HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:00 AM
NH Armored Assault R/C Club
Joined Jan 2013
188 Posts
Discussion
Weathering Help

Ok lets face it . I can add all the add on to the Tiger 1 I want and there are more to come but even after adding some damage its still missing something. I know weathering. I see many good looking weathering jobs. Is there an easy way to weather this Tiger 1.
Commandernh is offline Find More Posts by Commandernh
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:16 PM
towcester uk
Joined Dec 2010
218 Posts
here you go bud!!

http://www.scalemodelguide.com/categ...ng-weathering/
heavyg is offline Find More Posts by heavyg
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:20 PM
Joined Jan 2013
188 Posts
Thanks HeavyG
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:00 PM
Joined Feb 2013
38 Posts
I have just completed my first Heng Long Tiger. There are some pics on my earlier posts. I learned to weather it from watching lots of videos on YouTube.

Breaking it down into stages, I guess this is how I went about it;

1. Battle damage. This bit is both fun and a little scary. A hot knife to cut the side fenders into individual panels. A little heat and start bending the edges to create the effect of shell damage. Heat, moulding, scuffing, etc.

2. Dark shadows and rust. Adding shadows to edges and corners, etc. then rust on the exhausts and on hinges, handles, etc.

3. Then a light wash of grey over the model. Adding extra layers on edges and corners.

4. Camo pattern applied with a brush. In my case grey with white.

5. Light wash over the model in very thin acrylic. Then rubbing back with alcohol on cotton buds.

6. A few more dark features, little rust and oil spots. Then finally adding mud and weathering on the lower hull.

7. I've also just added a final touch of snow on the front too.

Hope this helps!

TS.
TheSeeka is offline Find More Posts by TheSeeka
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:21 PM
Joined Jan 2013
188 Posts
I had seen your tiger and it looks great. I dont mind playing around with this one as I have many more im working on. Thanks for the help.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:24 PM
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
80 Posts
here is a great tutorial on the use of pigments, you just need to seal them when you are finished
http://www.missing-lynx.com/rare_world/rw05.htm
FreakyDude is offline Find More Posts by FreakyDude