SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 25, 2013, 11:17 PM
Find More Posts by Jet_Flyer
AKA 8178
Joined May 2004
1,963 Posts
I want to thank all the supporters and visitors to the Sabre 56 build thread that have help the thread to become the third most visited "build thread" on RC Groups in only 191 days right behind my number two place Skylark 56 build.

It as been much fun and I can't wait to go flying with the Sabre.

Mike
Jet_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Jet_Flyer
Last edited by Jet_Flyer; Nov 25, 2013 at 11:22 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2013, 11:23 PM
Find More Posts by doxilia
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
2,373 Posts
Always a pleasure Mike.

Be sure to post your customary completed model sunny outdoor pictures!

David
doxilia is offline Find More Posts by doxilia
Old Nov 26, 2013, 11:58 AM
AKA 8178
Joined May 2004
1,963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxilia View Post
Always a pleasure Mike.

Be sure to post your customary completed model sunny outdoor pictures!

David
Sure will David. We are having an unusual amount of rain so no outside pictures or flying for awhile.

Mike
Old Nov 29, 2013, 02:04 PM
R_G
Find More Posts by R_G
R_G
Wanna Hover? Fly a Heli!
United States, PA, Farrell
Joined May 2010
805 Posts
Sure looks nice out in the sun!

Mike, are you going to put any type of trim around the canopy to highlight the frame?

Ralph
R_G is offline Find More Posts by R_G
Old Nov 29, 2013, 06:10 PM
Find More Posts by jpurcha
Canada, MB, La Salle
Joined Sep 2004
566 Posts
Nice looking plane. Looking forward to the maiden flight video.

Jim
jpurcha is offline Find More Posts by jpurcha
Last edited by jpurcha; Jan 29, 2015 at 06:53 AM.
Old May 02, 2015, 02:04 PM
AKA 8178
Joined May 2004
1,963 Posts
The Sabre Flys!

I was finally able to get the Sabre 56 out to the field and get some first flights in. At four pounds and the Irvine 46 in the nose it feels really light.

I have way too much control throw, but I did not mess with that until I got back home. Note the roll at the top of the loop, and that was on low rates! It needed a tad of trim, but not much.

Somehow I got the fuel tank vent and pickup reversed and that was very evident on the first fueling. Was able to fix that with a chunk of fuel tubing I had in my flight box.

The Spring Air retracts worked great as expected, but nose wheel tiller needs to be re-centered on the strut because it is off a tad. I’m thankful for the reliability of the Spring Airs because the pretty red air intake would look nasty scooping up tarmac.

The Irvine 46 had a bad rod before I installed it in the Sabre and a friend of mine re-bushed it. I ordered a complete set of spare parts just in case, but the engine is running great with the new rod bushings.

The Sabre was set up when I built it with my Futaba gear so I was using my Futaba 12FG.

Here is a HD (click the gear to select HD) video of a short flight. The video doesn’t show it very well, but it looks super great in the air with the gear up and the sun reflecting on the silver covering with the bright yellow stripes.

Sabre 56 (2 min 24 sec)

Build Complete!
Last edited by Jet_Flyer; May 02, 2015 at 02:39 PM.
Old May 02, 2015, 05:24 PM
Find More Posts by dhal22
United States, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Dec 2007
761 Posts
Very nice. Great day for flying here. 80F? and light wind. I got a couple of flights in myself today.
dhal22 is offline Find More Posts by dhal22
Old May 02, 2015, 07:58 PM
R_G
Find More Posts by R_G
R_G
Wanna Hover? Fly a Heli!
United States, PA, Farrell
Joined May 2010
805 Posts
Very Cool Mike!

Congratulations on another great build!

Ralph
R_G is offline Find More Posts by R_G
Old May 08, 2015, 12:06 PM
AKA 8178
Joined May 2004
1,963 Posts
Thanks Dave and Ralph. It is a fun little beast.

Mike
Old May 08, 2015, 12:10 PM
AKA 8178
Joined May 2004
1,963 Posts
Fate is so interesting in how it may or may not impact your life.

It was an absolutely perfect day for flying in Atlanta, so I made my way out to the field early. I decided to leave early and as I made my way home on the I285 beltway that loops around Atlanta there was a massive traffic jam near my exit. Turns out an aircraft had engine failure and crashed and burned right at my exit.

Luckily I didn’t leave the field earlier or I could have been at the wrong place and the wrong time at the exit. They have shut down all the east and west lanes and I can’t imagine what a huge traffic mess there will be.

Took a couple more pictures with a different camera.

Mike
Old May 09, 2015, 07:36 AM
Find More Posts by dhal22
United States, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Dec 2007
761 Posts
Mike, that plane crash had a huge impact on Atlanta (absolutely no pun intended) yesterday. Schools, businesses, traffic were affected for miles in every direction. I sent one of my employees home early to allow him to work his way around the issue. I hate to see a plane go down, this one was ugly.

David
dhal22 is offline Find More Posts by dhal22
Old May 09, 2015, 08:25 PM
AKA 8178
Joined May 2004
1,963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhal22 View Post
Mike, that plane crash had a huge impact on Atlanta (absolutely no pun intended) yesterday. Schools, businesses, traffic were affected for miles in every direction. I sent one of my employees home early to allow him to work his way around the issue. I hate to see a plane go down, this one was ugly.

David
It was a tragedy and a huge traffic mess at the same time. Without I285 operating the ability to get east or west in northeast Atlanta is almost imposable.

Mike
Old May 29, 2015, 03:39 PM
AKA 8178
Joined May 2004
1,963 Posts
Another great day at the field with the Sabre 56. I'm flying it with my FrSky Taranis Plus now and it is working fine. Nice to have the telemetry.

Although I'm not a fan of the tiller type steering they used on the 40 size Spring Air retracts they are working good as expected.

The Sabre is really a fun little beast to fly, light and fast. Looks pretty cool with the swept wing and the gear retracted.

One of the guys at the field that uses Spektrum (DX18?) saw my Taranis Plus and after a short demo of the OpenTX features he is ordering one this afternoon from Aloft Hobbies.

Mike