- Phil
Smokin' Beaver is offline Find More Posts by Smokin' Beaver
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2014, 12:29 AM
Find More Posts by meltor
Southern MN USA
Joined Jun 2012
451 Posts
thanks Phil, we are working on another video with more footage from my guillows conversions.it should have footage of every one to date. I will be sure to post it when it is done.
meltor is offline Find More Posts by meltor
Old May 18, 2015, 01:54 AM
Find More Posts by savageseoul7
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined May 2015
1 Posts
what is depron?
savageseoul7 is offline Find More Posts by savageseoul7
Old May 18, 2015, 05:02 PM
Find More Posts by turbonut
Pro Hoarder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
8,387 Posts
Foam for building
http://www.rcfoam.com/gsr/depron.htm...FdcWHwodsgwAdw
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Old May 19, 2015, 08:39 PM
Find More Posts by AntiArf
Joined Feb 2013
1,066 Posts
Took off dead straight and looked like it was flying itself, with no correction required. Proving once again that these models fly fine, for people that build straight and know what they're doing.
AntiArf is offline Find More Posts by AntiArf
Old May 21, 2015, 12:23 AM
Southern MN USA
Joined Jun 2012
451 Posts
the p-38 airframe turned out great and it really is a good flying model. it makes scale like rolls and loops are easy with no twist or turn as long as you are straight into the wind. If I was to build this model again I would use more powerful motors and esc's. this setup flys the model well but it is hard on them with 3s 1500mah batteries . I did find some 6x4 props that are easier on the motors but a 3s twin setup needs to be looked into @ some point.
thanks for the kind comment Anti.
Old May 21, 2015, 08:40 AM
Find More Posts by Edubarca
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltor View Post
the p-38 airframe turned out great and it really is a good flying model. it makes scale like rolls and loops are easy with no twist or turn as long as you are straight into the wind. If I was to build this model again I would use more powerful motors and esc's. this setup flys the model well but it is hard on them with 3s 1500mah batteries . I did find some 6x4 props that are easier on the motors but a 3s twin setup needs to be looked into @ some point.
thanks for the kind comment Anti.
You may or may not know that the real P-38 needed as much power as possible. Several pilots said that the more power it has the better it flies. I suppose that in model form is the same.
Edubarca is offline Find More Posts by Edubarca
Old Aug 12, 2015, 02:14 AM
Find More Posts by bogdan.motrici
Romania, Bucharest
Joined Jan 2014
59 Posts
Hi guys,
Mine is arriving today, will start slowly the build but wonder if someone went on glow engines 1-1.5CC? I think it would be interesting but pretty much sensitive taking into consideration the fact is a small plane. I think will go electric for sure but still thinking if there is an option to go with 1CC glow engines.
Cheers,
bogdan.motrici is offline Find More Posts by bogdan.motrici
Old Aug 12, 2015, 08:01 AM
Find More Posts by Edubarca
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdan.motrici View Post
Hi guys,
Mine is arriving today, will start slowly the build but wonder if someone went on glow engines 1-1.5CC? I think it would be interesting but pretty much sensitive taking into consideration the fact is a small plane. I think will go electric for sure but still thinking if there is an option to go with 1CC glow engines.
Cheers,
I would go electrics, although I dislike them. This is because if you use IC engines, if one engine stops, it is very difficult, almost impossible to control the model. Electrics don't fail one first and then the other. This makes much more sensible to install them on any twin engine model except perhaps the Cessna Skymaster. Good luck!!
EDUARDO
Edubarca is offline Find More Posts by Edubarca
Old Aug 12, 2015, 11:17 AM
Romania, Bucharest
Joined Jan 2014
59 Posts
Agree with you, indeed, if one stops, there is a big issue, maybe only if I am fast enough to stop the other engine and land without engines if high enough but still big chance to do a crash. I think will go electric indeed and if I love it, I will buy another one and do the glow conversion.
Here are the first pictures.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 12:20 PM
Southern MN USA
Joined Jun 2012
451 Posts
hi guys, I'm glad to see that there is still interest in this build. this model is very pleasing to fly not by any means scary. the ground handeling is great and the hobby king retracts are still working after many flights. I have had a tough time with power for this model and my goal is to make 5 min flights without beating up motors and batterys. the 2800 kv 29gram motors that I started with were really stressed with an 8x4 prop on a 2200mah 2s battery and flight times weren't very long 4 min. at best. I went with a 3s 1500mah battery and some 7x5 carbon fiber props using the 2800 kv motors and had better results but the flight times were still less than 4 min. and it was very hard on the motors and I badly puffed the 1500mah 3s battery. just a handful of flights and the bearings were loose in the 2800 kv motors and they were black in the windings. so before I had a motor failure I switched to a 1200 kv 39 gram motor which had just enough power to fly with the 7x5 carbon props.
just last night I switched the props to 8x4.5 and I plan to fly it again soon. this whole time I have been using the 18 amp escs that I started with . I am thinking that I will end up with a 9x4 prop with these 1200kv motors.
here is the last flight that I made with the 2800 kv 29 g motors and a 1500mah 3s battery. the battery was nearly flat on approach and I set her down just short of the runway. it was after this flight that I could wiggle the port prop shaft and it was getting worse so this prompted going to the 1200 kv motors and bigger props.
Guillows P-38 R/C short landing (3 min 1 sec)
Old Aug 13, 2015, 03:35 PM
Romania, Bucharest
Joined Jan 2014
59 Posts
Hope it will look the same as yours, not sure , let's see. Congrats for yours, looks fantastic. I look at this kit since 2-3 months already, taking into consideration that I was looking for a while for a nice two engine plane. Now, let's see if I manage to build this as I have experience of building only 2 kits and those were clearly beginners one but for this I will study as much as possible and hope will not do mistakes. Quick question, why you would consider not ok using the scale elevator and rudder? I think I would want to use them instead of the ones recommended to build for electric version. Tomorrow I start studying the plans. Tonight I just took out the pieces from the sheets.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 03:53 PM
Romania, Bucharest
Joined Jan 2014
59 Posts
Right wing almost ready, remain the aileron to do.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 10:32 PM
Southern MN USA
Joined Jun 2012
451 Posts
hi bogdan, I'm really glad that you have interest in building the P-38 but we should really make you your own build thread and then just put it in phils list of conversions http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=827861
that way we can use my information for yours and many others builds and this thread wont get so full