New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 09, 2015, 01:40 PM
Find More Posts by epilot
Remote island inhabitant
Faroe Islands, Sandoy, Sandur
Joined Nov 2000
6,411 Posts
I'm a total novice when it comes to EDF. However since I'm about to embark on a Depron molding adventure I though there might be some opportunities with EDF.
epilot is offline Find More Posts by epilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2015, 03:04 PM
Find More Posts by streff
Southport Merseyside UK
Joined Jan 2006
143 Posts
S3 Viking video

Finally managed to get someone to video the Viking so here is a link
Eric's S 3 Viking (0 min 52 sec)
streff is offline Find More Posts by streff
Old May 15, 2015, 06:32 AM
Find More Posts by R31 Mark
amidoinitrite¿ ¿
Joined Feb 2012
87 Posts
My P80

This is my P80 that I just finished up tonight, yet to maiden but hopefully she will fly well!
R31 Mark is offline Find More Posts by R31 Mark
Old May 15, 2015, 09:56 AM
Find More Posts by speedy01
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R31 Mark View Post
This is my P80 that I just finished up tonight ....
Markings look very good - how did you do them?

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old May 16, 2015, 02:53 AM
amidoinitrite¿ ¿
Joined Feb 2012
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
Markings look very good - how did you do them?

Gene K
Hi Gene! Thankyou, the USAF, aircraft no and stars are just printed on regular a4 printer paper haha, the other details are done with paint marker pens
Old May 16, 2015, 03:47 AM
amidoinitrite¿ ¿
Joined Feb 2012
87 Posts
By the way, where are people placing their batteries on these planes? I had a lot of trouble getting my plane to fly straight because of the batt! -_-
Old May 17, 2015, 11:04 PM
Find More Posts by MUTCAKE
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
989 Posts
R31 Mark,
I really like the artwork on your plane. I read your other posts about the problems your having with your plane. I hope this helps.

1. Looking straight down on you plane is the fan unit straight?
2. Is the fuselage warped in any way perhaps from the push rods? (check by moving the stick and watching for twisting)
3. Look at the plane from the front and see if there is any wing warping going on.

On one of mine the control rods were warping the fuselage. It should not matter which side your battery is on. I have placed up to 300 mah batteries on either side with no problems. You may just want to build another to see if you can overcome this tendency to pitch to the left. I hope this works for you. Your plane is so nice (I actually like it better than mine) So don't give up. You may also try to build your own using any 3 view drawing. It may be even better than you could hope for.
MUTCAKE is offline Find More Posts by MUTCAKE
Old May 17, 2015, 11:09 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
989 Posts
Oh yeah, Battery placement is marked on the plan just in front of the air intake! I could actually go a bit further forward as this was made to also take 250-300mah batteries as well.
Old May 18, 2015, 02:24 AM
amidoinitrite¿ ¿
Joined Feb 2012
87 Posts
Hi Mutcake,

Thankyou for the encouragement and kind words Means a lot to me but I have to admit that I couldn't have done it without your plans man, never built and flown my own plane before this one. Thankyou for the plans

1. The fan unit looks pretty much straight to me, I've done some fiddling with it prior and I don't THINK that its the fan.

2. The fuse is sort of slightly bent but because of multiple crashes and stuff, when I move the rudder and elevator the body retains its shape.

3. wings look pretty even to me, not 100% identical but I doubt it would make the plane fly erratically.

I may build another at some point just to see what difference there is, thankyou again The battery placement you indicated is the one that I went with initially, which for me did not work unfortunately.

I am thinking of making this with ailerons if I made another MUTCAKE, have you experimented with ailerons on these so far? I am more of an aileron than rudder flyer anyways :P
Old May 18, 2015, 09:11 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
989 Posts
Yes I have experimented with ailerons on this plane and It worked but rolls were verrrrry slow. Otherwise they worked well at turning the plane (with rudder). Since this is a jet there's not a lot of wind over the control surfaces so they have to be relatively large. I was going to try again with the brushless 1s version. I figured it would work better since it was quite a bit faster but the wings kept folding so I kinda gave up for a while. I haven't even flown a plane since last year due to starting a new job but your posts have actually encouraged me to build again. Thanks
Old May 19, 2015, 06:20 AM
Find More Posts by speedy01
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTCAKE View Post
I haven't even flown a plane since last year ....
Hopefully you'll be getting settled in and back in the air for more experimentation!

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old May 19, 2015, 09:23 AM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
989 Posts
speedy01,

Thanks I hope so. My goal with this model was to have an easy to build 1S edf flyer with parkzone style flight characteristics. I also wanted to choose readily available parts to build it from, so as many as possible could fly it. I wanted to prove that 1S jets were not only possible but easy to build and fly if you keep the weight low.

R31 Mark,
I love flying full house (4 channel) planes. Rudder and elevator planes fly great and are very relaxing but not really my style.
My next challenge is to build a 4 channel 1S edf jet based on Eflite's 1S brushless upgrade. (well at least throttle, aileron and elevator). I would like to see if I can develop ailerons (not tailerons) on these models for fully aerobatic backyard flying. It will more than likely be an early nearly straight wing jet using eflite gear Non-AS3X or DT rx. We will see.
Old May 20, 2015, 04:32 AM
amidoinitrite¿ ¿
Joined Feb 2012
87 Posts
Mutcake

I'm glad to hear that I've helped inspire you to get back into the hobby, I hope you do when you find the time I'm keen to see what you come up with, is the brushless that little blue motor?

Cheers, Mark
Old May 20, 2015, 10:46 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
989 Posts
Yes it's the eflite brushless upgrade for their nano cp heli. I also used it on this model 4channel P-80. But it kept folding the wings. It's a great little motor for our purposes but reportedly not much else!