SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 20, 2015, 11:24 PM
Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
18,511 Posts
I still need to adapt the stock metal motor mount to fit the FMS 5060. The mounting holes are slightly wider and the shaft collar is too big for the existing hole. I got the motor here, and then a NIP HobbyWing 100A ESC. Already had a stock FMS prop, so I will use that.

Also found some HS-65HB servos hiding in a pile of stuff that I will use to replace the flap servos. I may use HXT900s on the ailerons, and some larger HXT servos for elevator and rudder.

And I need to get new retracts.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2015, 11:35 PM
Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
3,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
I still need to adapt the stock metal motor mount to fit the FMS 5060. The mounting holes are slightly wider and the shaft collar is too big for the existing hole. I got the motor here, and then a NIP HobbyWing 100A ESC. Already had a stock FMS prop, so I will use that.

Also found some HS-65HB servos hiding in a pile of stuff that I will use to replace the flap servos. I may use HXT900s on the ailerons, and some larger HXT servos for elevator and rudder.

And I need to get new retracts.

Pat
Yup, adapting isn't difficult, just think it out, mark out & dry fit before drilling, double check everything before commiting. As they say in the trades- measure twice, cut once

In this case I found it easier re-drilling the X plate to suit the U mount.
My 2000mm LX P40 it was easier to replace the X plate with a custom job from ally plate. Yup, the existing shaft hole may need to be drilled out, depends on the motor.

Sounds like you are almost there, awesome! I'd think she should fly very nicely with the FMS power plant/4 blader.

Which 5060 did you go for?
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
Old Jun 21, 2015, 10:52 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
18,511 Posts
I got the standard 300kv. They 360kv was not available new except at a place that wanted too much for it. So I got a used 300 here. Unfortunately, I don't have the x plate for it. I think the current version of the FMS P-47 uses a big plate wall that secures to a motor box. But I'll make the Starmax motor mount work.

Pat
Old Jul 03, 2015, 11:29 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
18,511 Posts
Finally got some time to work on the P-47. FMS 300kv motor and stock prop are now installed, along with a HobbyWing 100A Opto ESC, Castle 10A BEC, and replaced servos for elevator and rudder (had some HXT's on hand that were drop in fit). I still may replace the retracts and the servos in the wings.

Maiden flight tomorrow morning!

Pat
Old Jul 05, 2015, 04:29 AM
Joined May 2010
3,353 Posts
Nice!
The retracts you can gamble on, possibly even flap servos, but you're a gambling man if you maiden with the stock ails servos
She's looking great, mate!
Is that the stock prop or did you end up going the fms prop?

Good luck with your maiden!

Or if I'm too late already... hope your maiden went perfectly!
Old Jul 05, 2015, 11:48 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
18,511 Posts
Stock FMS prop. Maiden did not happen, one of the mains folded during the takeoff run and broke one prop blade.

So, I will order new blades and get my hands on some better retracts. I'll replace the flap and ailerons servos as well.

Pat
Old Jul 05, 2015, 07:29 PM
Joined May 2010
3,353 Posts
Quote:
Stock FMS prop. Maiden did not happen, one of the mains folded during the takeoff run and broke one prop blade.

So, I will order new blades and get my hands on some better retracts. I'll replace the flap and ailerons servos as well.

Pat
That's a bugger, but I guess it could've been worse

If you keep it FMS format lol FMS now sell a full metal upgrade retract, I read good reports on them so I've bought a set myself for my 1700mm P51, I haven't installed them yet, they certainly look strong, circuitry reliability is the only thing to prove long term.
I have eflite retracts installed but it was a hassle getting them in there, I squeezed as much fwd rake as possible without going into major surgery but I really would like more forward rake, even on manicured grass I still have to ride the elev stick to prevent nose over, pavement is ok. Next time round I'd be keen to get the FMS all metal retracts with the FMS 1700mm P47 oleos, then install them with decent fwd rake, that'd have to be happy days
Old Jul 25, 2015, 02:24 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
18,511 Posts
Finally managed the maiden today! It almost didn't happen because when I replaced the main retracts, I had to reverse the switch in my radio to get them to cycle properly. What I didn't think about was the tail retract. Got to the field today and plugged it in, and found out the problem (mains up, tail down and visa versa).

A friend said to drop the tail wheel, then unplug it and fly with it extended. So that's what I did. And she flew great! Not a speed demon, but very nice and stable and scalelike, which is what I was after.

Before this, I had replaced all the servos in the wing with Emax, the elevator and rudder with HXTs, and replaced the main retracts with Freewing brand. Everything worked great.

Got a total of 2 flights in. I only have one 6S 5000 pack, and after flying for 4 minutes, I checked the pack and still had 52% remaining. So later I flew another 2.5 minutes and had 28% left. Reset the timer for 6 minutes.

My buddy Barrett got some really nice pics.

Pat
Old Jul 25, 2015, 05:59 PM
Joined May 2010
3,353 Posts
Awesome! Glad your maiden went well
I'd assume the P47 would fly with a little more power than the FMS 1700mm P51 with both sharing the same stock power setup, perhaps scale flying with a little more?
What's your opinion of her flying characteristics?

If the weather is favourable I'll be re-maidening my P47 on 8 cell

BTW gorgeous pics!
Old Jul 25, 2015, 07:16 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
18,511 Posts
She flew well actually. Loops and rolls on maiden, no problem. She looks like a Jug! Didn't seem that fast to me, but she is bigger than my usual planes, so I'm sure perception had a little to do with it.

Tail came off the ground in less than 10'. Nice smooth touch down on the mains and the tail stayed up. I actually had to force the tail down after some roll out in order to steer.

Overall, I'm pleased!

Pat
Old Jul 26, 2015, 11:09 PM
Joined May 2010
3,353 Posts
Honestly Pat, I reckon this P47 airframe is a highly underrated plane, one of the best flying foamies I've had, and I have had a few
As I've mentioned this bird is the closest to a balsa plane to fly, just on rails. And her flight characteristics just seems to get better with more weight, I am curious to see how 8S is going to perform, more weight + more power
Ya, larger planes do appear to fly slow, until you fly a low n fast WOT low pass close in, then you get the reality of size + speed
I honestly hope HMD will revisit this P47 for a re-release, they're doing it to the old Starmax 1600mm A1 Skyraider and I think the Jug is a far more impressive plane in the air visually & to fly...

Anyhoo, I'm glad you're happy with her... I don't think there's many of us left with these
Old Jul 27, 2015, 12:15 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
18,511 Posts
Yeah, I'm looking hard at that Skyraider remake. But I'm torn between that and the 70mm F-104 coming out.

BTW, got the tail retract switched today and it now works in sync with the mains. It was easy, just switched the motor wires. I also stuck a pilot in it. It's the FMS 1700mm pilot, and I had to cut the floor out of the cockpit and lower it on popsicle sticks. But it looks better with the pilot in it now.

Pat
Old Jul 27, 2015, 06:18 AM
Joined May 2010
3,353 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, I'm looking hard at that Skyraider remake. But I'm torn between that and the 70mm F-104 coming out.

BTW, got the tail retract switched today and it now works in sync with the mains. It was easy, just switched the motor wires. I also stuck a pilot in it. It's the FMS 1700mm pilot, and I had to cut the floor out of the cockpit and lower it on popsicle sticks. But it looks better with the pilot in it now.

Pat
Oh yeah... A-1 or F-104... as much as I love the brutal looks of the A-1, the Starfighter is an awesome looking jet! Who's putting that on the market?

Never thought to switch the motor wires

I'll see how the 8 cell re-maiden goes, I might look at ripping out the mains and upgrading to fms 1700mm mains and put some decent fwd rake, then I'll look at maybe a 17x10x4 Beila or similar on 8S, at the moment I'm running the biggest MAS 3 blader I can find, 16x10x3 which I was running on 6 cell, this weekend same MAS prop on 8cell and if that goes well, then I'll feel justified in improving the main retracts for a bigger prop, then make the motor start working
Old Jul 27, 2015, 07:07 AM
Find More Posts by Olearsenewbie
United States, GA, Douglasville
Joined Apr 2012
273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy View Post
...I might look at ripping out the mains and upgrading to fms 1700mm mains...
I'm doing that right now. Actually been doing it in earnest over the past couple to 3 months. I'm using the cheaper and heavier 1700 mm FMS retracts. When it's all done, the setup will include a set of FMS 1700mm P-51 mains and a set of lighter weight 3.5" Dave Brown or Dubro wheels. Sort of a headache to retrofit which is why I'm dragging my feet. I think the FMS 1400mm P-51 retract units (retracts/mains/wheels) would be more of a drop-in and require less surgery.
Olearsenewbie is online now Find More Posts by Olearsenewbie
Old Jul 27, 2015, 09:56 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
18,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy View Post
Oh yeah... A-1 or F-104... as much as I love the brutal looks of the A-1, the Starfighter is an awesome looking jet! Who's putting that on the market?
There's a company in Taiwan called FN-RC, and up until now they've only done special order builds from CNC foam. Now they are working with Freewing on this 70mm F-104:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2325018

It's available now to the Taiwan market, and you can also drop ship it from Ready-2-Fly. But it is in the Taiwan markings. They are doing a US version too in the same SEA camo pattern, but that is still a month or so away.

Pat