SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:10 PM
Failed RC 10 step program.
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Nov 2006
63 Posts
Discussion
RVOSD gains settings for common FPV platforms

I tried this thread on the RVOSD forums, but there seem to be very few people using them.. so maybe here is the right place.

I figured it would be a good reference/resource for all the new(ish) FPV pilots to be able to have a thread to go to with known good settings for a given airframe. If nothing else, to have a good starting point for their own tweaking for their own particular bird.

So, anyone out there with a good solid setup (as far as FBW / RTH goes) mind sharing their gains settings for a Zephyr II, Radian, Twinstar, FPV Raptor, Skywalker etc?

I have RVOSD on a ZII, but known good settings for other RTH systems could be useful too for those out there still starting or lacking in time to do all the needed test / tweak flights.

I would post my own, but I'm a relative n00b and still need another 10 flights or so of systematic tweaking before it's dialed in.

To those willing to share their gains settings, please also note any major changes to the airframe such as non-stock COG, modified wings, addition of landing gear, etc

A few pepople with solid setups could help tons of those like me still poking around in the relative dark
bovick is offline Find More Posts by bovick
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:19 PM
Illinois, USA
Joined Aug 2009
968 Posts
Flown X8 and Skywalker with RVOSD. Stock settings work just fine. Setup your radio how you normally fly your plane, rates and subtrim........ Then run through the setup wizard in RVOSD and all should be pretty close.
vertcnc is offline Find More Posts by vertcnc
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:22 PM
Joined Nov 2006
63 Posts
I've heard stock works well with many setups. However I know for a fact that some setups, like my own ZII, simply do not. On stock settings, there are major pitch oscillations (so have to turn gain down on that), and it barely turns at all... still trying to figure out proper settings for that. Also, there are some interesting 'corner cases' that are better handled with tweaked settings.

Changing around things like heading limit / gains can really make the RTH work a lot nicer. Had it going all right on FPV raptor after a bunch of tweaks but didn't bother to note down settings before upgrading to 5.07 that wiped everything... didn't care at the time because I was going to stick it in a totally different airframe (ZII) anyway.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:33 PM
Illinois, USA
Joined Aug 2009
968 Posts
I am not sure on the ZII but from my experience if you set the proper travels and adjust the throw rates the way you normaly fly then run through the wizard it should be close. I have adjusted the max bank angle on the X8 to get it to turn a little quicker. But this is most likely do to the low rates I have setup in my radio. When you run the wizard In RVOSD it learns the max and min rates from your inputs and then sets up the RTH based on these movments. If the ZII is not a very stable of a platform from the begining then it will take some work to fine tune everything. I think most people fly with the base settings thats why you don't here much about changes people make.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:24 PM
Joined Nov 2006
63 Posts
Fair enough. Since I know I've personally had issues getting the ZII with RVOSD to behave well I'll keep this thread open and post my settings once I've got it setup up fairly solid. ZII is far from 'unstable' but it is also most certainly not flyable with FBW with RVOSD defaults. The oscillations due to over-correction on pitch, and very very poor turning time/radius are major issues that could cause a crash in themselves. I understand a lot of people use the base settings, and maybe I just expect a lot out of the RTh, but I really think the proper settings should get it to a point where the RTH will shine even in oddball conditions (which is when you need RTH the most). It was definitely almost plug and play in the raptor, so I guess it just depends on the platform.

How are you liking the X8? I've got the X5 sitting around that I haven't bothered to get going again after initially having issues with launching. Got a lot of heavy/large wing launching (solo) practice with the ZII though.. so maybe I should give it a shot again.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:41 PM
Illinois, USA
Joined Aug 2009
968 Posts
I do enjoy the X8. Lots of room to spread things out. I normally use a bungee to launch my wings, just a little safer for me, although I have hand launched it if there is enough wind. RVOSD flies it nice in all modes. I have set my radio on the ground while it circled overhead for 20 minutes. During windy and varing winds it really could use an air speed sensor. It doesn't really control altitude as well. But may need to adjust a little. You do have to remember to set neutrals to get the best performance. I haven't heard to much good about the x5, but peoples opinions vary greatly with there setup and flying experience. There has been quite bit of talk on the Rvosd forum on what some of the setting do. Maybe just hard to locate. Alex (elcheapo here) has been pretty forthcoming with info just have to be patient he doesn't hang out on the forums but visits quite frequently
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:52 PM
Illinois, USA
Joined Aug 2009
968 Posts
One thing I forgot about is vibrations. All IMU are effected by vibrations. This can really effect the way the RVOSD behaves in stabilized and RTH modes. Just a though for something to check. I have fabricated an isolation type mount for the RVOSD in my X8, similar to the one RangeVideo sells.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:04 PM
Joined Nov 2006
63 Posts
Yes, agree on the vibrations. My biggest challenge with RVOSD was getting the bars on the debug screen from hitting max. Ended up trying a lot of things including the recommended isolation mount, but the final (and working) solution that brought me down to 1/2 or less max on all throttle settings was: simply wrap RVOSD in memory foam, balance prop, and replace bearings on my motor. The last one was what finally got me totally smoothed out.. but was the hardest to figure out, as I thought I had everything perfect already but still had the debug screen showing too much vibration at certain throttle settings only. Live and learn.
Last edited by bovick; Sep 26, 2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 01:43 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,948 Posts
Hey guys. I have the RVOSD in my Zephyr II, and all the settings I grabbed from a friend work really well, except that the thing won't bank in RTH.

Funny thing is that on my friend's Zeph with exactly the same settings, his plane banks and turns tightly in RTH, but will hardly turn in FBW. Whereas mine banks great in FBW but stays flat as a pancake in RTH.

What setting have you guys changed to make the plane turn tighter in RTH mode?
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Old Nov 08, 2012, 03:21 AM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,308 Posts
I will be installing the RVOSD in a Twinstar very soon. I would love some advice, and I will post what I learn here. Not many Twinstar pilots out there anymore it seems. I wonder why? It's a great FPV platform.
iskess is offline Find More Posts by iskess
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:24 PM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,600 Posts
Start with the stock settings.
boopidoo is online now Find More Posts by boopidoo
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:52 PM
United States, FL, Marco Island
Joined Jan 2007
661 Posts
tweeked up the roll settings some increased by 3-5 pts each time.
Here are some Alex tips.
picard10th is online now Find More Posts by picard10th
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:37 PM
Joined Nov 2006
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gree View Post
Hey guys. I have the RVOSD in my Zephyr II, and all the settings I grabbed from a friend work really well, except that the thing won't bank in RTH.

Funny thing is that on my friend's Zeph with exactly the same settings, his plane banks and turns tightly in RTH, but will hardly turn in FBW. Whereas mine banks great in FBW but stays flat as a pancake in RTH.

What setting have you guys changed to make the plane turn tighter in RTH mode?
I believe it's just tweaking the roll stabilization + max roll angle settings. But I've also got a similar situation in that although it flies nicely now on both RTH and FBW, its handling is more than just "tame"... almost "lame" on either of these modes, so I am now playing around with the related derivative gains settings to see if I can get a little more repressiveness out of the system. Some luck on last flight, but still needs more work ...but rarely get a chance to fly now
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:38 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,948 Posts
Tanks for the info. I'll give it a try, although I have been reading that the heading gain setting might be the one to tweak first...
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:51 AM
Great Britain
Joined Dec 2008
1,675 Posts
rvosd in zep2, rth from 5km and circling above, nothing major changed from stock settings

Testing new ground station, new video gear and RTH from RVOSD (3 min 42 sec)
MrBen. is offline Find More Posts by MrBen.