Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beobe View Post
Voodoo on a 6 cel and a 9x9 prop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CITXEmK6DGc
so about 120 with no wind...LOL

I flew my Critical Mass off of its landing gear for the first time ever yesterday!! Very good looking plane and so much fun to fly even after the 2 years that I have had it!!
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2015, 01:06 PM
Find More Posts by IatricSB
Joined Jan 2013
36 Posts
Receiver

Just got the high speed version and am currently finishing up the build.

Where is the best place to put the receiver? On top of the wing, side of the fuselage near battery, other?
IatricSB is offline Find More Posts by IatricSB
Old May 23, 2015, 10:11 PM
Find More Posts by Fatam
Joined May 2012
17 Posts
Im sure its here but can't find what spinner, and prop adaptor you all are running when using apc props? Also Im unsure of what prop you guys are using. Ive read about running an 11x12 but those are nitro props not Electic ones. I flew my CM today for the first time and got 3 packs through it. It flew great and clock it with a gps meter at a top speed of 101mph. My buddys Rare Bear hit 128mph stock. Ive gotta beat him. lol
Fatam is offline Find More Posts by Fatam
Old May 25, 2015, 01:09 AM
Find More Posts by Knight Owl
United States, OH
Joined Nov 2013
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatam View Post
Im sure its here but can't find what spinner, and prop adaptor you all are running when using apc props? Also Im unsure of what prop you guys are using. Ive read about running an 11x12 but those are nitro props not Electic ones. I flew my CM today for the first time and got 3 packs through it. It flew great and clock it with a gps meter at a top speed of 101mph. My buddys Rare Bear hit 128mph stock. Ive gotta beat him. lol
UPDATE: Just flew mine for the first time since installing the Tacon 10 with a 10x10 APC prop (and Hyperion spinner, which fit nice & looks nearly stock), and 4S battery. Wow, that was a thrill. I suspect that's the first time I've flown anything over 100 MPH, but unfortunately nobody at our field has a radar gun. Also, my Admiral 3600 40C packs were voicing their displeasure via my voltage alarm. Even for short bursts, it's evident I'll need a higher C rating if I wish to continue playing like this.

Fatam -- Which Rare Bear does your buddy have? I haven't heard of one that can go that fast in stock form.
Knight Owl is offline Find More Posts by Knight Owl
Old May 25, 2015, 01:20 PM
Find More Posts by Fatam
Joined May 2012
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Owl View Post
Fatam -- Which Rare Bear does your buddy have? I haven't heard of one that can go that fast in stock form.
He has the Horizon Hobby Rare Bear and hit 128mph bone stock. We use the dynamite gps meter to test the flights. I can tell you it was legit. What Im trying to find is what prop adaptor would work with the stock motor?
Fatam is offline Find More Posts by Fatam
Old May 25, 2015, 10:50 PM
Find More Posts by gooniac33
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,573 Posts
Quote:
He has the Horizon Hobby Rare Bear and hit 128mph bone stock. We use the dynamite gps meter to test the flights. I can tell you it was legit. What Im trying to find is what prop adaptor would work with the stock motor?
I never trust GPS. But the Rare bear is a good flying plane!! It kept up just fine in stock for with the Modified Voo Doo and Strega. Just imagine the Rare Bear with the Tacon Set up?
Old May 26, 2015, 05:49 PM
United States, OH
Joined Nov 2013
183 Posts
Quote:
That is good to know, and that Gooniac's observations confirm it. Usually when a mfr states something like "100+ MPH", it means that it will just barely achieve that metric out of the box. I've had outstanding experience with Horizon models, and put the Rare Bear on my wishlist. Now my interest has taken a leap.
Old Jun 02, 2015, 10:57 PM
United States, OH
Joined Nov 2013
183 Posts
Hey Gooniac. I know you have a lot of experience with the Tacon 10, so I'm sure you'll have an answer to my question. When I was playing around with eCalc today, I noticed that this motor is only rated for 375 watts, but we are feeding it MUCH more than that. eCalc even warns that this setup is “unrealistic and way out of limits!”, which I found humorous, yet somewhat concerning. So, just how robust is this motor on 4S with a 10x10 prop? Have you or any of your flying buddies fried one yet?
Old Jun 03, 2015, 12:29 AM
Find More Posts by gooniac33
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Owl View Post
Hey Gooniac. I know you have a lot of experience with the Tacon 10, so I'm sure you'll have an answer to my question. When I was playing around with eCalc today, I noticed that this motor is only rated for 375 watts, but we are feeding it MUCH more than that. eCalc even warns that this setup is “unrealistic and way out of limits!”, which I found humorous, yet somewhat concerning. So, just how robust is this motor on 4S with a 10x10 prop? Have you or any of your flying buddies fried one yet?
watts are volts times amps. I never go off of that part of the motors specs. I always look at the max amps that a motor can take and go from there. I also take into account the actual size of the motor and how much cooling it will get. This motor is over sized and there is a lot of metal there to help dissipate heat. I am also not the kind of person to fly around at full throttle for long periods of time either. With that being said, I have 2 of these motors running with the 10x10 prop and on 4s 50c 3300 packs. One is going on 3 years old and the other is 2 years old. Neither of them come down hot after a flight and neither one has ever given up on me in flight. Yes it is over what the specs say it can handle but they still perform really well!
Old Jun 03, 2015, 08:57 PM
United States, OH
Joined Nov 2013
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33 View Post
watts are volts times amps. I never go off of that part of the motors specs. I always look at the max amps that a motor can take and go from there. I also take into account the actual size of the motor and how much cooling it will get. This motor is over sized and there is a lot of metal there to help dissipate heat. I am also not the kind of person to fly around at full throttle for long periods of time either. With that being said, I have 2 of these motors running with the 10x10 prop and on 4s 50c 3300 packs. One is going on 3 years old and the other is 2 years old. Neither of them come down hot after a flight and neither one has ever given up on me in flight. Yes it is over what the specs say it can handle but they still perform really well!
That is a glowing testimonial, and that Tacon is quite a motor! Thanks for sharing your experience with it.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 06:52 PM
Find More Posts by RangerOne1975
Joined Feb 2013
8 Posts
Removed. Answered my own question!
RangerOne1975 is offline Find More Posts by RangerOne1975
Last edited by RangerOne1975; Jun 26, 2015 at 07:16 PM.
Old Jul 08, 2015, 08:10 AM
Find More Posts by josepy121380
United States, WI, Milw
Joined Jun 2015
21 Posts
My HS version is on the way. 2 new admiral 4s 3600 50c pro batteries and 11x12 prop. Gonna see what this thing can do.
josepy121380 is online now Find More Posts by josepy121380
Last edited by josepy121380; Jul 08, 2015 at 10:17 AM.
Old Jul 08, 2015, 02:05 PM
Find More Posts by josepy121380
United States, WI, Milw
Joined Jun 2015
21 Posts
Will a AS3X work good in this plane?
josepy121380 is online now Find More Posts by josepy121380