Old Aug 22, 2015, 07:29 PM
Find More Posts by ZIPPER
by ZIPPER
East Kurrajong Sydney Australia
Joined Aug 2004
5,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douwe View Post
Hundreds of thousands of people die in car crashes yet I bet you don't warn people off driving. Thousands of cars catch fire (most start from the energy provided from lead acid batteries) and hundreds die and huge fires have started because of such yet, again, I bet you don't warn people off driving.
Our cars in Australia don't catch on fire like they do in the states. Every car in the states that is involved in a crash seems to catch on fire, every movie I've seen proves it.

Yes there is just as much risk of any battery catching fire, but the reason I wont use a Lipo in a slope plane is that they aren't as mechanically protected as other batteries which gives them a bigger risk of catching fire in a crash, which is why RC cars use hard case Lipo's.
ZIPPER is offline Find More Posts by ZIPPER
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2015, 07:45 PM
Find More Posts by Douwe
United States, CA, Redwood City
Joined Nov 2006
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIPPER View Post
Our cars in Australia don't catch on fire like they do in the states. Every car in the states that is involved in a crash seems to catch on fire, every movie I've seen proves it.
Funny, most car fires in a movie series that I can remember is in Mad Max, Road Warrior and Beyond Thunder dome.

Yes maybe a bigger risk but down in the noise of being statistically insignificant. Everyone picks their own poison and I am happy we can hash it out here vs ,hopefully, not being confronted on the slope by someone who gets in a Lipo flyers face with the premise that they are being dangerous and putting everyone else in jeopardy.

BTW one of my favorite souvenirs I have from my trip to OZ is a speeding ticket I got driving from Cairns to Townsville. The cop was hiding in a Cane field with a radar mounted on a tall pole poking out just above the tall cane . He walks out onto the roadway, stands perpendicular to traffic, and starts a violent arm gesture routine pointing down at a about a 10 O'clock position. The cop was wearing a long white trench coat with a weird looking safari type helmet. It took him about 20 minutes to write me up and the ticket unfolds like a bunch of taped together playing cards that folds out to, I think, over a meter long. I thought he may be a circus runaway but it was real (a real clown act to be sure). BTW, when are you guys going to learn to drive on the correct side of the road
Douwe is online now Find More Posts by Douwe
Last edited by Douwe; Aug 22, 2015 at 08:08 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 07:54 PM
Find More Posts by ZIPPER
by ZIPPER
East Kurrajong Sydney Australia
Joined Aug 2004
5,855 Posts
May be, but that wasn't a chick flick.
ZIPPER is offline Find More Posts by ZIPPER
Old Aug 22, 2015, 08:06 PM
Find More Posts by Douwe
Joined Nov 2006
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIPPER View Post
May be, but that wasn't a chick flick.
Dunno 'bout that. A lot of stateside girls really dug Mel Gibson before he proved to be loonie and Tina Turner gave them a good role model to live up to as far as being wild and powerful
Old Aug 22, 2015, 09:07 PM
Find More Posts by Zenmaniac
Building with TLAR precision
near Madison, WI
Joined Jan 2009
3,123 Posts
Hey, how about them Gizmos?

-= Dave
Zenmaniac is offline Find More Posts by Zenmaniac
Old Aug 22, 2015, 09:22 PM
Find More Posts by Douwe
Joined Nov 2006
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenmaniac View Post

-= Dave
Yup, really cool plank going on 115 pages of:

They are really cool.
They are hard to get.
A couple of new versions are in the works.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 09:33 PM
Find More Posts by HUMPHREY1957
I was 1eyed But I fixed that
Central Coast NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2007
1,988 Posts
WOW.
Ron Burgundy - That Escalated Quickly (0 min 8 sec)
HUMPHREY1957 is offline Find More Posts by HUMPHREY1957
Old Aug 23, 2015, 02:13 AM
Find More Posts by macinr
USA, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
1,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenmaniac View Post

-= Dave
I've basically stopped using rcgroups because of the posts that lead to your post. There are a couple names I recognize on the groups such as Zenmaniac (and Timbuck) whom share great information about this hobby - contribution of new ideas and techniques, a whole lot of positivity. Worthwhile contributions.

I fly my GizLite in a national Forrest. It's one of the most amazing places. I've taken photos of my GizLite there atop the mountains - I know there are other "highs" in life but man, for me, it doesn't get much better than that. I have told my wife I couldn't move anywhere that I couldn't slope... I couldn't imagine ever harming something which provides me with so much joy in life.

I'm a firm believer and contributor to open source software. I belive in the sharing of knowledge. But keep it to the point.

Tim built a spacecraft in his shed. Nobody had anything like the Gizmo. I think I read 45 pages of this thread in a night and then sent him a PM about getting on the list. My sloper buddy James sniffed out the Gizmo on his own and later signed up as well.

There couldn't have been two more stoked people than James and myself when we recieved a box from Australia.

The contents were so innovative. Lots of potential fun too.

It's so easy to throw rocks from the sidelines of life, but it really takes courage to be a maker.

I can't wait to see the G2M in person, I'm sure one will be landing in America soon as Tim produces and gets sh*t done.
macinr is offline Find More Posts by macinr
Old Aug 23, 2015, 03:02 AM
Find More Posts by timbuck
Plank Evolution is the key....
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,054 Posts
Thanks for the kind words That's the type off stuff that drives me to create and supply these little "creators of happiness" to all those who feel the need to fly one. It's a hard slog , and with the road blocks I've had to jump over along the way it has been testing to say the least , but from my perspective there is always someone off worse off than you. It's always hard building and developing at the same time but hey , that's just what I like to do..... And now I believe I have what I was looking for. The new gizlites have sure been worth waiting for , and the results will speak for them selves I guess. I don't think I've build better toy planes
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More colours
Old Aug 23, 2015, 11:19 AM
Find More Posts by Diceman89
Ultrabatics enthusiast
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2012
1,563 Posts
Sweet. Excited about both planes Tim!! The lite and G2M. As I am on the list for both. love the look of your planes and so appreciate all the hard work you are doing for this great hobby! Just wish I had your talents. Keep doing what your doing, your doing it well!
Diceman89 is offline Find More Posts by Diceman89
Old Aug 23, 2015, 11:37 AM
Find More Posts by Zenmaniac
Building with TLAR precision
near Madison, WI
Joined Jan 2009
3,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinr View Post
I've basically stopped using rcgroups because of the posts that lead to your post. There are a couple names I recognize on the groups such as Zenmaniac (and Timbuck) whom share great information about this hobby - contribution of new ideas and techniques, a whole lot of positivity. Worthwhile contributions.
I agree wholeheartedly about Timbuck. But the latest metrics of my postings shows "83.7% frivolous and failed attempts at humor".

Thanks, macinr.

-= Dave
Zenmaniac is offline Find More Posts by Zenmaniac