HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 04, 2012, 02:55 PM
Joined May 2010
255 Posts
hello guys,

i have a question for those of u who fly there multirotor with phoenix ice lite esc. i have bought them for my octocopter, but with programming them with the transmitter, 2 of them where fried. on both of the fried esc's 1 of the fets where burnt. i tested with the dealer today, he told my that the problem had to do something with doing the right throttle calibration. hereby my question. how have you guys, who are flying with these esc's, calibrated and setup the esc's?? whe are going to use them with a dji wookong.

thanks in advance, hope to get answers soon so that our first testflite would maybe be this weekend.

greetings, vincent
vinnygogo is offline Find More Posts by vinnygogo
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2012, 05:05 PM
Trenton, NJ
Joined May 2008
868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintstone View Post
Tom, thanks for all the information. I am the Heli guy at Castle and every department has been busy working on new updates... many users don't realize Castle link updates support all of the Castle products... That is not to say every castle link release changes every castle product but there is quite a bit of testing that goes on behind the scenes before a Beta is ever released. The engineers have been working with different Beta groups and yes they have been reading this thread... The Beta group has a small number of testers compared to the user base here on the forum but they are following the testing hear as well... With the positive test results , and the time needed to elapse for the Beta testers to continue to test... the engineers are probably sitting back waiting for the user base to continue testing and posting results as the update appears to be working well and seems to be very stable from what I can see....

Thanks for all the test results and thanks for your loyalty...
Hello Clint,

Thanks for your response in this thread. It is nice to know that someone at CC is actually listening to us and cares enough to post a response once in a while and give us some updated information!

Regards,
Tom
tkeeg is offline Find More Posts by tkeeg
Old Apr 04, 2012, 05:14 PM
Trenton, NJ
Joined May 2008
868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnygogo View Post
hello guys,

i have a question for those of u who fly there multirotor with phoenix ice lite esc. i have bought them for my octocopter, but with programming them with the transmitter, 2 of them where fried. on both of the fried esc's 1 of the fets where burnt. i tested with the dealer today, he told my that the problem had to do something with doing the right throttle calibration. hereby my question. how have you guys, who are flying with these esc's, calibrated and setup the esc's?? whe are going to use them with a dji wookong.

thanks in advance, hope to get answers soon so that our first testflite would maybe be this weekend.

greetings, vincent
Hello Vincent,

I am currently using the Phoenix 25amp ESC's in my DJI WooKong-M controlled quadcopter and am happy with the initial results so far.

I would highly suggest that you buy the Castle Link and use that device to update & program your CC ESC's. Trying to do it with the transmitter is a pain in the ass, whereas with the Castle Link it is very easy and everything is explained to you at each step making it nearly impossible to make a mistake.

If you don't know, the Castle Link is a small device that plugs into your computer at one end and into your ESC at the other. You download the free program from CC and use that program to update & program your ESC's. It couldn't be easier!

If I remember correctly I think that the Castle Link cost around $20.00 or so in American money.

Good luck,
Tom
Last edited by tkeeg; Apr 04, 2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 01:37 AM
Joined May 2010
255 Posts
hello tom,

thanks for your response. i have a castlelink, and programmed and updated the firmware with it. but how did you do the throttle calibration on each esc?

greetz vincent
Old Apr 05, 2012, 01:44 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
I'd imagine same way as any other esc - throttle stick up, power up, beep, throttle back down, power down.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 05, 2012, 03:03 AM
Joined May 2010
255 Posts
that is what i thought too, but in de software it says different, that i need to adjust my epa's in the transmitter until it beeps. but that aint going to work with wookong i think... how did you do this tkeeg?
Old Apr 05, 2012, 08:28 AM
Trenton, NJ
Joined May 2008
868 Posts
Quote:
that is what i thought too, but in de software it says different, that i need to adjust my epa's in the transmitter until it beeps. but that aint going to work with wookong i think... how did you do this tkeeg?
Hi Vincent,

First off do not use the WK-M system when doing the throttle calibration.

#1. Turn on your transmitter and set the endpoint of both the high side AND the low side of the throttle channel to about 50.

#2. Once this is done, leave the transmitter turned on with the throttle at full. (The top endpoint should now show 50.)

#3. Hook your ESC's directly to the throttle output from your receiver and power up both your receiver and the ESC. If I remember correctly, you will hear some tones as the ESC powers up.

#4. At this point slowly adjust the endpoint setting of the high throttle setting upward until you hear an activation beep(s). On mine this beep sounded at about 96 and I added a few extra clicks (up to about 100) to be on the safe side.

#5. Side the throttle control down stick down to the lowest level. If I remember correctly, you may hear a quick set of tones as you do this, just ignore them and slowly adjust the endpoint setting of the low throttle setting upward until you hear an activation beep(s). On mine this beep sounded at about 118 and I added a few extra clicks (up to about 122) to be on the safe side.

#6. You are done with ESC throttle calibration and your ESC should now work in conjunction with your throttle stick.

Tom
Old Apr 05, 2012, 09:13 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
I'd imagine same way as any other esc - throttle stick up, power up, beep, throttle back down, power down.
NO itís totally different with CC ESCís. All ESCís are calibrated at the factory and all you have to do is calibrate your transmitter to the ESC. Just do it for one ESC and the others are all the same.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Apr 05, 2012, 10:12 AM
Joined May 2010
255 Posts
hello tkeeg,

thanks for your answer. but what i dont understand. the wookong outputs 100% right? en with the stick calibration in the wookong, you learn it the endpoints of your transmitter right? so the there would be no need to program the esc with the transmitter or am i mistaken?
Old Apr 05, 2012, 10:28 AM
Trenton, NJ
Joined May 2008
868 Posts
Quote:
hello tkeeg,

thanks for your answer. but what i dont understand. the wookong outputs 100% right? en with the stick calibration in the wookong, you learn it the endpoints of your transmitter right? so the there would be no need to program the esc with the transmitter or am i mistaken?
Vincent,

I'm not sure that I understand your question. I think that you are asking about the difference in the stick calibration on the WK-M Assistant as compared to the ESC calibration with the transmitter? If so, they are totally different. Once you have completed the ESC calibration for your transmitter as I described earlier, then you can plug everything into the WK-M system and do the calibration of the sticks in the WK-M Assistant.

I hope this answers your question. This is how I did it and so far, it is working perfectly for me.

Tom
Old Apr 05, 2012, 10:48 AM
Joined May 2010
255 Posts
hello tom,

i understand what u are saying, and i totally understand the difference between the esc and wookong assistant calibration. wat my question is:

you say that you have to do the throttle calibration in the transmitter. you set the epa's to 50 %, en then scrol them up and down till it beeps. you ended with epa's of 100up and 122 down. so your minimum output, when connected to the receiver, is 122%. but the wookong wil just out 100% when you connect the esc to the wkm right? and because of the throttle calibration in the wkm assistant, if you leave the epa at 122 in the transmitter, the wookong wil still see 122 as 100 %. so therefore, i think esc calibration is worthless.

am i right or am i mistaken?? hope you understand
Old Apr 05, 2012, 01:15 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,802 Posts
Quote:
hello tkeeg,

You have it backwards. CC calibrates the ESCís at the factory and you canít change that. Itís the opposite of Chinese ESCís. You have to calibrate both your transmitter and controller board to match the ESC. I donít have that brand but most boards use the endpoints that are programmed into the transmitter.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Apr 05, 2012, 01:51 PM
Joined May 2010
255 Posts
Ok thanks rcman. The reason why i think the wookong wont output 120 or whatever, is because when i set the epa s on the tilt of the gimbal from 100 to 150% the travel of the tilt wont expand. Therefore, i think this also goes for the other channels. Correct me if i am wrong?!

So basicly, what you guys say is set the epas using one esc on the receiver, then connect them alle tothe wookong? Two questions:

1: whats the sequence. Firt esc calibration then stick calibration in wkm assistant, or firt wkm assistant calibration and then esc calibration?
2: the esc calibration only needs to be done with one esc then right?

Thanks in advance guys! Realy apriciate your help!
Old Apr 05, 2012, 02:27 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,072 Posts
the tilt has a max angle built into it inside the WKM brain so you are corrected

steve

Quote:
Ok thanks rcman. The reason why i think the wookong wont output 120 or whatever, is because when i set the epa s on the tilt of the gimbal from 100 to 150% the travel of the tilt wont expand. Therefore, i think this also goes for the other channels. Correct me if i am wrong?!

So basicly, what you guys say is set the epas using one esc on the receiver, then connect them alle tothe wookong? Two questions:

1: whats the sequence. Firt esc calibration then stick calibration in wkm assistant, or firt wkm assistant calibration and then esc calibration?
2: the esc calibration only needs to be done with one esc then right?

Thanks in advance guys! Realy apriciate your help!
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Apr 05, 2012, 02:30 PM
Joined May 2010
255 Posts
Yeah and its a shame that the mn and max of the gimbal cant be set to 1500 instead of 1000 but wil this maximum also go for the yhrottle output?