SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 01, 2010, 09:12 AM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,878 Posts
I figure if the heli has a performance envelope similar to a real one...it'll look like one in flight. The 'flat spot' is a good idea, I have something similar on my 450 UH1 with a 45-47.5-50-70-100 pitch curve. Mostly to get some stick resolution as it is turning 1600 rpm (using cut down 500 blades) and flys with high pitch. But I'll tell ya, that one has some smoooooth stick response. I'm thinking it is the blades that weigh around 2x of your standard 450 blade helping out also.

On the 500, it is also turning real slow...1800 rpm (with optional 1950rpm for added stability for windy conditions). To gain some stability out of the 'flybar gyro' as it also is slowed down from 3D land, I have some KBDD .30-.50 flybar paddles which weigh about 2x from the typical T500 part. Then I put a package of 4 Dubro wheel collars which fit the flybar for even more weight. (The T500 uses flybar paddles that weigh the same as some T450 parts...so there has to be something that needs to be done here beyond cranking up the headspeed to T450 levels IMO considering the size and weight of the rotor disk on the 500). This gives good stability with the slow headspeeds, and the slow headspeed allows a more scale response in flight. I figure if it cant fly like a hummingbird...it probably wont look like one

An example of full collective on this heli to give an idea what sort of performance envelope it has:

Max collective (0 min 6 sec)

Edit: Just remembered...it also helps to fly in windless conditions when filming to show off your heli
SidewaysLS4 is offline Find More Posts by SidewaysLS4
Last edited by SidewaysLS4; Aug 01, 2010 at 09:19 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2010, 02:09 PM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
I haven't gone to quite such lengths as that. I've made the heli as stable as it can be without modification, and then tried to make my flying smooth. I still want to be able to fly loops rolls and flips, so still need good stick response, with a good compromise for smooth hovering too. You'll see my heli at full collective briefly at the end of this video!

RC Westland Lynx T-rex 450 (1 min 22 sec)
davylah is offline Find More Posts by davylah
Old Aug 01, 2010, 02:16 PM
3D and Scale RC Heli Pilot
Monroe, WA
Joined Jan 2007
836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davylah View Post
I haven't gone to quite such lengths as that. I've made the heli as stable as it can be without modification, and then tried to make my flying smooth. I still want to be able to fly loops rolls and flips, so still need good stick response, with a good compromise for smooth hovering too. You'll see my heli at full collective briefly at the end of this video!
Easy enough to do!
Assign scale dual rates/expo and pitch curves to idle up 1
Assign aerobatic dual rates/expo and pitch curves to idle up 2
BlackTitanium is offline Find More Posts by BlackTitanium
Old Aug 01, 2010, 03:16 PM
MB-Commander
Joined Feb 2008
2,478 Posts
Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdO8z5e0H9A
You don't need insane stick response to do FF loops and rolls. Stationary flips are another story and I would be careful when attempting those on a fuselage unless you're really good at doing them on various sizes of pod/boom helicopter.

G.
Minibichus is offline Find More Posts by Minibichus
Old Aug 02, 2010, 11:32 AM
Joined Aug 2009
125 Posts
This morning I did some more test flights and took some pictures of emergency helipad of the Interlagos Speedway
Point A the helipad is used by Speedway Point B is emergency was where I took the pictures http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...=UTF8&t=h&z=17
Benite's 500 sized MD500D (3 min 42 sec)
Benites is offline Find More Posts by Benites
Last edited by Benites; Aug 02, 2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old Aug 02, 2010, 12:18 PM
2013 GRAND SPORT CORVETTE
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,201 Posts
Great heli in my favorite F1 team livery. Wish their 2010 cars were doing as well as your heli.

Cheers - Boyd
Hoverup is offline Find More Posts by Hoverup
Old Aug 02, 2010, 02:33 PM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
You don't need insane stick response to do FF loops and rolls. Stationary flips are another story and I would be careful when attempting those on a fuselage unless you're really good at doing them on various sizes of pod/boom helicopter.

G.
By 'flip' this is what I meant. What problems would you be concerned about? I was just going to go for it!!!

Lynx Backflip (0 min 18 sec)
Old Aug 02, 2010, 02:44 PM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
I want to be able to fly my Lynx like this!

Blue Eagle Westland Lynx @ Red Bull Air Race, London, Jul 07 (5 min 10 sec)
Old Aug 02, 2010, 04:18 PM
2013 GRAND SPORT CORVETTE
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,201 Posts
That will be cool!! I noticed that the coning of the main rotor blades did not change when the Lynx was inverted.
Hoverup is offline Find More Posts by Hoverup
Old Aug 02, 2010, 04:26 PM
Joined Aug 2009
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoverup View Post
Great heli in my favorite F1 team livery. Wish their 2010 cars were doing as well as your heli.

Cheers - Boyd
Thanks Hoverup...
Benites is offline Find More Posts by Benites
Old Aug 02, 2010, 11:36 PM
MB-Commander
Joined Feb 2008
2,478 Posts
What the video shows is actually quite doable, I'd say go for it, you just need some altitude and some orientation knowledge but beware, fuses tend to drop like rocks when the blades aren't holding them up.

Stationary flip is when the heli flips around and stays level without losing any altitude, obviously not doable by real helis since they have negligible negative pitch on the rotor.

Good luck man, and good job on the heli, looks great!

G.
Old Aug 02, 2010, 11:37 PM
MB-Commander
Joined Feb 2008
2,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoverup View Post

Cheers - Boyd
Yes, indeed, mwahaha... the Red Bulls just trumped the living heck out of everybody... hehehe... Forza Ferrari and Forza Alonso!

G.
Old Aug 03, 2010, 02:02 PM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
That will be cool!! I noticed that the coning of the main rotor blades did not change when the Lynx was inverted.
They actually appear to have a slight dihedral even when the head is stopped, and no droop whatsoever! It's such an awesome machine, all of those aerobatics in standard spec, and STILL the fastest helicopter ever built.
Old Aug 03, 2010, 03:18 PM
MB-Commander
Joined Feb 2008
2,478 Posts
Quote:
They actually appear to have a slight dihedral even when the head is stopped, and no droop whatsoever! It's such an awesome machine, all of those aerobatics in standard spec, and STILL the fastest helicopter ever built.
Even faster than the KA-50? I thought it was fast, but not the fastest! Thats nice!

G.
Old Aug 03, 2010, 04:12 PM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
Even faster than the KA-50? I thought it was fast, but not the fastest! Thats nice!

G.
Yes, according to Wikipedia, the KA-50 can only do 242mph (in a dive) whereas the record breaking Lynx G-LYNX achieved 249.1mph. Obviously the standard military Lynx is not quite as fast. The engines in G-LYNX were tweaked and ran water methanol injection, also all the panel gaps were taped up and windscreen wipers/steps/aerials etc were removed.