SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Yesterday, 06:29 PM
You only live once - fly CRAZY
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Nov 2011
48 Posts
Hey everyone.
Recently got a Blade 450X with a Tarot FBL head and the ZYX-S.
Took some time to get everything working correctly but having one strange issue I would like to figure out before the maiden.
When I power up the heli I get no servo response from the pitch or aileron servo. If I simply unplug and plug them back in while everything is on, then they respond and work great.
Hard to search the huge forum for a similar issue so thought I would ask.

Appreciate the help!
CRAZY_FLYR is offline Find More Posts by CRAZY_FLYR
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 07:35 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,916 Posts
Servo initialization was a know issue that was found just before Tarot moved on to the S2. I still get it intermittently with the ZYX (and the VBar), so pre-flight checking is very important.

Try a capacitor on the BEC output first, but if that fails, then try firmware v4.00, v4.01 and v4.02, and see if any solve the problem. Unfortunately only the unofficial ZYX-S v4.02 firmware fixes the pitch up issue, that some had.

Changing to different servos is the only other option, as it's the servo's protection that is being triggered, by the code that ensures some ESC's arm.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Yesterday, 08:04 PM
Joined Nov 2011
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
Servo initialization was a know issue that was found just before Tarot moved on to the S2. I still get it intermittently with the ZYX (and the VBar), so pre-flight checking is very important.

Try a capacitor on the BEC output first, but if that fails, then try firmware v4.00, v4.01 and v4.02, and see if any solve the problem. Unfortunately only the unofficial ZYX-S v4.02 firmware fixes the pitch up issue, that some had.

Changing to different servos is the only other option, as it's the servo's protection that is being triggered, by the code that ensures some ESC's arm.
Really appreciate it and at least I know it was a known issue and not me.
Capacitor on the BEC output? Can you elaborate where this is and if I can use a servo lead type capacitor that goes into my receiver. I use those a lot to avoid brown outs in my planes but just getting into heli's and having to learn a lot more than expected.

Also if nothing I try corrects this, is it a problem or concern having to initialize them before every flight?
Old Yesterday, 08:58 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,916 Posts
Yes the capacitor that plugs into a receiver servo port, usually called a voltage protection capacitor. Fitted close to where the servos plug in, is the best.
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dproduct=16223

I've never had a problem after reinitializing with another power up.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM
Joined Nov 2011
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
Yes the capacitor that plugs into a receiver servo port, usually called a voltage protection capacitor. Fitted close to where the servos plug in, is the best.
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dproduct=16223

I've never had a problem after reinitializing with another power up.
Those are exactly what I use on my planes. I will give it a try tomorrow and report back.
Thanks!