HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:45 AM
Joined Nov 2012
208 Posts
Discussion
Mini CP....What DEVO should I get!!!??

Hi all

Since I am fairly new and have been flying a Double Horse FP 9116 I am about to upgrade.

From a few reviews on here I have been advised or steered towards the Mini CP as a next step into CP helis.

The reviews on this heli look great and seems like a tough little thing.

However as for DEVO transmitters I have NO idea.

Here is the thing, I like the RTF packages and after this heli prob will go to the Master CP.

So I dont mind having to get both helis in a RTF package.

Therefore for the Mini CP what DEVO should I get as a newbie considering I will also get another transmitter with the next heli I get?

Also will all DEVO work on the Phoenix flight sim?

Help lol

Thanks in advance!
jonnewbie is offline Find More Posts by jonnewbie
Last edited by jonnewbie; Nov 19, 2012 at 05:53 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:49 AM
Deviant
Joined Jul 2012
1,183 Posts
6S, 8S or 10.

Reason being http://www.deviationtx.com. 6S and 8S are already out and Devo 10 is in the works, very stable as of now, but not yet released.
sbstnp is offline Find More Posts by sbstnp
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:11 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,279 Posts
Any TX that supports telemetry. Devo8S and Devo10 seem like good choices. 12S is too many, 6S has no leg room. 8S has two extra channels for controlling gadgets (like a camera if you decide to move up to a bigger heli or quad). 10 has telemetry and is cheap, but no touchscreen.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:51 AM
Joined Oct 2012
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
6S has no leg room.
I don't really agree. Especially if you plan on getting another TX later, and you're willing to consider going to the Deviation software. With Deviation the 6s can become an 8 or even 12 channel transmitter, although you don't have a lot of inputs. If I knew I was going to get two I'd get a 6S for it's size to use indoors or when traveling, and an 8S or 10 to have a larger TX with more switches and/or pots.
Byrdwyngs is offline Find More Posts by Byrdwyngs
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:10 AM
Joined Nov 2012
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdwyngs View Post
I don't really agree. Especially if you plan on getting another TX later, and you're willing to consider going to the Deviation software. With Deviation the 6s can become an 8 or even 12 channel transmitter, although you don't have a lot of inputs. If I knew I was going to get two I'd get a 6S for it's size to use indoors or when traveling, and an 8S or 10 to have a larger TX with more switches and/or pots.
So should I be safe in assuming that the 7 and 7e is cheap for a reason?
jonnewbie is offline Find More Posts by jonnewbie
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:42 AM
Joined Oct 2012
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnewbie View Post
So should I be safe in assuming that the 7 and 7e is cheap for a reason?
They're both fairly decent transmitters actually considering that they are practically giving them away with the RTF packages, they're probably better than the transmitter you'd get with a Blade RTF package. But they do both have limitations.

The Devo 7 has a smaller limited screen and a different software interface than all the others and is sometimes called the "Devil 7" in reference to the difficulty in programming it. Unlike all the others it also requires you to buy a special cable for about $20 in order to upgrade the firmware. The Deviation developer has stated that he has no intentions of releasing Deviation for the 7 because of the screen limitations so you'd be stuck with the original difficult firmware.

The 7E has basically the same screen and firmware as the Devo 10 and will probably get Deviation eventually. But it apparently has cheaper gimbals than the rest (plastic sticks and no ball bearings) and it only has 2 switches which really limits what you can do with it. It does at least use a standard USB cable for firmware updates and the gimbals aren't too bad so if the budget is tight it might be a good choice for simple heli's.
Byrdwyngs is offline Find More Posts by Byrdwyngs
Last edited by Byrdwyngs; Nov 19, 2012 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Format for easier reading