HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2008, 01:32 PM
Joined Aug 2006
52 Posts
Discussion
Converting TOY Nikko Car to NITRO

This car is a Nikko Dodge viper GTR-S

It has a 540SH motor in it, whats the best nitro motor to replace it? Don't bash me saying its not hobby grade, as I understand that, but I want to have a little fun away from helis and on the car side, without spending too much money. I am going to use my 2.4 Air radio on it, so I don't have to use the stock crap on their.
chriskim_95 is offline Find More Posts by chriskim_95
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2008, 08:21 PM
Love is like Pi: Irrational
USA, ND, Grand Forks
Joined Jan 2005
2,159 Posts
You endeavor probably won't end up too well.
It seems like you are pretty set on it though, so good luck on it.

You can try an O.S. .15 Nitro Star, I recently became a big fan of them.

Ron
ronmeister is offline Find More Posts by ronmeister
Old Oct 19, 2008, 03:30 AM
Joined Oct 2008
14 Posts
what are you planning to do? direct drive? because gears you have on that car not only won't fit but will get torn apart by a nitro engine. I would suggest that you mount a new transmission on the car along with a cheaper motor like an OS .12 or .15.... but what i would really suggest you do is just buy a gas rc car... i mean with the parts your going to have to buy to make it work... you could buy a cheap beginner which is about $200.
Ace.Nerd.07 is offline Find More Posts by Ace.Nerd.07
Old Oct 21, 2008, 07:48 PM
Joined Oct 2008
10 Posts
that sounds cool, man if you get it to work can you send me some pict's?
StevemacD is offline Find More Posts by StevemacD
Old Oct 26, 2008, 03:17 AM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,018 Posts
Your best bet would be to buy a nitro chassis and put the viper body on it... There are several problems converting a toy grade car to a hobby grade..

#1 Bearings, chances are it has none, and no way to add them... this means lots of slop in the wheels even when its new, and its just going to get worse as you drive it, especialy when you double or triple the speed with nitro power.

#2 Brakes... you will need to add some sort of braking system...

#3 gears... cheap gears made for a weak motor, wont last when you add nitro power.

#4 Steering.. even adding a hobby grade steering servo to the steering wont do much good, as there will still be lots of slop... its not so noticable at the 5-10Mph these things can do stock, but you WILL notice it when you speed it up.

#5 parts avalabilty. There is none unless you buy a spare car...

Basicaly, you are going to put a lot of money into a slow peice of crap to turn it into a fast peice of crap, then the first time you crash it, it will be toast, or if you dont crash it the gears will let go, or something else will break...

To make it halfway decent, you need to add a transmission, a whole new steering system, oil shocks, a braking system etc etc....

Trust me, you would be WAY better off just adding your viper body to something else.... buy a used nitro car... check ebay, I bet you can get something for under $100, which is probably less than it will cost you to convert this toy...
dacaur is online now Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Aug 12, 2013, 01:14 AM
Joined Aug 2013
2 Posts
if u could make it work that would be awsome but...

I have the same car its from radio shack and it was there hobby grade version for $199 I still have mine and all I did was upgrade the stock 540 brushed can motor with a modified can motor and better rims / tires and replaced the viper body with a subru wrx race body I think stock it was 20+ mph but with the upgrade it went 40+ mph and its def cheaper on the buget u can get a good modified motor for under $50 bucks or cheaper on ebay I already had my 2 modified can motor's on hand so it did not cost me a dime just a few minites of my time to pull out the old one and put the new one in and as long as u use the pinion gear from the stock motor u just removed to put on your modified motor your all set just put the new one in and screw it down and reconnect the wires and your ready to race again...p.s. will not hurt your stock electronics inside mine is still strong and fast as hell I did the upgrade back in 2001 and its 2013 so that's a long time with no problems ...... injoy and good luck with the project
rc.man is offline Find More Posts by rc.man
Old Aug 12, 2013, 01:51 AM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc.man View Post
I have the same car its from radio shack and it was there hobby grade version for $199 I still have mine and all I did was upgrade the stock 540 brushed can motor with a modified can motor and better rims / tires and replaced the viper body with a subru wrx race body I think stock it was 20+ mph but with the upgrade it went 40+ mph and its def cheaper on the buget u can get a good modified motor for under $50 bucks or cheaper on ebay I already had my 2 modified can motor's on hand so it did not cost me a dime just a few minites of my time to pull out the old one and put the new one in and as long as u use the pinion gear from the stock motor u just removed to put on your modified motor your all set just put the new one in and screw it down and reconnect the wires and your ready to race again...p.s. will not hurt your stock electronics inside mine is still strong and fast as hell I did the upgrade back in 2001 and its 2013 so that's a long time with no problems ...... injoy and good luck with the project
You have driven this car designed to go 20mph tops, at 40mph, with no parts support, for 12 years? Well done, you are a better driver than I am.... great story, except... yours is from radio shack, and the op's was from a big box or toy store... unlikley they are remotly similar.... so what exactly was the point of dragging out a five year old thread?
dacaur is online now Find More Posts by dacaur