HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2012, 05:28 PM
Joined Jun 2007
153 Posts
Discussion
Why not many outboard motor in market?

Why there is not many "outboard motor" is not available in the market. I bought one from Ebay but it is garbage. It needs mod to do.
congcon97 is offline Find More Posts by congcon97
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2012, 01:30 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,497 Posts
Well what did you pay for it?

Another thing, if it's not my outboard, it probably doesn't count as micro.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Feb 29, 2012, 01:18 PM
1000 Islands, NY
Joined Dec 2009
462 Posts
There are some "toy" outboards that are on the smaller side (1:10-1:12 scale) but they are far from hobby grade. I modded a Nylint Mercury last year and it works okay (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1202478), but I suspect its longevity would be limited. A source for small metal gears that fit inside the housings would be helpful in making the toy motors viable in the hobby realm...
Chinewalker is offline Find More Posts by Chinewalker
Old Feb 29, 2012, 01:35 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinewalker View Post
There are some "toy" outboards that are on the smaller side (1:10-1:12 scale) but they are far from hobby grade. I modded a Nylint Mercury last year and it works okay (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1202478), but I suspect its longevity would be limited. A source for small metal gears that fit inside the housings would be helpful in making the toy motors viable in the hobby realm...
My original Nano outboard was a gear grive, but the smallest Gear I could find had an o.d. of 4.8mm. That is way too big. There isn't anything flexible enough for a flex drive either. That's how it got to be the PDO.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2012, 02:41 PM
Straight up is all I ask
Fairfield Ct USA
Joined Apr 2002
2,320 Posts
There is some 1/16 control line cable that worked ok stainless too I think it came with the golden rod .
jmolwitz is offline Find More Posts by jmolwitz
Old Mar 01, 2012, 02:55 PM
USA, NY, Laurel
Joined Aug 2010
1,098 Posts
what brand/make is the outboard?
catchthis is offline Find More Posts by catchthis
Old Mar 01, 2012, 03:56 PM
1000 Islands, NY
Joined Dec 2009
462 Posts
The one I modified was a Nylint Mercury. B.I.M.'s motor is homebrew...
Chinewalker is offline Find More Posts by Chinewalker
Old Mar 01, 2012, 04:26 PM
USA, NY, Laurel
Joined Aug 2010
1,098 Posts
thanks scott, i actually saw yours on youtube and the home made one on rcgroups, i was wondering what the person that started the thread had. BTW the bass boat is doing great, I am going to start re building the blue hull soon!
catchthis is offline Find More Posts by catchthis
Old Mar 04, 2012, 10:23 AM
Joined Jun 2007
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
My original Nano outboard was a gear grive, but the smallest Gear I could find had an o.d. of 4.8mm. That is way too big. There isn't anything flexible enough for a flex drive either. That's how it got to be the PDO.
I bought one from Ebay although it is not very much available. Yes I have to change (as U call Mod) the motor into brushless. And change the gear probably coz this toy pinion gear can not bear the RPM & torque of the brushless system.
congcon97 is offline Find More Posts by congcon97
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:13 AM
Sometimes I am the weapon
South Korea, Gyeonggi-do, Ansan-si
Joined Jan 2006
1,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by congcon97 View Post
Why there is not many "outboard motor" is not available in the market. I bought one from Ebay but it is garbage. It needs mod to do.
It's not one from a Mitsuwa model boat is it? Mitsuwa made small models of Mercury, Yamaha and Johnson outboards (to name a few) that fit on a model pleasure or racing boat of similar scale. They are frequently on Ebay. Nothing really fancy but it would be neat to see one converted to R/C.
Harquebus is offline Find More Posts by Harquebus
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:21 AM
Houghton Lake MI
Joined Apr 2008
199 Posts
Just thinking out loud here, but would H.O. slot car gears work for this? The crown gears are a bit bigger than I would like, but there are some pretty small pinions, and they are pretty tough.
cougdave is offline Find More Posts by cougdave
Old Apr 23, 2012, 12:26 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,497 Posts
It depends on how big you want your outboard to be. Take a look at my micro outboard thread. I explored -what I believe to be- all options.

I'll provide a link later.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:15 PM
GILL
United States, NJ, Hopatcong
Joined Aug 2005
2,575 Posts
If you go to Wizard High performance you can get differant size in aluminum and brass. Gears start on page 18 of the cataloge.
http://www.wizzardho.com/Main.htm
GILL RC is offline Find More Posts by GILL RC
Old Apr 29, 2012, 04:04 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GILL RC View Post
If you go to Wizard High performance you can get differant size in aluminum and brass. Gears start on page 18 of the cataloge.
http://www.wizzardho.com/Main.htm
looking at the catalog, the smallest crown gear is .380 inch or nearly 10mm in diameter!

better place would be the guys in germany doing the micro rock crawlers and trail trucks, 1:87 scale marvels of hobby engineering
derk is online now Find More Posts by derk