HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2013, 01:52 PM
Cut it twice, still too short
Bay City, MI
Joined Oct 2007
647 Posts
Just an update. Although not as much as I would like, I've got about a dozen flights on the Jungmeister to date. Frank is absolutely right, this is the sweetest flying model I've ever flown. Landings are getting better, the last four or five were all wheels down, taxi home, which is a lot more fun than walking out to flip it back over . Take-offs are simple and a thing of beauty, the tail comes up almost immediately and when I feel she's ready just a touch of up elevator followed by a very graceful scale like climb out, or full power into an immediate aileron roll. Possibly the best stall turns I've ever seen, and that's with ME at the sticks! Love it, love it, love it! Thank you Frank! Maybe you should draw up some plans for all the mods you made on the original and market 'em .

Doug
dglo is offline Find More Posts by dglo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2013, 10:45 AM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,442 Posts
Glad to hear the airplane is living up to all the hype that I gave it! The stall turns are awesome with this airplane, aren't they? That big rudder just pivots the model around so nicely. Here I am preaching to the converted though! I bought some new batteries a month ago and they have supercharged the performance quite a bit. Still running 3s, but now using 5500mah 35C packs, and they seem to really hold the voltage. As far as plans go, I think they would be too close to the original design to call them my own. I think I'll take her out flying again tomorrow....
vonJaerschky is offline Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Jul 14, 2013, 06:51 AM
Bay City, MI
Joined Oct 2007
647 Posts
Yeah, that whole copyright thing. I'm headed back to the field in about 20 minutes. Maybe we'll be flying together! Albeit a couple thousand miles apart
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:53 AM
Bay City, MI
Joined Oct 2007
647 Posts
Hello again! I have a problem with the Buecker I could use some help with. I've been flying her quite a bit this summer and am still in love with this plane. I knew from the original bench testing that the 70 amp scorpion esc was real close to it's limits. Three times this year, I mysteriouslly lost power, throttling down to idle reset everything and I was able to keep flying. I assumed it was just a temporary spike in amp draw since it seems to happen when going vertical. I recently had to pull the cowl off for some minor repairs due to a close encounter with the chain link fence at our field, and noticed that the black rubber around the esc heat sink has shrunk up and pulled away from the heat sink, obviously from getting too hot. There should be plenty of air flowing through the cowl, so I need to change something. The obvious solution is to buy a 100 amp esc, but does anyone think I can prop down a little and be OK? I've been running a Xoar 15x8 and it works well, plenty of power. Thanks for any advice you can offer, I want to get this fixed ASAP before the season ends!

Doug
Old Oct 10, 2013, 11:18 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,757 Posts
First, do you have a watt meter and have you measured your current draw on the bench? Sounds like you have so you know the answer

So, from your description it does sound like you are drawing too much power from the ESC. And, yes, the solution is to prop it down. Lower in pitch or lower in dia or both depending on how close to the limit you are.

FYI, if you continue to fly it as is you will probably lose your plane. BTDT

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Oct 10, 2013, 01:17 PM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,480 Posts
Sounds to me like you have plenty of power in hand so could easily reduce the prop diameter an inch at least.

As it doesn't seem a good idea to leave the existing prop around in case you need to go back to it I suggest taking a half inch off each blade for a start - rebalancing of course - then give it another try.

At least the change won't cost you anything and might save the model!
eye4wings is offline Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Oct 11, 2013, 09:22 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,490 Posts
With that enormous air inlet in the front, how much exhaust area do you have. A not uncommon problem is to pack air into the cowl, and not have enough outlet to allow air "flow", and thereby cause overheating.

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Oct 13, 2013, 10:33 AM
Bay City, MI
Joined Oct 2007
647 Posts
Thanks for the input. The cowl is open all the way around at the back, so plenty of airflow. I've pretty much decided that I like the power level the way it is and don't want to give it up. So I need to bite the bullet and buy a bigger esc. The choices out there are a bit mind boggling so any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm thinking around 100 amps, but only run a 4s lipo so don't need a big voltage unit, and also have a sportbec installed so no worries there. I'd like a good quality esc, but definitely under 100 bucks. Thanks for the help.

Doug
Old Oct 13, 2013, 04:09 PM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,480 Posts
Good quality is hard to define Doug... I have had a couple of under 20 100A ESCs that worked fine so that's good enough quality to me.

Perhaps you mean 'big name'? in which case I can't advise as I've only once bought one - a Jeti that was no better and no worse than a lot of far cheaper jobs that are reputed to be junk by those who like to spend more on their gear.

My choice would always be for a cheap job - on the basis that I could easily replace it and still not have spent half what I could have...

Your money - your choice!
I'll be interested to see what you go for.
eye4wings is offline Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Oct 14, 2013, 07:57 PM
Bay City, MI
Joined Oct 2007
647 Posts
Just ordered a Skypower 100 amp esc with 6amp switching bec from HeadsupRC for 52 dollars shipped. And it comes with a Deans conn on the battery end and bullet connectors on the motor end! Awesome! Just plug and play! I think I'll try the built in sbec so I can leave the sportbec wired to the 70 amp scorpion esc I'm replacing. Hope it works well. Thanks for the advice all.

Doug