New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 29, 2015, 04:03 PM
Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,644 Posts
It's been a while but I have finally been able to fulfill my wish to make it out to the flight training school south of Portage La Prairie, Man. My wife and I took hundreds of pictures of mine, 314, plus others like 304, 305, and 307, which are on standby with the Government. The yellow and green helicopters can be brought back to active service just by having an order given to do so. They would be painted ASAP in the current dark blue scheme. Some have wondered in the past how I could verify the colour and what better way than to put my model right up beside one of those yellow and green helicopters and take a simple picture. The match is spot on. I now have a lot of little details to put on like stencils that are not complete, and more vents for various overflow points. The landing/warning light was spot on but once I saw one of the helicopters fired up, I knew that the tail lights were not correct. The white marker is solid and the rotating beacon is in fact a triple firing strobe. At least that is very easy to do with the light controller I have.

My contact there was very helpful in getting me access to all the hangers and to any aircraft I needed. They held 314 from flight on Wednesday last week so I could take all the pictures of the cockpit I needed. 304 was brought into the maintenance hanger to have a chin window fixed that was discovered while I was looking over the three yellow 139's. More photo ops for details that I might not have been able to see the day before. A few of the staff have RC helicopters and their ad-hoc field is the practice zone where the full size do autorotation landings. They fly there when there are no operations going and a couple of them own Logo helicopters by their spotting of the main rotor being from my first Logo 5003D.

One item of note. While there, the crew asked if I could fly my helicopters for them as a display of scale flying. I had my three helicopters there but it was felt that two would be more than enough. After the last aircraft touched down, the control tower shut the airport down so I could do my demonstration flight right out on the hardstand in front of the hangars. I'm so glad I worked out the wobbles as I was taking off of concrete. I did a run-on landing which got a comment from one of the pilots that he wished he could do that on the runway, rather than the grass, with his helicopter. I also did a gross weight takeoff and a nose-in landing with a backwards obstruction clearing takeoff. The final landing was a high angle approach to the same spot I took off from. I did a similar flight with the TOW Defender but passed on the run-on landing as the skids are nearly worn through, lol. It was an honour to do this demo in front of the staff, pilots, instructors, and mechanics. I've got lots of work to do now to bring it up to the level of detail I have been able to pictures of. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is online now Find More Posts by Keyrigger
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2015, 05:58 PM
Find More Posts by getsuyoubi
United States, NY, New York
Joined Sep 2013
511 Posts
That's a great picture!
getsuyoubi is offline Find More Posts by getsuyoubi
Old Jun 30, 2015, 07:41 PM
Find More Posts by rotoraddict
Joined Jul 2008
1,729 Posts
Great story along with a good picture.
rotoraddict is offline Find More Posts by rotoraddict
Old Jun 30, 2015, 11:12 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,644 Posts
Thanks guys.

Don
Old Jul 27, 2015, 06:11 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,644 Posts
This past weekend was our 6th annual Warbirds Over the Bay fly-in at the Burlington RC Modelers' flying club. Last year, not too long before this same weekend, I started to build the CH-139 and I have an interesting comparison shot of the two weekends a year apart. The first picture is of the bare shell beside the donor helicopter and the second is its current state. Man, how time flies.

Don
Old Aug 06, 2015, 12:55 PM
Find More Posts by GyroMan
Joined Apr 2009
207 Posts
Don, Congratulations on your well deserved second place win with this CH-139 in the very difficult 518 scale competition class, at the recently completed US Nats
GyroMan is offline Find More Posts by GyroMan
Old Aug 06, 2015, 08:34 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,644 Posts
Thanks very much. The judges took the time after the contest to help me understand what I could have done better and how the documents you provide can help or hurt your presentation. All three said that I had a good balance of overall pictures and detail shots. The three said that if I had a full cockpit, the tail on the right side, and the main rotor going the right direction, It would have been placed first in the static. I knew it going in but the difference was less than 15 points to the winner and he had a full cockpit with pilots et. all. Thanks and chat with you soon.

Don
Old Aug 12, 2015, 10:40 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,644 Posts
I have had a few days to relax from the US Nationals and IRCHA. As you saw above, I took second in the AMA 518 Scale Helicopter competition. What was not posted is that I had an unexpected autorotation landing as I was about to finish the first part of my mandatory maneuvers. My first round had a very low score, but it was to shape the rest of the competition for me. I bundled up the helicopter and headed back to the tent to survey the damage and much to my surprise, it was all superficial.

There were a couple of cracks in the joining surfaces between the canopy and the leading edge of the body but nothing that was to prevent it from flying. The landing gear bore the brunt of the landing and it was collapsed level with the ground once again. I managed to remove it from the body and did my best to get it back into shape in the event the helicopter was not too badly wrecked. I had to try and complete my Sport Scale flight but the weather prevented that as a full out thunderhead passed too close for safety and the CD called the competition for the day.

So with that over, I had a second look at the helicopter and the only thing I could find wrong was a popped servo link. The rotor seemed to be still straight and most commented that there seemed to be no energy left in the blades right at the moment of touch down. I took a chance and headed out to the flight line after the storm had passed and sure as shootin' , it spooled up smooth as silk. At least all I needed to do was to go over the helicopter at the hotel and see if there was something I could do to stop myself from remaining in Normal Mode. I have lowered the head speed down as much as the governor will allow (I will lower them all a lot more in the next few days) so that it will not lift off very well.

A few things like the anchor points, UHF antenna, long range wire antenna, the clipboard on the dash, and the lower wire strike cutter, were scattered to the winds on the landing. I have spent the past few hours making them over again and will attach the wire strike in the morning and finish the riveting and paint a bit later. I have a lot of pictures from the rebuild before I left to compete as when I compared my work to the actual helicopter, there were far too many errors to leave it. I completely rebuilt the instrument panel, air conditioning system, and the fresh air vents. The instrument panel was corrected and the others were far too small compared to the original.

I will post pictures of the rebuild plus the crash repairs over the next day or so. After the competition, I pulled out the instrument panel to show some of the competitors so they could see how I did it. I will be seeing two of the judges at Dalton, GA. next month and then I will pull it out for them to have a close look at. One of them had noticed that there was a clipboard on the dash and did a little careful looking through the opened windows to find I had not forgotten it. He was impressed, lol. Take care and pics to come.

Don

PS: I did not compete in IRCHA but chose to learn how to judge. I shadowed one of the three judges and compared how I scored the competitor's flights to his. We were very close and he gave me a few tips on how and where to mark individual maneuvers. MAN, did I learn a lot.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 11:16 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,644 Posts
Here are some pictures of the rebuilding of the instrument panel. When you look in the windows, you would hardly believe it is a model, lol. The pedals and the floor pieces they sat on were fine and didn't need any reworking at all. I'll see if I can get a couple of pictures of the external details that I redid when I get pictures of the repaired external parts in place. Take care.

Don
Old Aug 14, 2015, 11:26 AM
Find More Posts by rotoraddict
Joined Jul 2008
1,729 Posts
Impressive - proof to the saying that "A scale model is really never finished."
rotoraddict is offline Find More Posts by rotoraddict
Old Aug 14, 2015, 09:57 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,644 Posts
You're sooo right. I am already planning a second one but this time, 700 in size. No point in letting all that good research go to waste. Besides, this one is retired from the US for competition and I need another 518 scale project to look forward to. Who knows, at this rate, it might be two. Thanks and take care.

Don
Old Aug 22, 2015, 02:00 AM
Find More Posts by justy g
Burning & Turning
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2007
1,021 Posts
Still hard at it.. Looking good!
justy g is offline Find More Posts by justy g
Old Aug 22, 2015, 09:29 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,644 Posts
Thanks Justy. I have a couple of pictures that I had taken today at the club of me, the helicopters, and the hardware. I actually did a bit of crowing about the placements of the CH-139 and the TOW Defender. They flew great on our all electric fun fly day. Take care.

Don