts
Well here I go let's see if this works, the video is of a dogfight scene with Fokker triplanes
Dog Fighting WWIMicro planes (2 min 30 sec)
NEWBEFLYER is offline Find More Posts by NEWBEFLYER
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:15 PM
Crazy Canuck
Joined Apr 2007
2,209 Posts
WOW! It really does work! I'm soooo cool ...look out RCG I'm posting videos whipppeee!!!!Here's Pete's Neauport video
Pete's Neauport (5 min 17 sec)
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:17 PM
Crazy Canuck
Joined Apr 2007
2,209 Posts
The "Intel Den" with the guys
Pete in The Intel Den (2 min 58 sec)
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:25 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,944 Posts
Engine Progress

In an effort to copy Pete's amazing rotating engine on his NP-11, I searched the Internet for more info on the Fokker D.VIII's Oberursel-UR2 engine. Among the great info I found (besides that provided by PiperCub49 and UNGN in Pete's NP-11 thread) were plans for a 1/33 paper model, and also many graphics, including these beautiful illustrations.

I downloaded the paper plan and scaled it for the ROF cowl, and it became (more) obvious that the Depron cowl was too thick to house a scale-diameter engine. Accordingly, I proceeded to use my trusty Dremel to remove foam from the inside of the cowl: the resulting thin fiberglass shell is flexible, but I'll reinforce the end with a former that holds the magnets that will attach the cowl to the firewall.

Shown below are pics of a partial mock up of the paper engine and the slimmed cowl.

Gene K
Last edited by speedy01; Dec 07, 2013 at 01:59 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:20 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,946 Posts
Gene,

Excellent effort...

Toni....

If your out there... Help! Your designs made by Shapeways would be so cool in the D.VIII....

We'll carry on.....

Pete
Old Sep 28, 2012, 07:13 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,944 Posts
Quote:
Excellent effort...
Thanks, Pete. Hopefully it'll work as well as yours!

The engine center sections are 110#-card covered Depron, drilled to accept an Aluminum or brass bearer for the prop shaft. In the first picture, you can see the tool that I used to "wrap-up" the cylinders.

The paper model designer did a great job!

Gene
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:03 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,946 Posts
Wow! that looks great... Do you think the cylinders will hold up? Are they card stock (heavy paper) ? I'd use a brass tube if you have some. As I think that will be more true and hold up better. If you can you may want to place a disc of light ply on the back side/inside with the foam and brass/aluminum tube.

Is the clearance ok?

Pete
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:08 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,944 Posts
Quote:
Do you think the cylinders will hold up?
Absolutely. I used Por to mount the open-ended cylinders, and then put a healthy drop of Elmer's white glue into each before adding the top. Feels very strong.

Quote:
Are they card stock (heavy paper) ?
Yes, 110# Velum rolled around a screwdriver handle to form.

Quote:
Is the clearance ok?
It will be tight with details added to the top of the cylinders... but, I think I may be overkilling on details. Test fitting to the installed PZ Mustang motor will tell the tale.

Gene K
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:59 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,946 Posts
Looks like you've got it. Remember you'll be adding some down and right thrust to the P-51 shaft. That may give you less room.

Does the P-51 spur and big gear fit inside or do you even need it to with the shaft extension? BTW I have 4 micro brass nuts that will fit the brass shaft extension. I'll put one in the mail with your MG's when I do your motor (I'm going to make two). I'll show you a picture of my Voss DR-I as I just put the extension shaft on mine. It makes it look cool with my soda can aluminum prop hub plate. Well at least if your using the PZ P-51 prop.

BTW did you see in the 1:24 scale paper build I sent the metalic paper the builder used? That could make a pretty good looking motor too.

What glue did you use at first when making the cylinders? Where did you get your card paper?

What's the weight at this point of your motor?

Thanks,

Pete
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:30 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,944 Posts
Quote:
Does the P-51 spur and big gear fit inside or do you even need it to with the shaft extension?
Doesn't need it with the extension, but I may make another motor that is "hollow" enough to house the gear (thus precluding use of the extension)..... still figgerin'. No need to make a motor for me, Pete, as I have this one figured out - thanks!

Quote:
I'll show you a picture of my Voss DR-I as I just put the extension shaft on mine.
Great -- I'll be looking in your Voss thread .

Quote:
BTW did you see in the 1:24 scale paper build I sent the metalic paper the builder used?
Unfortunately, that paper's no longer available (for those interested in an amazing paper over-the-top D.VIII build, see here).

Quote:
What glue did you use at first when making the cylinders? Where did you get your card paper?
I used Elmer's Rubber Cement to form them, then Por to attach them to the hub. The card stock came from my old paper model stash - I think I got it at Office Depot.[/QUOTE]

Making the engine has been a neat excursion for me, just like making the cowl. I may even make some real progress on the airframe next week.

Gene K
Last edited by speedy01; Sep 28, 2012 at 02:38 PM.