SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:13 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2 Posts
Discussion
Stabilization system for large scale helicopter

Hey guys,

I need your recommendations. I have a large scale (1:4), turbine powered EC120 replica - 2.3m rotor diameter, a length of 2.4m and a MTOW of 25kg ( video is here:
FORMART-Modellbau EC 120 Rc-Turbine Scale 1:4 (9 min 58 sec)
).
I am flying most of my helis without any stabilization system at all, but with this beauty I am more risk averse. Currently, a Captron HeliCommand Professional is fitted for mainly one reason: A panic button that saves the helicopter from crashing whenever I do something really stupid. My problem is that due to several reasons I do not trust the HeliCommand anymore and I now need a new autopilot.

The DJI Ace One is currently at the top of my list of favourites for the new system but I cannot find any information whether someone already flew it with a helicopter of similar size and, the most important thing, if its "GPS Attitude Mode" could act as such a panic mode. Do you have any experience that could help? Would you recommend another stablizier?

Thanks,
Nicolas
Korgan is offline Find More Posts by Korgan
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:31 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,466 Posts
I am biased as I am a Canuck, but the GPS system add-on to the Skookum 720 is the direction I would be going now. I have three 720's and the bail-out is excellent and the newest features like a hard deck, return to home, etc, make the system worth looking at. The GPS add-on should be out next month with one of the first ones in the GTA going into my new MD500 TD. I am sure others will pipe in with their favourites and give you a full choice of systems out there. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:28 PM
Singapore
Joined Jan 2004
1,830 Posts
I do not have those auto-pilot stabilization electronics experience...so you can ignore my saying.

I think put any electronics stabilization like Beastx's microbeast is enough to make your heli stable. if u want those with GPS or autostabilize, then skookuum sk720 also nice.

Based on the Malaysia's flag... I assume u from Malaysia...and with Malaysia's kind of hot, sunny weather, those infra red sensors used by those auto stibilzations might not work well.
Super_Hornet is offline Find More Posts by Super_Hornet
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:09 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
I am biased as I am a Canuck, but the GPS system add-on to the Skookum 720 is the direction I would be going now. I have three 720's and the bail-out is excellent and the newest features like a hard deck, return to home, etc, make the system worth looking at. The GPS add-on should be out next month with one of the first ones in the GTA going into my new MD500 TD. I am sure others will pipe in with their favourites and give you a full choice of systems out there. Take care.

Don
Gotta agree there. If you want something more basic, the BeastX is an option but so is the basic SK540 from Skookum.
rotoraddict is offline Find More Posts by rotoraddict
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:44 PM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korgan View Post
I am flying most of my helis without any stabilization system at all, but with this beauty I am more risk averse.
If you can fly without stabilisation, why not just trust yourself and your judgement?

Any system can fail, that including both electronic stabilisation and biological stabilisation (meaning: you....)

having said that, you will be just as pissed-off crashing by your own stupidity as you would when a technical or other faillure would be the cause.

So....
-if adding another system theoretically increases the possibility and statistic chance for technical faillureAND the possibility of operator faillure ,
-leaving it out having exactly zero effect on the possibility and statistic effect of you doing something stupid,

then it seems to me that selfconfidence combined with sufficient level of skill would be a perfect alternative for any commercially availlable stabilisation system, with the very nice, and completely free of charge side-effect that you get lots more joy out of every flight, knowing that you are doing it yourself....

Works for me....

Brgds, Bert
Brutus1967 is offline Find More Posts by Brutus1967
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:16 PM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
I did not know SK720 is turbine certified. I have been flying GPS in heli for two years; and in multi for 18 months. Depending on the number of years in GPS development, auto-loading is interesting to watch the first time.

DJI Naza H GPS Flight Test (1 min 19 sec)

Wookong Air Crane.mov (1 min 22 sec)
sidneyw is offline Find More Posts by sidneyw
Site Sponsor
Last edited by sidneyw; Jan 11, 2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:53 PM
Suspended Account
M$ Security
Joined Jun 2010
728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korgan View Post
My problem is that due to several reasons I do not trust the HeliCommand anymore and I now need a new autopilot.
what reasons ?
Mikarro is offline Find More Posts by Mikarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:28 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2002
862 Posts
DJI products is the best one so far.
wilerbee is offline Find More Posts by wilerbee
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:02 PM
Joined Dec 2007
844 Posts
I have talked to a fellow, at two heli events last summer, who had two big (H500 and EC145) well done Vario gasoline powered scale helis with multiblade heads. He reported that initially he had the initial Helicommand stabby systems but after a few incedences with them, he changed to Skookum systems and after a full year with them was very happy.

If they could handle the higher vibes of a large gasser, I would think they could easily do the job with a smooth turbine powered heli.
Cyclick is offline Find More Posts by Cyclick
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:02 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2002
862 Posts
Have a look at this. Peace of mind !

DJI system with TF model 800 seahawk (5 min 50 sec)
wilerbee is offline Find More Posts by wilerbee
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:13 AM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
Wilerbee, that place looks familiar ... oh, I remember now, I was there too.
sidneyw is offline Find More Posts by sidneyw
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:45 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilerbee View Post
Have a look at this. Peace of mind !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EMq6G8v5gQ
Really nice!
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:26 AM
Suspended Account
M$ Security
Joined Jun 2010
728 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1774340

Mikarro is offline Find More Posts by Mikarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:59 AM
Track clear , smoke on !
3 miles from AMA HQ Muncie, IN.
Joined Jan 2009
1,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikarro View Post
This unit is for multirotor copters not a helicopter , at least that is what the info in the link you posted states. Seems like you should have read it before you posted the link.
cap231ex is offline Find More Posts by cap231ex