SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 29, 2012, 09:17 PM
Ankeny, IA
Joined May 2010
24 Posts
Question
best CA Glue?

I'm tired of my CA glue bottles always having crappy tops that never seal up the bottle and are always hard to get off. I buy mine at the local hobby shop, but I'm wondering what others are using that don't have this problem. Any of them that screw down and are easy to keep sealed?

I always see ads in the magazines for certain 'manufacturers', and some say they have propriety CA glue.

Anyone have a favorite that they order?
riley71198 is offline Find More Posts by riley71198
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2012, 12:10 AM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,250 Posts
I prefer "Bob Smith Industries" CA's. They're available here in Cali at alot of hobby-shops with the hobby-shop name label on them. Several sizes, and types. As for tips.. they sell extras too.. the caps on this brand of CA seems to actually "snap" shut. As with most glues too, wipe that tip when you're done with a segment, that goes a long ways to keeping the bottle-tip easy to use.

Being a California company I'm not sure if its available in other area hobby-shops.. but a Google search would probably give some info..and I have seen the company advertised in national magazines for mail-order.. This glue seems to rival every other CA brand I've tried.. and I'm sure they're making glue and other companys are simply putting thier name to it.. but I've tried Zap(Pacer product), Jet(goldberg product), Sig, GreatPlanes, and several others over the years.. I do usually buy a new bottle cap with every bottle.. it doesn't hurt..and they're very cheap. ... good luck.
DGrant is online now Find More Posts by DGrant
Last edited by DGrant; Jun 30, 2012 at 12:15 AM.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 12:20 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,285 Posts
I buy Smith's 8 ounce bottles and use diabetic syringes to draw it out and apply it: drug stores sell 10 packs of the syringes for about $2.00, no script needed.
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Jun 30, 2012, 12:49 PM
Airliner Builder
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Feb 2010
1,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGrant View Post
I prefer "Bob Smith Industries" CA's. They're available here in Cali at alot of hobby-shops with the hobby-shop name label on them. Several sizes, and types. As for tips.. they sell extras too.. the caps on this brand of CA seems to actually "snap" shut. As with most glues too, wipe that tip when you're done with a segment, that goes a long ways to keeping the bottle-tip easy to use.

Being a California company I'm not sure if its available in other area hobby-shops.. but a Google search would probably give some info..and I have seen the company advertised in national magazines for mail-order.. This glue seems to rival every other CA brand I've tried.. and I'm sure they're making glue and other companys are simply putting thier name to it.. but I've tried Zap(Pacer product), Jet(goldberg product), Sig, GreatPlanes, and several others over the years.. I do usually buy a new bottle cap with every bottle.. it doesn't hurt..and they're very cheap. ... good luck.
Agreed. Also, I have found Bob Smith CA in about every hobby store I have visited around the country - even Hobbyking sells their CA I believe.
WAGliderGuy is offline Find More Posts by WAGliderGuy
Old Jul 01, 2012, 11:55 PM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,817 Posts
I buy the HobbyKing brand CA and really like it. The bottle have the screw on top with the pin down the middle similar to Mercury adhesives that keeps the nozzle open. I saw my old bottles and nozzles and keep clean nozzles handy..... when they get junk all over them on the outside, I just throw the nozzle and cap in a jar of acetone I keep on the bench and put on a clean nozzle.

I've also seen some folks use those tiny little push on applicator tips and they say to just leave them open and they don't clog. On the off chance they do, they just snip off about a 32nd... I haven't tried that, but it's worth a shot I guess.
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Jul 02, 2012, 12:05 AM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,138 Posts
I have a sneaking suspicion that the hobbyking CA is in fact BSI CA. The labels look very similar...
Curare is online now Find More Posts by Curare
Old Jul 02, 2012, 12:10 AM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,817 Posts
I think you're talking about a different one they sell and you're probably right. The only label on the one I buy is a barcode with item number: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Medium_b_.html
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Jul 02, 2012, 12:23 AM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,884 Posts
I've written this here before and here it is again. There is an EASY cure for hardened CA glue bottles and small applicator tips.

1. Moisture is the catalyst that sets off the CA hardening. Simply put your open CA bottles in an empty and clean jelly jar. Also put into that jelly jar some silica gel (the little packets that come in various food and other packages to keep things crisp) and then close the jar. The silica gel absorbs the moisture in the air inside the jar. I have CA bottles sitting on my workbench that have lasted for years by doing this! Also, you can by silica gel packets online. Just search "silica gel". Its dirt cheap.

2. For a great applicator tip to use on CA bottles with thin CA, get a couple of hypodermic syringe needles from you doctor. The needles pop off the syringe and the needle base fits the top of a CA bottle perfectly. Cut the sharp end off with a Dremel abrasive wheel though. The needle tip will clog after it sits for a while. No problem. Just hold the needle tip above the flame from a butane cigarette lighter for a second and the needle tip opens right up!

Planeman
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman
Old Jul 02, 2012, 12:28 AM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsPop View Post
I think you're talking about a different one they sell and you're probably right. The only label on the one I buy is a barcode with item number: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Medium_b_.html
I was referring to this one.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...oam_Safe_.html

now doesn't it look like this?

Old Jul 02, 2012, 12:45 AM
Crossville, TN
Joined Dec 2004
2,907 Posts
I've had good results with the 'MERCURY' brand. They have a money back guarantee.
Art Schmitz is offline Find More Posts by Art Schmitz
Old Jul 02, 2012, 01:09 AM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,138 Posts
I've used the mercury foam safe stuff. I'd struggle to tell it apart from ZAP odorless though.

These days I just use ZAP because it's readily available. I buy little ones often.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 10:18 AM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,521 Posts
My $0.02. ZAP seems to perform the best for me. Cures properly and lasts forever. Bob Smith is a close 2nd, and is what I go for when I can't get Zap. I tried Mercury, and it is OK. The pin in the cap is a neat idea on paper, but in practice, it has failed on me with the 3 bottles I have tried. The glue is on par with the Bob Smith stuff, but not as good as Zap.

I stay away from Great Pains & Hobbico glue, and will get nothing if they are the only choices. They must get stuff that is rejected by everyone else, then let it sit in a warehouse for a year or two.....

As planeman does in post #8, I've been storing my CA in a sealed tub of silica gell for years now. Before doing this my Zap would almost never cure in the bottle or clog, but other brands did.. Now NONE of my CA does.... (hint: works well for Gorilla glue too)
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Jul 02, 2012, 10:25 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curare View Post
I was referring to this one.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...oam_Safe_.html

now doesn't it look like this?

Particularly when the HobbyKing bottles have: "Distributed by BSI Atascadero CA" on the back...

And not only the gold ca is BSI, so is the pink and thin blue rubber strengthened ones. I am very happy with them.
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Jul 02, 2012, 05:26 PM
fix-n-fly
Allen, TX
Joined Jun 2004
41 Posts
I've used Bob Smith CA before and was not happy when I brought it home from the hobby shop and couldn't get it to glue two pieces of balsa together. This was a brand new bottle I bought from a hobbyshop with the hobbyshop's name imprinted on the bottle. I prefer Carl Goldberg Super Jet if available or Zapp in the green or red bottle. Super Jet can be used for lite ply, balsa, or most anything. I even used it to re-attach my inside rear view mirror to the windshield and it held for a year and a half.
fix-n-fly is offline Find More Posts by fix-n-fly
Old Jul 02, 2012, 05:29 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2 Posts
One of the guys from my LHS gave me a great tip about CA recently. Don't put the cap on. Ever. When you are done for the day just leave it upright. If it gets clogged use a matching diameter of music wire to clear the nozzle. I have tried it, and it is awesome. I have used up about 4 each of thick and thin and only used the music wire once or twice. Usually I can use the whole bottle without clogging. It seamed strange at first not to cap the bottles, but it works great! I throw the cap out with the packaging now.
dhmclean is offline Find More Posts by dhmclean