New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2015, 08:21 PM
Find More Posts by ryan_m
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,811 Posts
Do we KNOW that the 65 amp one works better? The 85 amp models used to work great on the Motrolfly 4315 (on an ExtremeFlight 60" plane) about a year and half ago. Then something changed on the Gecko line and they now have serious timing problems. Had three friends that all bought them about 6-9 months back on my recommendation, and all three Gecko's had issues and wouldn't work. Read many other reports of others with Gecko problems on the 4315 motor.

While I agree that the 65 amp model is just fine on the 51 Slick, I do wonder if the ones made in the last year will actually work just fine on the 3615, or if they are like the 85 amp ones and have problems?
ryan_m is online now Find More Posts by ryan_m
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2015, 09:12 PM
Find More Posts by WADETN
TWO WEEKS BABY
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Oct 2012
113 Posts
My last ZTW just quit working. No warning, no getting hot, nothing. I'm not taking a chance and touching another new ZTW esc until I've heard they have gotten the issues fixed and then after it is confirmed by people who have ran them and can report they are working well.
WADETN is offline Find More Posts by WADETN
Old Jul 18, 2015, 10:37 PM
Find More Posts by Gregertman
United States, IL, Glenwood
Joined Nov 2013
1,699 Posts
I agree with that. I wouldn't trust a ZTW esc for at least a year after they get them to work and prove them self. By the way the newer geko esc doesn't work with Torque motors eather.
Gregertman is online now Find More Posts by Gregertman
Old Jul 19, 2015, 10:45 AM
Find More Posts by Brush Hog
United States, NC, Smithfield
Joined Jul 2012
554 Posts
There is a firmware update for Geckos that fixes the acceleration issues some of the later ones have. The troubled ones do have issues with the 3615 too but the update cures that, at least it did on mine. I have several older ones that work perfectly and 2 updated ones that are trouble free. While they were working on the updated firmware I tried a Castle edge and talon and I'm less than impressed with both. It may be a case of liking what I was used to but the throttle response on the Castles was in my opinion very poor compared to the working Geckos. I ended up having to use throttle curves with them and they were also a pita to setup compared to the Geckos. Garret at Altitude hobbies has the updated firmware if anyone needs it. I won't send the one I have via PM and I wouldn't really recommend others do it either as He is in contact with ZTW and been working with them on the issue so he'll have the latest one.
Brush Hog is online now Find More Posts by Brush Hog
Old Jul 19, 2015, 12:29 PM
Find More Posts by brick1
United States, IL, Highland Park
Joined Apr 2011
29 Posts
I was unable to get the firmware update that Garret sent me to run properly. It would abort at 42% complete. My first attempt was made using an old version of Windows (XP, I think) bootcamped (natively) on my Mac. Figured maybe the update software isnt compatible w/ the old Windows program so tried again on a PC running Windows 7 and the exact same thing happened. It's possible my first attempt using old Windows somehow corrupted the update (?), but at this point I'm just frustrated and done spending time/money trying to make the Gecko work. I DO have a 65A Gecko in my 48" Vyper (which works fine w/ a hacker motor) maybe I'll bench test it in my Slick to see if it's different from the 85A and report back...
brick1 is offline Find More Posts by brick1
Old Jul 19, 2015, 02:30 PM
Find More Posts by tuck
Rouge Field
United States, CA, Citrus Heights
Joined Feb 2009
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WADETN View Post
I totally messed that up. The ESC was fine, it was the servo that went bad. I sent it to hitec for them to take a look at.
Ok Good, that is an easier pill to swallow, kind of.
I'm sorry to hear it.

It seems like these throttle issues in the ESCs started happening a lot more right after the programmable voltage esc began. I've had 2 icelite 50,s one failed after 300+ flights, which is a good life for an ESC. But since the cc ice were discontinued it seems like CC programmable voltage ESCs and geckos are failing a lot. It seems sticking with an external BEC is the safest bet.
tuck is offline Find More Posts by tuck
Last edited by tuck; Jul 19, 2015 at 02:38 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 02:56 PM
Joined Apr 2011
29 Posts
Looks like there's a big inventory sale on a bunch of CC ESC & related products. Anyone know if the CC Edge Lite 75 works w/ the MF3615-750, or is that another one w/ timing issues? Here's a link to the sale (found it looking for Talon 90 + castle link, but they don't have it...):

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=Castle+link
Old Jul 30, 2015, 06:16 PM
Find More Posts by SteveT.
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
31,523 Posts
That one should work..

SteveT.
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Yesterday, 04:05 PM
Joined Apr 2011
29 Posts
Thanks Steve!