Old Jan 02, 2014, 02:34 PM
Find More Posts by dunc_201
Joined Dec 2013
23 Posts
Discussion
DJI Naza v2 or 3DR Pixhawk

the questions in the title really, i have purchased a tarot 650 frame as a project to build a quad capable of some aerial photography with my gopro so I am needing to have OSD and FPV capability which i think both of these have? its just the matter of deciding which one to get, the DJI seems a lot more 'user friendly' and the Pixhawk is very early in its stages, does anyone have any of these or some advice on which one i should sway towards?

thanks for your help in advance!

duncan
dunc_201 is offline Find More Posts by dunc_201
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2014, 02:48 PM
Find More Posts by dskoul
Joined Oct 2013
220 Posts
APM 2.6 ...

much better choice and best value for money
especially the 3.1 firware is amazing ...
dskoul is offline Find More Posts by dskoul
Old Jan 02, 2014, 02:53 PM
Joined Dec 2013
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dskoul View Post
APM 2.6 ...

much better choice and best value for money
especially the 3.1 firware is amazing ...
They are around the same price though? Both 199 dollars from 3D robotics, and it seems that the pixhawk is simply the successor of the apm 2.6?
Old Jan 02, 2014, 04:12 PM
Joined Dec 2013
23 Posts
Anyone got any ideas?
Old Jan 02, 2014, 05:58 PM
Joined Dec 2013
23 Posts
Bump
Old Jan 03, 2014, 12:40 AM
Find More Posts by Tonycapil
United States, NV, Henderson
Joined Oct 2013
44 Posts
I am doing a similar build but chose the Xaircraft Super X flight system. It has been getting great reviews and I'm waiting for it to ship. I have an apm 2.5 and its a great for tuning. I'll get a pixhawk when It is clearly worth it over the current 2.5/2.6.
Tonycapil is offline Find More Posts by Tonycapil
Old Jan 03, 2014, 04:56 AM
Joined Dec 2013
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonycapil View Post
I am doing a similar build but chose the Xaircraft Super X flight system. It has been getting great reviews and I'm waiting for it to ship. I have an apm 2.5 and its a great for tuning. I'll get a pixhawk when It is clearly worth it over the current 2.5/2.6.
Ah right, what does the 2.5/2.6 have over the pixhawk at the moment? I just don't want to buy something where in 6 months time it's extremely old haha
Old Jan 06, 2014, 08:38 PM
Find More Posts by Shamgar5k
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jan 2014
117 Posts
I just got a basic mini quad for Christmas and its really spiked my interest in this hobby. Ever since I've been reading like crazy trying to gain knowledge so I can build my own.

The pixhawk has really caught my attention as well. From what I gather the Pixhawk is brand new and just started shipping in December/January but has great potential to be a really great copter.

I believe the Pixhawk can run same software that the APM 2.5 and 2.6 uses except it has Ram and CPU power to give you more features in the future via software updates.
Shamgar5k is offline Find More Posts by Shamgar5k
Old Jan 06, 2014, 09:05 PM
Find More Posts by LoneStriker
Joined Oct 2013
789 Posts
Pixhawk is 32-bits. The older APMs are using older, much lesser capable chips. The Arducopter software runs on both, but it's more mature and battle-tested on APM hardware. That will change with time. Pixhawk is the future platform and where the more interesting new features will be showing up. I don't think most people are using Pixhawk yet for any serious/big birds yet, as it hasn't proven itself. It'll get there and I will probably buy one myself in the near future to put on a test MR.

As for which one is better for you, that's a judgment call. Naza V2 is stable and well tested as is APM. Naza is easier to setup and more plug-and-play for OSD. APM can take a bit more configuration to get OSD going. I assume Pixhawk will be similar to APM in that department. Either Naza or Pixhawk will likely suit your needs, one is more plug-and-play, the other offers many more options for less money, but will take more time to configure and tune.
LoneStriker is offline Find More Posts by LoneStriker
Old Jan 07, 2014, 01:03 PM
Joined Dec 2013
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamgar5k View Post
I just got a basic mini quad for Christmas and its really spiked my interest in this hobby. Ever since I've been reading like crazy trying to gain knowledge so I can build my own.

The pixhawk has really caught my attention as well. From what I gather the Pixhawk is brand new and just started shipping in December/January but has great potential to be a really great copter.

I believe the Pixhawk can run same software that the APM 2.5 and 2.6 uses except it has Ram and CPU power to give you more features in the future via software updates.
Ah right, im dying to get mine built so I can learn! it's killing me having the frame just sitting here! Yeah I think it's probably worth investing in the future and getting the pixhawk, as it will probably be widely used in a few months time

Thanks!
Old Jan 07, 2014, 01:06 PM
Joined Dec 2013
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStriker View Post
Pixhawk is 32-bits. The older APMs are using older, much lesser capable chips. The Arducopter software runs on both, but it's more mature and battle-tested on APM hardware. That will change with time. Pixhawk is the future platform and where the more interesting new features will be showing up. I don't think most people are using Pixhawk yet for any serious/big birds yet, as it hasn't proven itself. It'll get there and I will probably buy one myself in the near future to put on a test MR.

As for which one is better for you, that's a judgment call. Naza V2 is stable and well tested as is APM. Naza is easier to setup and more plug-and-play for OSD. APM can take a bit more configuration to get OSD going. I assume Pixhawk will be similar to APM in that department. Either Naza or Pixhawk will likely suit your needs, one is more plug-and-play, the other offers many more options for less money, but will take more time to configure and tune.
Yeah I think the apm 2.6 is 8 bit where the pixhawk is 32bit so when I'm running servos, osd and fpv I think an 8bit could slightly over-exert! Haha, and the dji naza seems to be a bit too much 'user friendly' and the accessories cost a fortune! I'm pretty set on getting the 3dr pixhawk with the gps at $280, it's a high price but I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and get it because I've got a guaranteed few years with it!
Old Jan 08, 2014, 11:06 PM
Find More Posts by Shamgar5k
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jan 2014
117 Posts
Yeah that's exactly what I'm thinking. Seems like there is a lot of potential for some great new features in the future. Some friends at work and I have started practice flying our mini quads at lunch. We are all about to place a bulk order from HobbyKing to save on shipping. I'm thinking it will go nicely on an F450 ARF set.

..Off to do more research on TX controllers now!
Shamgar5k is offline Find More Posts by Shamgar5k
Old Jan 20, 2014, 05:42 AM
Find More Posts by wahono
Indonesia, Jawa Tim., Kota Malang
Joined Jan 2014
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunc_201 View Post
They are around the same price though? Both 199 dollars from 3D robotics, and it seems that the pixhawk is simply the successor of the apm 2.6?
You may get much lower price by buying clone of APM. Check it at HK. I think chinese clones of Pixhawk will appear soon as it is an open source hardware.
wahono is offline Find More Posts by wahono
Old Feb 16, 2014, 03:31 PM
Find More Posts by Deserteagle83
Mastering the basics
United States, GA, Canton
Joined Feb 2014
392 Posts
So which route did you go? DJI Naza v2, 3DR Pixhawk, or XAircraft SuperX? I wish there was someone out there doing head to head comparisons of the different flight controllers. Listing the pro's the cons, and how each of them works in comparison to one another. Likewise for doing head to heads for different OSD's.
Deserteagle83 is offline Find More Posts by Deserteagle83
Old Feb 16, 2014, 03:40 PM
Joined Dec 2013
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserteagle83 View Post
So which route did you go? DJI Naza v2, 3DR Pixhawk, or XAircraft SuperX? I wish there was someone out there doing head to head comparisons of the different flight controllers. Listing the pro's the cons, and how each of them works in comparison to one another. Likewise for doing head to heads for different OSD's.
I went for the pixhawk in the end. The dji naza is a lot of money for what you get and there will always be a better, newer dji flight controller on the market however the pixhawk is pretty much future proof, half of the features and components aren't functioning as there isn't any software to produce it yet! And memory wise the pixhawk is a lot better. I just bit the bullet and paid $280 for the pixhawk plus the 3dr gps from 3D robotics and it's the best money I've spent. My quadcopter isn't built yet but I've plugged it in and there's so many features! Be sure to either buy the telemetry set or a 2m micro usb cable so you can connect it to the mission planner software on your laptop. I'm afraid I've never heard of x aircraft :s

Yeah someone really needs to do one! But for osd I think minimosd seems the best, all the others come with fancy, unnecessary features when the minimosd is simply a tiny circuit board with the same or better features as it's competition.

But the best thing to do before you get a flight controller is to figure out what you want it for. If I was just wanting to fly it around as a hobby now and then I probably would have got a naza light. Cheap, basic and reliable but however if you do more research and find the better alternatives it's definitely worth your while. hope this helps!!