SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 05, 2012, 12:15 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I think the way I have it now it hovers around 3/4 stick so I should be OK. I'll just keep playing with it while making sure I'm hovering at 3/4 stick.
Just be aware you might need to take some pitch out at that point because 100% throttle will be higher than what you have set now at the hover point. In other words, don't be surprised if it hovers at a lower stick position when you bump up to 100% throttle. Just take some pitch out to move that stick position back up to 3/4.
kokopelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopelli
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2012, 12:18 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Thanks. I'll experiment and see what works. But I did fly a few packs with my throttle curve at 100 across the board and I was OK with it.

The only thing I probably need to do is to ensure that I don't have too much negative pitch below mid stick so I don't accidentally put it into the ground at full speed when I try to chop throttle. But I'm pretty good with the throttle hold switch so I should be OK
Yeah I would mess with your pitch curve first as I said for overall jumpiness and 30% rates you have too much pos and too much negative pitch
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Jan 05, 2012, 12:22 PM
United States, FL, Oviedo
Joined Apr 2011
203 Posts
I have only flown about 10 batteries thru my C05M/XP7a/TheSteve BL mod and was not real impressed. Then after the latest discussion on here, I was reminded to modify my throttle curve. In IU, it was 100,90,80,90,100. I think this was from the HH website to setup on DX8. I bumped it up to 100,96,92,96,100. What a big improvement. Thanks for the reminder.
cgriffith is offline Find More Posts by cgriffith
Old Jan 05, 2012, 12:26 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgriffith View Post
I have only flown about 10 batteries thru my C05M/XP7a/TheSteve BL mod and was not real impressed. Then after the latest discussion on here, I was reminded to modify my throttle curve. In IU, it was 100,90,80,90,100. I think this was from the HH website to setup on DX8. I bumped it up to 100,96,92,96,100. What a big improvement. Thanks for the reminder.
You must have the resistor mod to give you throttle control. I have those same conversion kit components (plug and play from WOW Hobbies) and my throttle just runs at 100% after the slow start. Basically, the motor is either max on or off. Flies great, though. I can haul around 500mAh batteries and get 7+ minutes of "easy" aerobatic flight.
Old Jan 05, 2012, 12:29 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokopelli View Post
You must have the resistor mod to give you throttle control. I have those same conversion kit components (plug and play from WOW Hobbies) and my throttle just runs at 100% after the slow start. Basically, the motor is either max on or off. Flies great, though. I can haul around 500mAh batteries and get 7+ minutes of "easy" aerobatic flight.
I have not resistor mod and have full throttle control on my brushless. Mine is soldered straight to the front of the board.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2012, 12:33 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
I have not resistor mod and have full throttle control on my brushless. Mine is soldered straight to the front of the board.
I wasn't talking to you. But, since you quoted me, do you have all those exact same components (ESC, motor, BL signal converter)? Also, the resistor can be on the converter end and not necessarily up at the throttle input on the board...
Old Jan 05, 2012, 12:56 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
I wasn't talking to you. But, since you quoted me, do you have all those exact same components (ESC, motor, BL signal converter)? Also, the resistor can be on the converter end and not necessarily up at the throttle input on the board...
No I dont have the same setup as you but very close. I was just basicly saying you dont have to have the resistor for full throttle control...

I have linear throttle control and most that do the direct solder to the front of the board get full control. Yes you can add the resistor to the converter (or get it predone) or solder a resistor straight to the plug itself but it is more to be able to pull signal from the main motor attachment point and not to give linear throttle control

Wows plug in play setup is known to have throttle control issues.

On my setup I have no resistor and it is the standard thesteve highspeed converter, co5 motor and an aerorc esc.
I also have a hp05s, thesteve (no resistor) and a xp7 esc with full throttle control.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2012, 01:02 PM
United States, FL, Oviedo
Joined Apr 2011
203 Posts
to clarify, my theSteve yellow signal wire is soldered directly to 3-n-1 right side of resistor for linear throttle. I was amazed that I was able to do it right without destroying my board.
cgriffith is offline Find More Posts by cgriffith
Old Jan 05, 2012, 01:02 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
No I dont have the same setup as you but very close. I was just saying you dont have to have the resistor for full throttle control... I have linear throttle control and most that do the direct solder to the front of the board get full control.
Huh...maybe I'll have to play with my throttle curves some to see if I really do have throttle control. I do have the yellow throttle signal wire soldered directly to the board after the wire broke off the plug in a crash. Frankly, I've just left it at a 100% throttle setup across the board since I want it there anyway. Throttle control is of no real use to me with the mCP X other than for spooling up and down for takeoff/landing, so an "on/off" motor control works for me. Seems most people who get into inverted flight and flipping their mCP X pretty much end up with a flat 100% throttle "curve" anyway, or pretty darned close to one with throttle still being up in the 90+% range in the middle...
Old Jan 05, 2012, 01:06 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
If you have the special converter from wow the resistor could be causing the lack of throttle if/when you pull the signal through the gate on the main board.

Though if you have a direct connection to the motor port i would still think you wouldnt have control as the front of the board as the motor plug has more issues pulling the signal

But like you said for most stunt flying throttle control isnt needed and a 100% works great. But for regular flight for newer or more mellow flyers it is nice to have the linear control.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2012, 01:09 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
If you have the special converter from wow the resistor could be causing the lack of throttle when you pull the signal through the gate on the main board.
As far as I know, it's just the regular "The Steve" converter.

Quote:
But like you said for most stunt flying throttle control isnt needed and a 100% works great. But for regular flight for newer or more mellow flyers it is nice to have the linear control.
I find 100% throttle still works great for hovering and general slow flight in the house. Mine just seems "happier" and more settled/stable at 100%. Even stock, I really didn't notice much difference from about 85% throttle on up anyway.
Old Jan 05, 2012, 01:15 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
As far as I know, it's just the regular "The Steve" converter.

I find 100% throttle still works great for hovering and general slow flight in the house. Mine just seems "happier" and more settled/stable at 100%. Even stock, I really didn't notice much difference from about 85% throttle on up anyway.
It doesnt realy matter since you are happy with 100% throttle all the time, but does it have a blue or a black wire coming out of it?

If it is blue it is the normal converter and not Wows special edition.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2012, 01:17 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
As previously stated, the motor signal wire is yellow on mine.
Old Jan 05, 2012, 01:25 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Sorry i wasnt more clear as i was not refering to the signal wire for the colors. The tell tell sign if the converter has the resistor built in is the power wire will be black (not blue) as seen below.
Since throttle control isnt an issue for you if it doesnt have the resistor it will be easier to use on another micro model conversion in the future. That is if you were ever interested in using it on another project.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2012, 01:29 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Ah, mine doesn't have "wires", except for the yellow motor wire. The converter is hard soldered directly to the ESC via three pins, and they're all just bare metal, so there's really no telling with the resistor.